Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reman'd Head... Before Install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

I'm messing around with a '89 Dakota I picked up a couple months ago. I bought it knowing it was overheating. It smokes on startup, too. Anyway, I bought this head from JC Enterprises (ebay) , and I'm about ready to install.

I have never installed a mail order head before. This one is complete, and advertised as "ready to install"....

My question is, should I re-torque the cam bearing caps? What about assembly lube? It looks kinda dry. Anything else I need to do to this head before install?

The job is straight forward, as far as the install, and, I'm doing all the other stuff, such as timing kit, new water pump, other normal stuff. I just don't want to miss something. Any thoughts?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by markjw, 04 November 2010 - 06:20 AM.

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

It never hurts to check torque again. With the roller cams you do need to get oil all over everything to help lubricate untill full oil pressure is attained.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,009 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

yeah that has the look of a fully prepped head. i'd do exactly what Qman said.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

It it were me - I would remove the cam caps (keep them in order), lube the cam journals, rockers, and lifters with assembly lube (I use Redline assembly lube), and then retorque the cam caps. That's what I do on the heads I get back from the machine shop.

Then you will want to clean the head gasket mating surface with acetone or lacquer thinner (my preference) to insure it is 100% oil free (same with the block).

Obviously anti-seize your plugs when you install them.

After installation I would dump about 1/2 of a quart of the new oil over the cam and rockers, etc. Then install the valve cover and fill normally.

Otherwise it looks good and there's not much to do there!

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 02 November 2010 - 10:23 PM.

#5 markjw

markjw

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the guidance, guys...This short box, standard cab mini truck is about as impractical vehicle as any I have ever owned, but it's a cheap and interesting diversion from the subi's I have been wrenching on, non-stop, for the past several yrs. I'll post up some pic's when I get it looking good.

#6 markjw

markjw

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

Here's some Before and After pic's. The head install went pretty good. It runs well. I did some front end work and muffler work, too. Found some new exterior parts and used up two cans of Bumper Coating spray paint. Oh yeah, how about those sweet hubcaps. :brow::brow:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Turned out very nice! Looks like a serviceable little truck and clean too.

I like your use of the bug deflector to hide the hood damage :grin:.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users