Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuild or toss - EA81 ???????

I have a '83 solid lifter ea81 sitting in my garage, and I'm wondering if I should keep it around because of how it failed a couple years ago...

was a older lady one owner vehicle. (83 4wd wagon)

only 55k on motor.

it actually spun half of the front main bearing out. I removed it through the front crank seal opening! (some of you may remember the pic). since that piece of the beraring was gone, it knocked loudly, but was only run with the knock while in the garage trying to diagnose what happened, and only for a very brief time on a few occasions.

I then just replaced the motor.

my question: Do you think the motor would be worth rebuilding. the heads are good, and I have a cam I want to put in, but I'm concerned about what damage might have occurred from the knocking, and any oil depravation that led it to that end in it's short 55k life.

any thoughts?

well i have one that was supposedly a new shortblock.. with like 18k on it.. rod knocks like a mofo.. but i kept it.. i figure i can put a new crank in it, new bearings, and have a good spare for my little hatch..

i also have (word of mouth) good ea81 block, crank, pistons, rings here.. supposedly it just blew a HG so it was pulel dout and replaced..

i'd say keep it, crack it open, replace what needs replaced, and put it together for a spare..

• 1 month later...

lower end problems are the worst :( im with northguy on this one; part out the engine (like you said heads are good to go) and junk the short block. less money and hassel in the end.

besides you can tell the wife (who I'm sure is lobbying this decision? :) ) that you DID get rid of 'that damn engine over there' but you still get to keep the good parts! haha

Like you said, running it a bit with the knock would give me less concern than what caused the bearing to spin in the first place. I say tear it down, it will only cost you a few hours of your time and will tell you all you need to know.

You never know what you’re gonna get with a JY engine, I’ve had pretty good luck in the past but it’s a bit of a crapshoot. Yeah, the rebuild will cost you more but at least you know what you got.

Gary

If you're anything like me, and you've got the time, I say tear it down. At least take a look at it... if nothing else, you've got it for parts.

'Course, if you don't have the time, and/or you won't have fun taking it apart & puttin' it back together, just part it out.

Like you said, running it a bit with the knock would give me less concern than what caused the bearing to spin in the first place. I say tear it down, it will only cost you a few hours of your time and will tell you all you need to know.

You never know what you’re gonna get with a JY engine, I’ve had pretty good luck in the past but it’s a bit of a crapshoot. Yeah, the rebuild will cost you more but at least you know what you got.

Gary

Good idea; tear it down and take a peek. I love tearing apart engines to find out why it died!

Got a neat supprise helping Archemitis with an Isuzu Impulse RS turbo. The connecting rod looked like it had been through a meat grinder, the piston came out in several pieces and the oilpan was chuck full of aluminum shrapnel! The hole in the block is what led us to belive something was wrong in the lower end LOL :D

Mick, Keep it. Tear it down and see what you actually need. If it's not much, replace the part(s) and you have a low mileage engine with new parts. If it's all busted to hell then grab the good and toss the bad. I'm still hangin on to a great running EA81 out of one of my old BRATs but it blew a HG. You never know what your gonna get from the J/Y and they don't give refunds. Stop whining and get your hands dirty (J/K) Boz