Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Build!

1982gl4

I'm willing to bet most of us on here got a lot of out mechanical know how from our fathers, or grandfathers in my case it was both. I grew up with both of them making some pretty crazy stuff, cars and otherwise! Yeah I was slacking on this thing there always seemed to be more important projects, so last week I decided to finish this and take a break from my z. It's crazy how long you can have a project car sitting around. I took a look at the inspection sticker yesterday and it's from 2010.... Anyway yesterday was a very productive day, rear suspension is 100% finished, built a new steering ujoint, finished the front cv shafts, mounted the fuel pump, built a new shift linkage that actually works, mounted the passengers side fender, and put some of the interior back together. Hoping today will be as productive.

• Like 1

Same thing we did with my dads 914, cut them worded the ends together, and then welded sleeves over the outside. We have done dry pavement donuts in the 914 as a test they work fine never had breakage even auto crossing they have held up. No vibration issues either. Today I got the front clip on, fixed the lights I had some words that were cut to the rear, and finished up most of the harness, turns out my temp gauge is not wired in so I'll do that tomorrow right now it's on the trailer and going into work tomorrow so I can build the exhaust I want for it, and align it along with install the from sway bar. I also took it on a short drive down the road man is this thing mean!

• Like 1

Got this road legal today! I drove it from work to my parents house about 22 miles round trip. It went very well other than a few things. The tach stopped working, my back up lights were on all the time, and no temp gauge. After I got it home I fixed all of this things easily just some wiring stuff. And I started putting the interior back together. On the way home it developed a clunk in the front end so I swapped it out for my legacy at work and will look at it tomorrow. Hopefully just something simple. So it's on the road and can't wait to put some miles on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've out close to 600 miles on this in the last week. It's going very well. Still need to wire in the clutch switch it dies when I come to a quick stop without feathering the gas. But other than that it is running and driving very well. However, I would like to get some coils with better spring rates for this, the ride is a bit rough... I have a bunch of photos I need to post from car shows over the last two weekends.

Okay my computer is working again, so big update of photos, and what I have been doing to/with this. 

I'll step back a couple weeks as I have been driving this all over the place, and taking it to car shows. 

I never posted pics of what I did for the e-brake, I bought new legacy cables, and used a 93 legacy turbo e-brake handle, and then cut holes in the floor to run the cables out to the rear disc. The cables actually fit very well, and I was able to use a few of the factory holes to mount them on. 

2_zps0d34klc4.jpg

legacy handle installed

1_zps0a7a6cs4.jpg

rear coils starting to go in. 

3_zps0sbo3rrt.jpg

both of my shock bolts were broken on both sides, I had actually welded studs on years ago to hold them in place, I ended up cutting those off, and making my own upper mounts, I boxed them all in, and added a bunch of extra bracing top and bottom, but here is the starting point 

4_zps2umzl0qq.jpg

sway bar installed

5_zpsdsmnfqrk.jpg

Then I ended up having to adjust my torsion bar, but my factory one would not come apart, so I took a spare out of the shed, took it apart, adjusted it, cleaned it up, and painted it. My dad helped in install it one night a couple weeks back. 

7_zpsequwtnfq.jpg

In this pic you can see the e-brake, and the cleaned up torsion bar tube. 

8_zpsxudh5h8w.jpg

This went in at the same time

9_zps4rgwk0tu.jpg
  • Like 1

Up next it went to work on a trailer so I could align it and put another exhaust on it. A bit dirty from sitting

10_zpsbtz4rddc.jpg

New exhaust, new headers, a stainless center glass pack, new cat, and a small magniflow rear muffler make up all of it. Man I love the pipe bender. I also had to go around the new swap bar, as there was not enough room between the ej trans, and the new sway bar. 

11_zpsmjqv7f8j.jpg

12_zpsmw6c1xhi.jpg

cool shot on the lift. 

13_zpskmjcwwd8.jpg

After that I got it cleaned up, and went to one of the local car shows. Put about 400 miles on it that weekend going back and forth and on some cruises with my friend in his brz, and my other friend in his 68 c-10

15_zpsh0jzys7m.jpg

14_zpsgcbs3tqk.jpg

17_zpsevhobcv3.jpg

18_zpsuvjszlbt.jpg

The most recent photo, of the engine bay, new battery installed as well. I wanted to use the factory air box, but it wasn't going to happen without a lot of time, so this will do for now. 

16_zpsfkztae2b.jpg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Its been good so far, put close to 1000 miles on it in just the short time i have been driving it. I only have had one problem where the fuel pump sucked up something and seized, luckily I was able to clean it out, and it did it in my driveway.... It also stalls coming to stop lights sometimes, I'm thinking it may be because the clutch switch isn't hooked up? I have the trans neutral safety switch installed and working, and if I put it into neutral before coming to a stop it usually wont stall. Other than that it runs and drives great. 

• 1 month later...
I have been driving the brat all over the place. I have had to do a few repairs to it. The front end was making horrible noises, so I decided to check that out a couple of weeks back, turns out it was a very simple fix, just lubed the sway bar bushings in the front and all is well now. I also had troubles with the fuel pump again I just added an inline filter in front of it, hopefully that takes car of the problem. I'm noticing a lot of tire wear in the front, I need to align it, thinking ill turn the strut tops this time, so I can actually use the camber adjustments for camber instead of caster. I don't want to wear the tires out super quick.... Other than those few things it has been running and driving very well. I need to fix the rust in the bed some time soon, and I have a few other plans for it as well. But at this point it probably wont be until spring time, it will be going in the garage soon, and the legacy wagon will be getting ready for winter. 

