Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

heater core question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:30 AM

so is there a control valve on a ea82 motor ?? heater core

#27 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:35 AM

I will have to go look at my pards 89 Loyale tomorrow. He had some heater issues related to the cheesy ratcheting door closer. His core is plugged also, and his wife forgot to put oil in it all summer. It is a tad noisier now, but still going 80 miles round trip a day. I will look and get back to you. I don't run one, sounds like the Skipper may.

#28 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 01 March 2004 - 01:04 AM

I Just pulled the whole dash out of an 87 turbo wagon, including the heater core box and ventelation controls,

There is no water control valve on this particular hot box. Only a heater core with tubes going to it. Heat is contoled with a flapper door that sends air around the heater core with adjustments made to the hot/cool slider bar.

Hope this helps, if you want pics e-mail me. I have the unit out of the car so I can get you any angle.

#29 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 01 March 2004 - 01:16 AM

Very well may be so. Bad assumption on my part to think an 86 is an EA-81. Part of the time warp us Brat guys get into. Having gone through similar circumstances not too long ago, I would have done anything to get out of removing the heater. Seems that the last time I looked at the Loyale, the hoses seemed to go into the back of the heater from the firewall. But it is a much newer car than mine, so I didn't think too much about it, except to figure out how to put the vent or cold air door back into operation. Didn't make the heater work any better, but at least it slowed the breeze down. My apologies if I got your hopes up. On checking the numbers, they seem to still have the same core, but after the early 80 Brat adventure, I wouldn't trust that either. Thanks for the heads up Skip.

#30 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:09 AM

Jim good luck on the swap out if you give it ago

And my apologies to BBS for the crack, sometimes when threads get this long it gets hard to read every post - your welcome and I'm sorry.

#31 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:12 AM

thanks again to everyone will give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users