Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Paint job?

first link of a yahoo search brings up this page showing color code at 259 for cream yellow:

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/specs/general/1982brat.html

best thing to do is just stop in an auto body shop and ask for a rough cost to get your started. or google it, i'm sure there's tons of info about car painting costs.

painting is very expensive. it's labor intensive and materials are expensive as well so you get what you pay for. it's easy for things to suck bad if it's not done right or done cheap. you'll have to decide if you want a cheap job that may be risky or a quality job. a wild guess is about $1,500-$2,000 for a top notch job. extrapolate down from there as quality decreases. MAACO has cheap jobs in the $200-$500 range and they're cheap. bumpers may flake, won't be perfect, but it'll look okay...for some length of time.

Edited by grossgary

a wild guess is about $1,500-$2,000 for a top notch job. extrapolate down from there as quality decreases.

Heh - $1500 would be a crap job - you are looking at $500 to $750 in materials (quality multi-stage paint, clear coat, prep and finish materials, etc) and the labor is just nuts. Try more like $3,500 to $5,000 for a decent paint job. The bed drives the price up as well. Add significant body work and ding repair and the price just keeps climbing.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I've been quoted 3500 Euro for a paint job for my EA81 Wagon. That includes:

1. Paint (duh) non-metallic

2. Anti-rust treatment inside and out

3. Labour (incl. removing dents and pre-paint prep)

I thought that was pretty expensive but I've been told this is for a quality paint job. I could also bring my car to Poland (1200 km from here) and they would do the same for probably 1/3 of the price but hey whom do I turn to if problems occur a down the line?

So I've started saving up :)

...you are looking at $500 to $750 in materials (quality multi-stage paint, clear coat, prep and finish materials, etc) and the labor is just nuts. Try more like $3,500 to $5,000 for a decent paint job. The bed drives the price up as well. Add significant body work and ding repair and the price just keeps climbing.

GD

Holy Cow! ... That's Expensive ... :eek: ...

Here Prices are Very Cheap, I Used "Glasurit" Brand Paint (Made by BASF but here, in Central America) Polyurethane Paint to Paint Both my Wagons, and My Mercury Comet with Great Results, but the Materials Price Won't go over $ 250.ºº Each Car... Since I Painted them by Myself (with some Friends Help to Sand and Polish) That was a Cheap Paint Job...

But a Paint Job done in a Professional Garage must be Between $ 500.ºº and $ 750.ºº Depending on How much Body work is involved.

Now I Know Why Lots of Honduran Professional Car Painters goes to Work in USA...

Now I Know Why Lots of Honduran Professional Car Painters goes to Work in USA...

Yeah - I'm sure labor is near nothing compared to what it is here. It's not at all unusual for a shop to charge $75 to $100 an hour for "skilled" autmotive work of any kind - be it mechanical or body shop work.

What's your labor rate down there on mechanical work? I bet it's less than I charge from my own garage - cost of living here in the US is high.

GD

Are we talking about EA82 cars?

Cause from what I know, GL-10/GL/DL/Loyale all have clear coat standard. A lot of the West-cost guys post about it flaking off and seems to be a common thing.

As for EA81s and older, yea I know theres no clear on those. Thats why if you don't keep it waxed it'll oxidize pretty quick.

Oh - and if it's clear coated it's not original. Subaru used single-stage paint back in those days so it wouldn't have clear from the factory. Might be a dealer option or it's common to see that on older body work from say a light fender-bender when the car was closer to new.

GD

As GD said;

Sky's the limit. It all depends on what YOU want.

I've seen "paint jobs" run upwards of $10,000. I say "paint jobs" because included in this was all the body work necessary to make a paint job of that caliber worth it. I've seen alot of situations where cars roll in to get painted thinking it will be a fairly easy job, only to find that the car needs to be quartered (have the rear quarter panels replaced). An acquantance of mine wanted to have his 1953 Oldsmobile 98 convertivle re-shot last spring, and "freshened up" for the summer. After getting into it, the body shop found that the drivers rear had been smacked pretty hard. The repair had been made using all-steel, and paint stir sticks. We guessed it was done sometime in the 60s, as it had multiple coats of paint over that repair.

As has been said; the materials are somewhat expensive. If you want to stick with the stock color; that'll make it more so, as you'll have to have a batch mixed. If you don't mind getting something close pre-mixed; that's cheaper. Gallons of single stage start at around $100 in Summit, with another $50-$80 needed in reducers. However, you'll have a limited color palet, and you definitely won't match the stock color exactly. Dual stages (base coat/clear coat) are a little more expensive, and a little more time consuming. Thusly, it'll be even more expensive.

You just need to decide how nice of a job you want done.

This is one of those things I've always encouraged people to try. I got into painting a few years back, and while I've screwed up a few jobs, wasted some material/time; I get better at it every time I try. I've also ended up with a few pretty darn good looking cars out of the deal, and learned ALOT along the way. There's no shortage of information out there, so it's one of those things that isn't the mysterious black magic that it once was.

But, like I said; it's all up to you and what kind of job you want done.

This is my 800 dollar (including primer ect. ect.) paint job in the factory color it's pro single so no clear coat. ( I did it myself in my garage and I already own all the guns, air compressor, sanders, ect.) But in the real world as stated much more $. Chances are you will not have it come out this good if it is your first paint job. I've gotten a lot of practice, but I still messed up the hood :-\

1-1.jpg?t=1288744294

Not Thread Hijack intended, but Sharing some interesting information...

...What's your labor rate down there on mechanical work? ...

...Let me Tell you that here, in Honduras, the Cost of the Repair is Paid ALWAYS just for the Complete Job, No Hourly Payments here.

So you Pay just for what you want to be Done...

Kind Regards.

grandpa's triumph tr6 was close to $7000.00 for a proper paintjob. almost 10 years later it's still brand new looking though.

(just told this included body work and sourcing a few panels but still a lot of freaking money)

Edited by afterbang
added info.