Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with location of fuel pump relay 86dl wagon

86 DL should be carbed....

It will have a fuel pump control unit instead of a relay (it is the relay) under the dash. Look for a black blox about 2"x3" with a 6 pin connector near the relays or above the hood release cable bracket.

The wire going to the pump is usually a blue with red stripe. The control unit will also have a yellow tach signal, black ground wire, and an ignition hot supply (white I think).

GD

I got my first subaru because of no fuel pump power, it was an 86 GL carbed. My dad had chased the no fuel pump power all through the car, gave up and gave the car to me. I found out that it had to have a tach signal to turn on the pump, checked the distributor and found the rotor wasn't turning. Drivers side timing belt had snapped.

So make sure you've got spark before you spend too much time chasing the fuel pump power.

He got this car because of head gasket problems.

We went through and resealed everything.

Got new timing belts and stuff too.

GD the car wouldn't start, no gas in the carb. We may have just not let it crank long enough.

Also went to put gas in the tank and some A$$ cut the filler hose so he had to replace that also.

Hush

Checked the wiring while cranking and all is fine. Trickled a little gas in till it caught and ran. Finished up hooking things up and got it ready to bring home for him. Test run it showed a little strangeness in the front end and I check..... Bad passenger side ball joint. More parts then we can bring it home.

He is pretty excited about it, his first car.

Hush