Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Brat Build!

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#176 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Feels nice to be making updates on a regular basis. I got a lot done on this today. I pulled the old ms harness out of the brat, to make way for the EJ harness. I still need to put the stock carbbed harness back in, but that will happen soon enough. I took an intake off a spare 2.2 so i have an engine harness now, and also a non EGR intake. I disassembled that so i can clean it up, and paint it this week. I also took a tone of wiring out of the harness. I found that I can put the ecu in a similar location to the stock legacy one. The ecu case fits nicely on the passenger side floor, you loose a little foot room, but I don't sit on that side of the car

Getting there. Probably 90% done with it. 

The pile of wire I have removed. 

The bay stripped of standalone 

The new intake.

Passenger side foot well

#177 bertmann73

bertmann73

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

nice work. what are the main electrical hook up situations for the EJ swap as i want it in my wagon someday.

#178 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

At first it is a bit overwhelming with the whole harness in front of you. But you just start cutting things down that you don't need. Wipers, lights, radio, door wiring, the list goes on. Basically you end up with the connectors to the engine, fuel pump relay, ignition relay, and power and grounds for the ecu, power for the fuel pump, and the test connectors if you have an obd1 harness, or in my case the data link connector as I have an obd2 harness. I also started with a specific harness that I have been looking for. It's out of a brighton so there weren't many options to begin with, making the trimming much easier. 

#179 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

I got some work done on this today. Painted the intake, it looks so much better than the old one on the brat now. I also did some light polishing to it, not that it will matter much, as I didn't do anything to the heads. I painted the fuel rails, along with the brackets for the manifold. Tomorrow I'll be bolting it all back together and putting it on the brat. I forgot to pick up a knock sensor, but the one off the 2.2 may be okay for now. I don't know how old it is, but I know the car has 300k on it, and I would like to just swap it out... I also got a new 02 sensor as I don't plan on using the wide band on this anymore. I think my legacy is going to get that.

#180 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I got to work on this a lot today. 

I took out the whole ea81T harness, as there's no need for all that extra wring (more like fire hazard) I found the brat's old harness and trimmed that down. I took out a bunch of the A/C stuff, along with unused plugs to make the harness look neat. I just left what I would be using (at least on the engine bay side of it) I also got my new intake manifold on along with all the engine wring harness. 

Old ea81T cluster and harness 

gutted dash 

New intake manifold, and stripped bay. I think I may do a partial wire tuck like I did on my spfi swapped wagon. 

And the new (old) much, much simpler ea81 carb harness. 

#181 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Took a bunch of stuff off this today. Started on the wire tuck. Luckily the harness is much smaller than that of my spfi wagon as it was cali emissions so i can run it completely out of the engine bay with the exception of where the lights are. I also started stripping the bay of rust, and unneeded parts, such as the old battery box. I'll be switching it to the other side like I did on my wagon. But for this I have a rusty ea81T battery bracket as a template so I can make a new box!

Pretty bad rust in the strut tower, and the spare tire well. 

I'll be getting some paint for the bay this week, and hopefully getting everything welded up and looking nice. after that I can get it running! 

#182 88HatchMonster

88HatchMonster

Back in the Hatch

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Shelburne, VT

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Any updates this month?

This is an awesome build and gets me fired up for my "road" hatch project I've had in the works for way too long.

I'm psyched there's another crazy EA81 builder in VT!

#183 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

Thanks! I was psyched to see your build as well. I'm going to be working on it this week/next weekend hopefully. I haven't done much as I purchased another project car (something non Subaru for once) so purchasing that and bringing home as taken up the last few weeks, plus I went to north carolina in there as well, so it's been a busy month. But now that things have settled down and the other car is home it's time to get back working on this. 

#184 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Spent this afternoon welding up some on the strut towers. I cut all out all the rusty areas in the bay well. I was making great progress until I ran out of welding wire. I'll get some more at work tomorrow. Progress has been kind of slow on this as I have been tearing down an engine to send out to have the crank turned for one of my other projects, but I really want to start focusing on this heavily again!

#185 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Did some more welding on this today. most of it on the drivers side of the bay is finished at this point. Up next I need to figure out a way to hide a washer jug like I did on my wagon, than I can finish up the passenger's side, and spend hours grinding all the welds down. Progress is being made!  

#186 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Got some long overdue work done on this today. Finished up welding on the passenger's side of the engine bay. I only have a small section on the driver's side to weld up by the firewall, and found I need to fix one of the tow hook mounts as it has rusted out due to it being hit sometime in the past. Not really sure how I'm going to fix it yet but I'll figure it out in in the next few days. I also ground down all the welds, the bay is almost ready for a little filler and some paint.

1_zps26bf9be7.jpg

2_zps1601d722.jpg

3_zps0e26a882.jpg

Rust that needs to be fixed
4_zps01f8f440.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4, 22 June 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#187 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Worked on the brat some more today. Fixed all the rust in the lower section of the passenger side. Welded in a new tow hook mount should be good and strong now! I have just about all of the welding finished up. I have two small spots to finish and then its on to filler and paint. 

New tow hook mount. Its welded on the back side with more plate steel for support. 

Welded this section back to the brat, It broke away right below where the bumper mounts. 

#188 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Got some work on this done with my week off. Spent most of my time getting parts for one of my other cars ordered and up to the machine shop, and getting a stereo and camping gear into my vw bus. The rest of the time was spent with my friend who was up here from Virginia. Looks good, now I just have to get the harnesses in place, and finish and paint the lower valance.

1_zps2eff2c18.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4, 19 July 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#189 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Wrapped some stuff up this weekend. I installed the factory brat dash harness, and finished installing the cut down factory engine bay harness. Relocated my fuel filter, lengthened the wiper wiring, fixed a couple bad spots in the harness where it had been cut/ some connectors were missing. I also cut some more out of the EJ harness, right now I'm trying to decide what i need from the EJ dash harness. I don't think anything except the CEL. I plan on using a pressure sensor for the gauge in the EA dash, and already made an adaptor for the dash coolant temp sensor. After I cut some more out I should be getting close to starting it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users