Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Build!

1982gl4

Feels nice to be making updates on a regular basis. I got a lot done on this today. I pulled the old ms harness out of the brat, to make way for the EJ harness. I still need to put the stock carbbed harness back in, but that will happen soon enough. I took an intake off a spare 2.2 so i have an engine harness now, and also a non EGR intake. I disassembled that so i can clean it up, and paint it this week. I also took a tone of wiring out of the harness. I found that I can put the ecu in a similar location to the stock legacy one. The ecu case fits nicely on the passenger side floor, you loose a little foot room, but I don't sit on that side of the car

Getting there. Probably 90% done with it. 

1_zps7ba700e5.jpg

The pile of wire I have removed. 

2_zps984b9c78.jpg

The bay stripped of standalone 

3_zps6dca96d9.jpg

The new intake.

4_zpsab5522dc.jpg

Passenger side foot well

5_zpsc3cb2974.jpg

At first it is a bit overwhelming with the whole harness in front of you. But you just start cutting things down that you don't need. Wipers, lights, radio, door wiring, the list goes on. Basically you end up with the connectors to the engine, fuel pump relay, ignition relay, and power and grounds for the ecu, power for the fuel pump, and the test connectors if you have an obd1 harness, or in my case the data link connector as I have an obd2 harness. I also started with a specific harness that I have been looking for. It's out of a brighton so there weren't many options to begin with, making the trimming much easier. 

I got some work done on this today. Painted the intake, it looks so much better than the old one on the brat now. I also did some light polishing to it, not that it will matter much, as I didn't do anything to the heads. I painted the fuel rails, along with the brackets for the manifold. Tomorrow I'll be bolting it all back together and putting it on the brat. I forgot to pick up a knock sensor, but the one off the 2.2 may be okay for now. I don't know how old it is, but I know the car has 300k on it, and I would like to just swap it out... I also got a new 02 sensor as I don't plan on using the wide band on this anymore. I think my legacy is going to get that.

1_zps963924e9.jpg

2_zpse901d3fb.jpg
  • Like 1

I got to work on this a lot today. 

I took out the whole ea81T harness, as there's no need for all that extra wring (more like fire hazard) I found the brat's old harness and trimmed that down. I took out a bunch of the A/C stuff, along with unused plugs to make the harness look neat. I just left what I would be using (at least on the engine bay side of it) I also got my new intake manifold on along with all the engine wring harness. 

Old ea81T cluster and harness 

1_zps899e2ac4.jpg

gutted dash 

2_zps1381a5c7.jpg

New intake manifold, and stripped bay. I think I may do a partial wire tuck like I did on my spfi swapped wagon. 

3_zps1f8c1b10.jpg

4_zpsa43b85fb.jpg

And the new (old) much, much simpler ea81 carb harness. 

5_zpsab50e773.jpg
  • Like 1

Took a bunch of stuff off this today. Started on the wire tuck. Luckily the harness is much smaller than that of my spfi wagon as it was cali emissions so i can run it completely out of the engine bay with the exception of where the lights are. I also started stripping the bay of rust, and unneeded parts, such as the old battery box. I'll be switching it to the other side like I did on my wagon. But for this I have a rusty ea81T battery bracket as a template so I can make a new box!

1_zps42bcf9a3.jpg

Pretty bad rust in the strut tower, and the spare tire well. 

2_zps6bf571b7.jpg

3_zpsf0dfd0bd.jpg

4_zpsbc4d1b55.jpg

I'll be getting some paint for the bay this week, and hopefully getting everything welded up and looking nice. after that I can get it running! 

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I was psyched to see your build as well. I'm going to be working on it this week/next weekend hopefully. I haven't done much as I purchased another project car (something non Subaru for once) so purchasing that and bringing home as taken up the last few weeks, plus I went to north carolina in there as well, so it's been a busy month. But now that things have settled down and the other car is home it's time to get back working on this. 

• 2 months later...
Spent this afternoon welding up some on the strut towers. I cut all out all the rusty areas in the bay well. I was making great progress until I ran out of welding wire. I'll get some more at work tomorrow. Progress has been kind of slow on this as I have been tearing down an engine to send out to have the crank turned for one of my other projects, but I really want to start focusing on this heavily again!

1_zps12a7f46d.jpg
  • Like 2

Did some more welding on this today. most of it on the drivers side of the bay is finished at this point. Up next I need to figure out a way to hide a washer jug like I did on my wagon, than I can finish up the passenger's side, and spend hours grinding all the welds down. Progress is being made!  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Got some long overdue work done on this today. Finished up welding on the passenger's side of the engine bay. I only have a small section on the driver's side to weld up by the firewall, and found I need to fix one of the tow hook mounts as it has rusted out due to it being hit sometime in the past. Not really sure how I'm going to fix it yet but I'll figure it out in in the next few days. I also ground down all the welds, the bay is almost ready for a little filler and some paint.

1_zps26bf9be7.jpg

2_zps1601d722.jpg

3_zps0e26a882.jpg

Rust that needs to be fixed

4_zps01f8f440.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4
  • Like 1

Worked on the brat some more today. Fixed all the rust in the lower section of the passenger side. Welded in a new tow hook mount should be good and strong now! I have just about all of the welding finished up. I have two small spots to finish and then its on to filler and paint. 

