Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheel bearings wont come out!!!

Im changin the front wheel bearings and the inner seal seams like its melted or stuck somehow I pretty much sraped it all out and tried punching it out from the outer side but it wont budge. Am I doing something wrong. I also tried to punch out from the inner side out. any suggestions?

Yeah - spline rust on the EJ's - that happens and those can be a real chore. The dealer has a special pusher for that occasion.

But he's here in the NW where rust isn't an issue and it looks like he's running an EA vehicle (judging by where the post was moved to and his avatar pic) and there's just no reason to use a press on the EA knuckles. The bearings drift right out with a brass punch.

GD

AFAIK the knuckle is still in the car. I went over there a couple weeks ago and drove the car but didn't feel/hear anything that concerned me at all?! I've been in contact with him a little over the past couple days, and I may stop by there today.

He definitely needs a bigger hammer! Probably a proper punch too.

Spencer

EA series wheel bearings are standard 6207's (2 per side) availible at any bearing house for about $5 to $10 each. You can get 6207-2RS bearings and have double-sealed wheel bearing assemblies. The seals are about $6 each from most auto parts stores. If you drift out the old bearings - using them to push out the seals - you can usually clean the seals and reinstall unless they are damaged. Typically they are just dirty. If they are still soft and not nicked or damaged - just put them back in. Especially if you use 2RS sealed/pre-greased bearings.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I recently had a lot of trouble getting a beariing out and after a heck of a lot of pounding (finally getting the bearing out) I found that the bearing seat (journal) was way out of round! The mechanic who had installed the bearing previously had just pounded it in there anyway, which (I believe) led to early bearing failure.

Question on the bearing and seals. Are they dealer items only or can most parts stores get them. If you have OME part numbers for ea82 can you list them or PM.

If you're like me, then the first time you do them, you'll struggle to find a good source of bearings.

GD, some other Oregonians, and I all use McGuire Bearing to get bearings for way less than what an auto parts store charges. There's one a little south of you in Seattle. Make sure to get 4 bearings if you want to do both front corners.

Jacob