Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crank position sensor questions

while installing the 90 engine in my 86,the crank position sensor fell apart.We assume that it was dead to begin with,so does the ECM have a limp mode if this happens?

We jerry rigged the broken sensor,all good,but will the 90 sensor(1 wire) work with the 86 harness(2 wires)?Was one wire in 86 just a ground?

hm. I would guess knock sensor. sounds about right.

chill miles . no need to start a technicality war here.

I belive you are correct abouty the ground. on your 90 there was a ground sheilding in the wireing harness to the knock sensor. it reduces inductive signals that would confuse the ecm.

so you are using the 86 harness? you may want to get a early style knock sensor(2 wire).

Originally posted by rallyruss

chill miles . no need to start a technicality war here.

I

my bad, jumped the gun. but it does get old when someone posts, and someone else throws some remark to dismiss the post or the idea. seems like when SOMEONE in particular tries to shoot me down, i come back with some clever trick up my sleeve.

i see a bit of silence as of recent. oh well, i keep doing what i do, and people recognize that, and appreciate it

I find it funny that two such incredibly knowledgeable Sub guys can get into such pi**ing contests! You guys keep this board rollicking; Skip with the erudite statements designed to go over the head, and Miles with the earthy comebacks. I appreciate you both!

What a laugh, there is a 90 Subaru engine that does have a crank angle sensor, and a cam angle sensor, but the is an EJ22 (possible an EJ18 is Canada), but I doubt that is the engine he is putting in the car because the wiring is so different, a lot more then just one wire. Too bad he hasn't posted a picture yet, that would tell us a lot.

cant take a picture cause I dont have the cash for a camera,im too busy buying engines.It looks like a hall sensor,but maybe its not.how does the knock sensor work?would it have any thing to do with less than stellar acceleration with the new engine?It almsot feels like the wastegate line has a leak,but it doesnt..

It is the KNOCK sensor, no question.

Cam and crank angle are at the front of the engine, immediately behind the cam belt covers.

There was a redesign of the internals of the knock sensor, and the good one has a white connector - grey on the old style.

If the sensor returns a garbage signal, the ECU retards the timing and you can limp home. Just don't expect any throttle response :D