New tow hook mount. Its welded on the back side with more plate steel for support. 
1_zpsb18ee7dd.jpg

Welded this section back to the brat, It broke away right below where the bumper mounts. 
2_zpsdf731e9a.jpg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got some work on this done with my week off. Spent most of my time getting parts for one of my other cars ordered and up to the machine shop, and getting a stereo and camping gear into my vw bus. The rest of the time was spent with my friend who was up here from Virginia. Looks good, now I just have to get the harnesses in place, and finish and paint the lower valance.

1_zps2eff2c18.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped some stuff up this weekend. I installed the factory brat dash harness, and finished installing the cut down factory engine bay harness. Relocated my fuel filter, lengthened the wiper wiring, fixed a couple bad spots in the harness where it had been cut/ some connectors were missing. I also cut some more out of the EJ harness, right now I'm trying to decide what i need from the EJ dash harness. I don't think anything except the CEL. I plan on using a pressure sensor for the gauge in the EA dash, and already made an adaptor for the dash coolant temp sensor. After I cut some more out I should be getting close to starting it. 

• 1 month later...
I was able to spend a good amount of time on this over the weekend. The harness is almost 100% finished now. All I need to hook up is one power wire, a few grounds, and the dash stuff. Oil pressure sensor, I'm using the brat temp sensor so that should be all set. Tach still needs to be hooked up, along with the speed sensor. I ran out of heat shrink, and ground connectors, otherwise I think I would have been able to have a test fire tonight. Now I think it will be next weekend, as I don't see it happening after work this week. I have side jobs every night. 

1_zpsfcb80786.jpg

My wiring mess. I'll clean it up after its running... 

2_zpscbd2eca5.jpg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have been working on this a ton the last few days, finishing up the wring so far. Tonight I hooked up the alternator, cooling fans, and I have the tach working now. Checked the obdII codes, I have the typical evap, and fuel temp ones. I also have some I excepted as the cooling fans and rear 02 sensor are not hooked up. Purchased new tires for this to put on the enkies, this weekend i'm hoping to swap legacy rear brakes on so I can have an e-brake, and parts to make rear coilovers have been purchased until I suck it up and buy a full set, but this will do for now. It should be back on the road soon! 

• Like 4

A lot more work done today. I took the xt6 rear brakes off, and swapped on the legacy backing plates. It was pretty easy, I just drilled some new holes after centering the backing plate. I'm using 91 legacy turbo rear brakes as I have some left over after my legacy 4pot/2 pot swap.  I was happy to see that the back spacing for the caliper is perfect, installed my new e-brake cables, and used the e-brake stuff left over from the turbo as well. Tomorrow I should be able to hook up the e-brake inside just have to drill some holes and take a handle out of one of my legacy parts cars. I also started building my rear coilovers today. That went very well. I took some old 4wd ea82 struts I had kicking around and put sleeves on them. This is temporary until I get some newer wrx coils to swap in, but I'm just getting everything lined up and it will let me drive it for a while! So far I have to move the lower shock mount, and build a new top mount, not sure if I'm going to modify the brat, or the strut top, hoping to tackle that tomorrow as well.  

cooling fan relay 

1_zpscx6d0yye.jpg

new rubber!

2_zpsjocffuut.jpg

e-brake

5_zps16srvco1.jpg

rotor in place 

6_zpsh3le2oyb.jpg

I had to modify the area around where the backing plate mounts in order for it to fit properly 

3_zpsiusoww5d.jpg

Drilling new holes, unfortunately they are very close to the old ones, I had to weld on washers in a few spots 

4_zps7i8wktab.jpg

• Like 1

Tires are mounted up, I have the rear brakes somewhat finished, one of them is locked up I have I idea why I'm going to look at that tonight. Hopefully I'll get the rear struts and steering shaft wrapped up as well. No pics for a bit as I broke my computer charger...

• Like 1

Thanks man! I have been working hard on it every night after work. Last night I got the rear brakes finished, I had to machine the back of the rotors some to fit well, but they are good now. Got to see it on the ground for the first time, but the rear sits way too high for my liking even on the lowest setting. I'm going to see about adjusting the torsion bars if they come apart... The rear sway bar is now in, I had to mod the lower shock mounts as they were supposed to bolt to those, but they have been moved  because of the coilovers. Put all stainless brake hoses in last night, finished up the rear lines, and bled the brakes. Because all of the parts are new, I'm using dot 5 fluid so I don't have to worry about the system for a long time. For the first time in a long time it stops! Tonight i'm picking up a z parts car, but I'm hoping I can get the steering shaft, shift linkage, and work on torsion bar stuff.

• Like 1

Tonight was a super successful night my dad helped me a big shout out to him. Anyway we got my 91 turbo legacy rear diff swapped over along with a new rear torsion tube. I cleaned up and painted my spair one (as the torsion bars actually came out of that one) reclocked the bars so they were two clicks lower, and slapped it in. I wish I had my computer working so I could share some pics now that the rear is lowered it looks flipping sweet! The rear cvs sucked to take out nothing like a torch and a bfh... Now I need to reboot both inners oh well... Tomorrow I'm hoping to get everything back there finished up and star putting the nose backs together and a few other things!

Edited by 1982gl4
  • Like 1

Go Dad!!

Learned a lot from my Dad, he schooled me on doing things I needed his knowledge on. He would come over to assist me, but really just told me how to do certain things I was unsure on. "You have to do it yourself, I can do it, but "You", won't learn anything by me doing it".

I so miss that Man.........

Slow and steady gets the job done. But I'm thinking that you got a tad bit slow on this one for a bit. JK!

I have no room to talk in the attempt to get my Wagon back on the road. Let alone the '82 BRAT that's been sitting in pieces out in the garage for some 12 years.