Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Build!

1982gl4

Wow! That's some very nice work. I really love those wheels on the brat. I like the idea of awd too, especially with the bigger engine. Keep up the good work!

It looks like you may have got something figured out for the pictures, but I'll tell you anyway: Google makes a pretty good program called Picasa 3. it's free, and it let's you do basic editing and whatnot and you can export the pics to a folder in whatever size you want.

Thanks for the complements! Always nice to have some encouragement. Anyway some more progress today!!

All new timing components

4-6.jpg?t=1294527243

Turns out that the tensioner bracket is different between a 2.2 and a 2.5 so beware if you are making a Frankenmotor, the cam pulley will not go on if you have then one off the 2.5

1-12.jpg?t=1294527243

Sweet new clutch!

5-5.jpg?t=1294527243

11-2.jpg?t=1294527243

13.jpg?t=1294527621

19.jpg?t=1294527621

Sweet! So the 2.2 tensioner bracket goes on the 2.5 block and the rest of the timing components are all 2.2? How much clearance do you have on the drivers side at the frame area? Can't quite see from the photos. Lots on the pass side by the looks of it.

Edited by Crazyeights

Yep, the braket bolts right on the block I even used on off from a new style 2.2 like an 2002 and it was the same! The clearance is about the same on the drives side maybe a little less.

16.jpg?t=1294527621

-SB

Edited by 1982gl4
wrong pic

Good luck with that AWD swap. It was much more of a challenge then I had originally thought, but way worth it. The shift linkage and drive line clearance is very tight so you'll have to get a bit creative when you fabricate that. I had to have custom axles and drive line built too. I tried just about every combination of axles to get it to work, but in the end I just had some EJ axels shortened. I went with 4.111 gears and my hatch springs off of the line with brute force. I hope to put a frankenmotor in this summer too. The EJ22 is fine and all, but I want more power without adding a turbo. I'd also like to move to a 4.44 gear set with a front LSD.

Good luck with that AWD swap. It was much more of a challenge then I had originally thought, but way worth it. The shift linkage and drive line clearance is very tight so you'll have to get a bit creative when you fabricate that. I had to have custom axles and drive line built too. I tried just about every combination of axles to get it to work, but in the end I just had some EJ axels shortened.

Yeah I knew it was going to be a project, but I wanted it. Plus I only have one five speed D/R and I really want that in my wagon! I was also prepared for the CV's being to long. My dad modified a set for his Porsche 914 with a 2.5 so we have a history with that sort of thing, and the drive shaft should be easy enough. It will all just take time. The fab work isn't really a worry to me, just the wiring :confused:

Thanks for the input as always!

-SB

More Progress today! Got the trans in! Looks like the mount will be pretty easy to make as well! The mount on the AWD five speed is really close to the location of the original Brat one!

14-1.jpg?t=1295213704

17-1.jpg?t=1295213704

Oh and I started a bit of this today as well :dead:

1-13.jpg?t=1295213870

Made my own top engine mount today :)

1-12-1.jpg?t=1296429877

2-6-1.jpg?t=1296429877

3-6-1.jpg?t=1296429877

4-3-1.jpg?t=1296429877

I also started to look at how I was going to make a trans mount and it looks like it is going to be pretty easy! I'm just going to weld a plate to the original brat mount and drill two holes in it!

5-3-1.jpg?t=1296429877

I also started to look at how I was going to make a trans mount and it looks like it is going to be pretty easy! I'm just going to weld a plate to the original brat mount and drill two holes in it!

5-3-1.jpg?t=1296429877

Thanks for posting this. Any additional pics of your progress on the tranny mount would be appreciated. Also, have you considered using the EJ crossmember with different holes drilled into it?

Jacbo

Thanks for posting this. Any additional pics of your progress on the tranny mount would be appreciated. Also, have you considered using the EJ crossmember with different holes drilled into it?

I will post more pics as I do more work :) I have considered using the EJ trans mount, but it is oddly shaped for the brat. I'm sure you have seen one, but they are in an h pattern and it looked like it was going to be much simpler just to modify the brats original one due to how close they EJ mount is to the original location

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's it is challenging, I haven't worked on it in a week now because I have been crazy busy, but I have this next week off so I'm hoping I can find a lot of time to work on it. Luckily I go to school about 40 min away from my house so the weekends give me some time. And thanks for the complements about the brat, it's been a long work in progress, I got to drive it some last year on the stock drivetrain, but then I decided I wanted to go in a new direction with it.

I'm looking at some new ideas for it this week. I want coil-overs in the front because I don't feel like messing with my strut towers and they look like they will fit much better then what I have in there now. I also have been thinking about doing stand alone engine management. I know it's more money, and I know I have the harness already to cut and splice, but it would just be so cool to have it :slobber: It would give me such added tuning abilities. I have been looking at Megasquirt it seems like a good kit. If anyone has an opinion on these two ideas, I would love to here it!

5-3-1.jpg?t=1296429877

That's basically what I did. Seams to work alright. I still need to clean it up a bit.

That's basically what I did. Seams to work alright. I still need to clean it up a bit.

Did you have to bend then new mount up a bit so the trans cleared the brats x-member, or did it clear okay being flat? It looks like mine may have to get a bend in it. I most likely will be doing this tomorrow. (if I get motivated)

I eyed it up the best I could I used the brat drive shaft and a floor stand to hold it around where it needed to be. There looked to be quite a bit of clearance around it. Maybe the Hatchbacks had a different tunnel? I wouldn't think so being the both had the 4 speed d/r. Anyway it seemed to fit alright I will have to do a little more to it, and it's just bolted on to the trans right now two bolts and it's out again. I wont be able to finish it until next week now as I have to go back to school. I'm hoping I can get a driveshaft made up soon. I have a place willing to do it. Looks like the brat one needs to be lengthened a bit. I haven't done the measurements yet, but I'll let everyone know buy how much when I do!