Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL Wagon Mods (dial up warning: pictures!) NINTENDO!

The only thing I would be a little concerned about is, if the old NES electronics will be able to take the heat of mid-summer in a closed up car...? It wasn't made to sit in 160+ Deg F.

the dog peed on my nintendo ruining. it when i was a kid. some time ago in 1987 or 88. Then my mom won me another one at a company picnic raffle.

I think I made some significant progress tonight!

I got the cartridge loader fit into the dash in approximately the correct spot.

DSC01996.jpg

VIDEO!!! sorry it is dark. :(

th_M4V02004.jpg

DSC01998.jpg

DSC01999.jpg

It is still a bit crooked...

DSC02000.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

DSC02002.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

I might have leveled up in the car hacking skill... :banana::lol:

DSC02005.jpg

I had to do some modifications to the faceplate. Used a hack saw. probably would have been faster if my Dremel wasn't dead.

DSC02006.jpg

DSC02007.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

I didn't feel like wrangling the head unit into the dash and deal with all of the wiring right now. Here is a mock up.

DSC02009.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02011.jpg

Hope you enjoy my project!

A bit more progress...

Managed to fit the cartridge loader into the dash along with the cd player (easier said than done with the limited space ).

DSC02018.jpg

Received the second monitor ( for the front seat ) in the mail from Hong Kong (eBay) and hooked it up. I got a composite splitter so the game can be shown on both screens simultaneously. I was worried about signal decay, but it looks fine!

DSC02012.jpg

I have to rework the connector ribbon cable because it kept failing, so more soldering in my future. However, I have a spare NES to use for testing in the mean time :). Here is what the setup looks like so far:

DSC02020.jpg

Things still to do:

• Solder Ribbon wire to connector reliably
  • Mount NES under Dash
  • Create a surround for the NES to clean up the look
  • Create a surround for the speakers and display on dash
  • Create a mount for the rear monitor

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I re-soldered the connections today, got the thing to turn on on the first try, although it resets every second. It shows the menus to Kung fu and excite bike though, so thats a good sign. Time to get the multimeter out!

I fixed a few bad solders and a pair of wires that were mixed around. Still didn't work. Then I figured it out and fixed it using a piece of cardboard from a Ziploc box. Excitebike/Kung Fu start on the first try! So this is what having a Nintendo in 1986 was like!

Edited by mulletsquirrel

• 1 month later...

Well Here's an idea that I won't pursue.. there are certain android based phones (evo, maybe epic?) .. or even tablets with say a 7" screen.. (or maybe a color nook)

anyway they run off of 5volts DC so you won't need an a/c converter,

they have a NES emulator with hundreds if not thousands? of games available,

they have bluetooth and you can use a wii controller..

the only thing is, i can't recall if it's restricted to an HDMI out? this would be a lot nicer on your cars electrical system.. and be less bulky..

btw i love my 88GL. i'm sure it'll need a clutch eventually though :\

For ideas, you can go to youtube and search for EVO SNES EMULATOR and HDMI out or whatever.. and see the in home setup, and then get ideas on

transfering it out ot the car.

all that wouls cost more than the car, versus a nintendo laying around. eulators are not the same, and on any other design than the NES controller, is not the same, except for Captain N's belt buckle. Not trying to hate. I got my new nintendo in 1986. now if i only knew what it was like to have a new suabru in 1986

Well Here's an idea that I won't pursue.. there are certain android based phones (evo, maybe epic?) .. or even tablets with say a 7" screen.. (or maybe a color nook)

anyway they run off of 5volts DC so you won't need an a/c converter,

they have a NES emulator with hundreds if not thousands? of games available,

they have bluetooth and you can use a wii controller..

the only thing is, i can't recall if it's restricted to an HDMI out? this would be a lot nicer on your cars electrical system.. and be less bulky..

btw i love my 88GL. i'm sure it'll need a clutch eventually though :\

For ideas, you can go to youtube and search for EVO SNES EMULATOR and HDMI out or whatever.. and see the in home setup, and then get ideas on

transfering it out ot the car.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the late update!

I sold the Subaru in 2011.  :(  I still miss that thing. These days I'm driving a 2002 Miata.

MiataThreeQuarter600x450.jpg

20150226_214012.jpg

Other cars I've had since the Subaru:

2006 Mazda RX-8

2011 Mazda 3 wagon

2012 Mazdaspeed 3 wagon

I haven't seen many of the 80's Subarus around lately, seems like they are a dying breed.  :unsure:

Maybe we'll meet again someday...