Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL Wagon Mods (dial up warning: pictures!) NINTENDO!

This is awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product!

The first 20 solder points will be a pain, but you'll get in the grove of it, and the rest won't be so bad. I do quite a bit of really minuscule soldering and it isn't to bad once you get the technique down.

I got a hold of a used NES from someone today. Earlier I got it to show some garbled letters but now its just black and grey blinking. I'll replace the 72pin connector and it will be a-ok!

Here are some pics just for the heck of it.

DSC01953.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01960.jpg

The motherboard. This is the heart of the NES. The only other parts I really need are the controller plugs and power switch. The rest is extra, taking up space in my GL.

DSC01961.jpg

This is the connector that is the weak point of Nintendo systems. I bought 2 replacements on ebay for about 11 bucks, should be here by the end of the week.

DSC01962.jpg

It will probably be ok that this connector is bad. I will get to work on creating the cables to relocate the cartridge...

I am going to use an IDE ribbon cable. Stripping it wasn't hard.

DSC01963.jpg

Starting to solder it to the pins.

DSC01966.jpg

Whoooo that took a while to solder.... and a kinda crummy job too. I need 2 extra wires on this set of pins. There is another 30 some odd pins on the opposite side of the connector waiting to be soldered. I'll get another ribbon to do this tomorrow or something.

DSC01968.jpg

Edited by mulletsquirrel

86 pin SCSI cables have more pins, and are generally longer than IDE cables :)

Of course you can use an 80 pin dual channel IDE cable, but you don't get as long lengths as the 40 pin ones...

I just had the IDE lying around is why I chose to use it. Should only need to go a few feet. The IDE I believe is 34 pins, 34x2 cables = 68, which means I should only have 4 extra wires besides the two ribbons. I think it should work fine ( as long as I re-solder the bad soldering from last night ).

Yes indeed. The easiest way to tell the difference between IDE and floppy is this. The index pin (the filled in hole so you plug it in the right way) on IDE is right near the middle. One floppy cables it is about 4 from one end. Otherwise if you don't have one of each to compare it can be a little hard to tell the difference without counting.

Finally finished the soldering on the NES. Wow was that a bee-hatch. 144 total solder joints, many resolders later..... EDIT: I now realize that I will have to resolder one side. My original NES cartridge slot thing is getting really crappy. I have some coming in the mail that I will solder. Then it should work as well as new!

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

DSC01970-Copy.jpg

Still have a few kinks to work out.... Click the video below:

th_M4V01972.jpg

Edited by mulletsquirrel

yeah like i said, its been awhile. i forgot how to spell it. and yes his "axe" is a Hamer. i play a custom warmoth bass, and custom les paul (non gibson, hence custom) among other "axes" im familiar with the term, as well as makes/ models of guitars. even built one once.

RV

More progress:

We go back into the Subaru!

Got my dash apart a bit and did a quick test of where the NES would go. ( Notice that I still have it in the bottom shell for protective purposes ) Hopefully It will all be able to fit in there and I can put the center console back on top of it.

So many damn wires inside there. I'll do a better job of tucking those away tomorrow.

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

Note I am in first gear.

DSC01990.jpg

DSC01991.jpg

It works! Well kinda.

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01993.jpg

While moving stuff around, I broke some solders, notice the funky display. By the time I was done, it was just showing weird blocks.

DSC01994.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

I brought the connectors back inside to do a better job soldering. Probably more progress tomorrow.