1_zpsnmhxflno.jpg

5_zpstovq0tvt.jpg

2_zpsdxrzjkk2.jpg

Heres a pic of it with my newest toy. 79 rx7 one owner car, 77k miles, and it is perfect shape. 

4_zpsdjdckjw4.jpg

3_zpsg7lgrht8.jpg
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Nice job on the brakes..Are the calipers from the XT6?  What master cylinder are you using? I tried to use the Impreza master cylinder bolted to the Brat power booster, but the reservoir is tipped forward because the power booster from the Impreza (that won't physicaly fit in the Brat) is tipped at an upward angle when mounted in the Impreza or the Legacy (my other donor car). 

Nice job on the brakes..Are the calipers from the XT6?  What master cylinder are you using? I tried to use the Impreza master cylinder bolted to the Brat power booster, but the reservoir is tipped forward because the power booster from the Impreza (that won't physicaly fit in the Brat) is tipped at an upward angle when mounted in the Impreza or the Legacy (my other donor car). 

Originally I had rear calipers from an xt6, along with backing plates. But I changed that this summer. I ended up using rear backing plates, e-brake, calipers, and rotors from a 91 legacy turbo. It all works very well. The front calipers are 97 legacy gt (dual pistons) The master cylinder is the stock brat one, I've heard using a legacy or otherwise can make the brake peddle super hard, and somewhat unsafe without using the booster to go along with it. And the EJ booster doesn't fit without some modding to the ea81 body... So far I've had no problems with the braking, but haven't pushed its limits super hard yet. 

Wonderful result! I love the header look under the truck!

Thanks man, the headers look and sound great, spend some quality time making the exhaust that is for sure. I'll have to get a sound clip of it at some point, but its parked in the garage until spring at this point. 

• Like 1

Thanks man! I'm very happy to have it back on the road, and now I'm waiting for spring so I can drive it again. I need to spend some time on the rear shock towers, and I would like to lower the rear a bit more, but those are both pretty minor things. 

• 4 months later...

Totaled this last week, super bumped about it, but it happened, it was my own stupidity. Goofing off, rear tire dropped into a ditch, couldn't save it I rolled it. Luckily I wasn't hurt, so I guess thats what matters. Looking for a replacement currently, if anyone has any leads on one let me know, must be rust free, and a second gen, not to picky otherwise. I would really prefer a GL, just as I like the roof, and gauges/dash better. I don't care where it is, the more west the better. Thinking about swapping all of the suspension over to my wagon, and swapping in the wrx drivetrain into it at the same time, next brats probably staying stock.... 

Edited by 1982gl4

NOOOO!!!

My most sincerest condolences.

This thing had always been an inspiration for me. Very sad to hear about your loss.

That being said... Glad you're ok. C8S is right. You can't be replaced.

I look forward to your next build as it will be just as awesome as always.

I will keep my orbs peeled down here to see if one pops up.

Sorry to hear about this! Count your blessings that you weren't badly hurt :eek:

The Brat always can be replaced - you can't ;)

Thanks, I walked away thats what matters. Heck I even drove it home.... its been a hard week, had to cover it in the garage can hardly stand to look at it. It could be fixed, it was worse off the first time around, but with rust creeping in everywhere, needing an drivers A pillar, a left side and front clip, its just time to move on. 

NOOOO!!!

My most sincerest condolences.

This thing had always been an inspiration for me. Very sad to hear about your loss.

That being said... Glad you're ok. C8S is right. You can't be replaced.

I look forward to your next build as it will be just as awesome as always.

I will keep my orbs peeled down here to see if one pops up.

Thanks, glad it gave you some inspiration. Not sure that my next brat will be a crazy build, but my wagon might get there soon. Please do keep an eye out. I know we have to drive my sister to portland late this summer, hoping I can pick a new one up then, and drive or tow it back I don't care if it has mechanical problems, just no rust is the big thing, 

Thanks, I walked away thats what matters. Heck I even drove it home.... its been a hard week, had to cover it in the garage can hardly stand to look at it. It could be fixed, it was worse off the first time around, but with rust creeping in everywhere, needing an drivers A pillar, a left side and front clip, its just time to move on. 

Thanks, glad it gave you some inspiration. Not sure that my next brat will be a crazy build, but my wagon might get there soon. Please do keep an eye out. I know we have to drive my sister to portland late this summer, hoping I can pick a new one up then, and drive or tow it back I don't care if it has mechanical problems, just no rust is the big thing, 

Portland Oregon? If so might get to see you again. I search daily for cheap ones and will let you know if i find one that's decent. There is a bunch of nice ones on now for 4500+ on craigslist.

Portland Oregon? If so might get to see you again. I search daily for cheap ones and will let you know if i find one that's decent. There is a bunch of nice ones on now for 4500+ on craigslist.

Yep going out to drop her off she's going to school out there. Funny you posted, I was actually going to hit you up and see if you would keep an eye out as I know you deal in these cars a lot. Probably be out there in September. I Don't mind spending some cash on one as long as its clean. 

Really hated to read about it being wrecked. But glad that you weren't hurt.

Possible replacement for you, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/159173-rolling-shell-82-brat/

Thanks yeah its a bummer, but a chance to build a better solid one. I saw that, it worried me being Kansas, probably rusty. West of the rockies is the best place to look for clean ones! 

• 2 weeks later...