Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru's catalog doesn't list the correct part number for this. Ordered what was listed from the local dealer, part number on the package matches the listing, but the hose is the wrong one.

The part in question is the coolant return hose from the Idle Speed Control Valve to the coolant crossover pipe under the manifold. It's a molded hose that makes 2 sharp turns. Pictured as number 4 here:

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/383494805002.png

Here's the fun part. The catalog lists the same PN for the hose from the bypass pipe to the throttle body. This appears to be the correct hose for that application, pictured here: Picture032-1.jpg in my hand.

It's on a 96 Legacy L 2.2.

I need the little bent up hose that goes from the idle motor to the crossover pipe. It's hard as a rock, and I'd like to replace it before it splits open and pukes all my coolant out. :lol:

I did some googling and stumbled across this though; A nifty site by Gates that lists all kinds of belts, hoses and other parts for tons of different cars. http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3002

I have several intakes lying around. I can look and see if I have a good one for you. I have never even seen these listed for replacement. I know they have them somewhere, but I haven't seen one being replaced.

Let me know if you wnat one of mine.

Mike

I'll keep you in mind. I had the dealer order another hose that seemed to be an older PN, but there were a few in the warehouse. If that one doesn't check out and I can't find any info on this then I'll have to go with used or a patch together of hoses and lines to get it routed where it needs to be.

The problem is this hose makes about a 260° turn. Any regular straight section of hose is going to crimp/kink and block water flow.

Picture039-2.jpg

Thar she be. The hose in question. Runs out of the right side of the IAC, makes a quick 120° (ish) turn then another of about the same degree a few inches over, then goes to a nipple from the crossover pipe.

After moving the pcv hose, vacuum hoses, and idle air hose out of the way to get a better view, it actually doesn't seem to be in quite as bad of shape as I originally thought. It does still flex some. Before I could only manage to get my finger on the end of it, which is probably right where the nipple is that comes out of the IAC.

I'm not against making something out of brass fittings and cut to length heater/fuel hose, have done that many many times, but i'm not too thrilled about having 6 possible leak points in a very confined space. I would probably use a section of 5/16" id fuel line with flared ends bent to the approximate shape of the hose, with two short sections of rubber hose to connect the ends. But, if I can manage to get the right PN, I think the hose will only be 4 or 5 bucks, and save me the trouble of having to make something.

another option is to remove the hoses to the IAC altogether, i've done it for the throttle body hoses before and it didn't affect anything. given the IAC's of plenty of other vehicles and subaru's don't have coolant at all i'd do it here too i think, unless i'm missing something.

usually you have more room to work with that way too so fewer hard bends and stuff to contend with.

if the beginning of the hose going to the IAC is 1 and the end is 2. And then the beginning of the other hose leaving the IAC is 3 and the end point is 4 - then you just run a hose from 1 to 4 and completely bypass it.

i guess the opposed forces site didn't have it?

Edited by grossgary

GG-

I'm pretty sure the reason for the heated throttle body and IAC is to prevent ice build up and what the manufacturers euphamistically call "failure to return to idle speed." Due to the venturi effect near a restriction in the intake air (i.e. the throttle plate or valve part of the IAC) there will tend to be a local temperature drop which can cause icing. I'm sure you can get away without the heated parts in some parts of the country, but I'd hesitate to do it, especially on an AT equipped vehicle.

Nathan

It's MT.

I thought about just pulling them all off. Wasn't entirely sure what consequences there might be from doing so, but did think about freezing/icing since it does get fairly cold here in the winter.

This section consists of 3 hoses and goes from the crossover to the bypass/heater pipe on top of the drivers side head. Crossover to IAC, IAC to TB, then TB to bypass pipe. A hose between each one. Not sure which way it flows.

Opposed forces lists the same PN that the dealer does. I actually noticed it there first, then went to the dealer to get the correct pn, only to find the listing the same. :confused:

I'm pretty sure the reason for the heated throttle body and IAC is to prevent ice build up

i've heard the speculations but it had no affects, nor did i think it would, on my daily driver automatic XT6. many cars, all older subaru's, don't have any coolant flow through the IAC. i wouldn't be too worried about it unless i was in canada or a really cold part of the country. where i lived in MD lows are zero to 10 roughly.

most folks aren't going to want to sway from stock so that's totally understandable. i may not mention it much normally but Fairtax seems the type to not necessarily stay mainstream with everything and i totally know, even should he chose not to do this, he's the type that would do something like it.

i've heard the speculations but it had no affects, nor did i think it would, on my daily driver automatic XT6. many cars, all older subaru's, don't have any coolant flow through the IAC. i wouldn't be too worried about it unless i was in canada or a really cold part of the country. where i lived in MD lows are zero to 10 roughly.

most folks aren't going to want to sway from stock so that's totally understandable. i may not mention it much normally but Fairtax seems the type to not necessarily stay mainstream with everything and i totally know, even should he chose not to do this, he's the type that would do something like it.

Oh believe me, I've done worse. :lol:

It's probably not a huge deal that this particular circuit of the cooling system stay functional, but I already bought the other two hoses, and now I'm hell bent on finding the right part for this. It's gonna get replaced, dammit! :lol: It's OCD, it has to be just so, or it'll drive me crazy. :eek::mad::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

DUH!!! I had this link all along and never even though to look at the parts catalog pdfs. Found an old part number for this hose in there. 807507412

Apparently the new part (807607191, which supercedes 807607190, which supercedes 507412) is a semi-generic hose that's supposed to fit several different locations. Found that out through SOA parts interchange hotline today.

But I'm not convinced it will fit and work properly where this hose needs to go. Guess I can try it on the car and see.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can find me one of these in a warehouse somewhere. (not hoping for any miracles though)

DUH!!! I had this link all along and never even though to look at the parts catalog pdfs. Found an old part number for this hose in there. 807507412

Napa crosses that number over to their NBH 10207 that makes a couple of 90 degree turns and may work for you if the dealers can't come up with something.

Napa crosses that number over to their NBH 10207 that makes a couple of 90 degree turns and may work for you if the dealers can't come up with something.

Awesome! I think that might be the one!

:banana:

Got the dealer digging, hope to hear form them sometime this after noon.

• 4 years later...

I'm going to drag this up from the archives for future reference. I just spent quite a bit of time searching for the solution to this for a customer. Googled the part number, and found this thread.

We pulled out the old bulletin books, as there is a bulletin associated with that part number, even though it's not available online. Sure enough, it says that it's mis-labeled in one of those 2 diagrams, and should be #807907372. The bulletin is dated 1996......still not fixed....in any of the catalogs, digital or otherwise.