Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 mated to EA82 d/r yet again...

I think I have my answer, but I just want a yes from some one, because it sounds to me like there are a couple ways to do this.

I've heard that you can use the ea82 flywheel, but you have shave the ea81 housing to make it fit. I also hear that you don't have to do this? Which is correct?

I hear you can use the ea81 "large" 4wd flywheel with a ea82 turbo clutch kit. I hear with this though since the step between a ea82 flywheel and a ea81 is different that you might start slipping sooner due to the fact that the ea81 pressure plate is deeper then if you use a ea82 pressure plate.

I have a 4wd "large" ea81 flywheel that came out a of a 84 non turbo GL wagon with a 4 speed d/r. I'm just saying this so anyone can correct me if I don't have a "large" flywheel.

So to the point I can use my ea81 flywheel with a ea82 clutch kit?

Could I not just use a ea81 d/r clutch kit? This I never read about I am just wondering.

Are there any other options I can go with?

I used the "Large" EA81 flywheel with EA81 Pressure plate that matched it. For the clutch disc and T/O bearing I used EA82 stuff. You want the EA82 clutch disc with the 6 spring style center hub as the 4 larger spring style may not fit. You might be able to use XT6 stuff as well, just make sure the stepping on your flywheel is correct for the pressure plate used.

I had to lengthen the threaded adjustment portion of the clutch cable to make this work so there might be a better recipe. This is just what worked for me. Ask Jerry, BRATSRUS he has done TONS of these swaps and makes a nice kit for the cross-member and linkage.

Hey, Aaron, if you need an EA82 Flywheel I have a few.

You can use the 225mm EA81 Flywheel, with an EA82 clutch set. You may want to have the step machined to EA82 specs, Bob Forrest Machine will do it for $45 buck.

I've never actually done this though, and there is a slight difference in overall thickness(EA81 is thicker) So I'm unsure about things like Pilot bearing engagement and starter teeth. It's only a few MM and lots of people claim to have done it so it should work.

Otherwise the EA82 flywheel is the option, you would just need to transfer timing marks.

Also, do you want to work on that harness tommorow during the day? I will have a bit of time.

Personally I like to use the EA81 flywheel in order to keep the timing marks correct and not have to mess with the bell-housing. I have had them resurfaced to .815" step height.

Then the XT6 clutch parts (from the dealer as aftermarket don't seem to be anywhere close to correct). You can use everything for an XT6 if you have the step height reground.

This setup has worked fine for me.

GD

Also, do you want to work on that harness tommorow during the day? I will have a bit of time.
Sounds good, let me know when works best for you

Hi Aaron This is Jerry, call me i can tell you what you need to use in your set up i have done this many times. 1-509-952-2855 please call me before you spend any money on parts that you won't use or won't fit. Thanks Jerry
All give you a call in a bit, thanks.

And to everyone else thanks for your helpful responses!