Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recent Acquisition in Florida: '87 Subaru GL Wagon

Hello everyone,

Recently "inherited" a gift of an '87 Subaru GL Wagon with 76k miles. It had been sitting for some years, maybe since 2007 or 2008. Going to start to work on it and bring it back to life. From talking to the owner I think the radiator will be the first thing to address, of course along with the battery.

Hoping to make use of the knowledge in this forum. I've worked on subarus in the past but my last Subaru was an '86 Brat! But I loved that vehicle, most reliable car I've owned! :)

th_photo1-4.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have one (definitely) or maybe two aluminumn radiators for those EA82 cars. Probably a few parts too , but I did send lots of stuff to "ctsuba" who also has tons of cars and parts to offer.

Is that a 2 or 4 headlight nose? Also have those.

I like those car ,although you'll hear plenty of people say they stink and lack power ,etc. SPFI , I hope. Some '87's do still have carbs , which can be made to SPFI with the harness ,etc.

If it weren't for the '87 turbo wagon I still have I'd have put all that 80's stuff behind me to focus on 70's and 2.2 daily drivers.

Also have alloys too , and again "ctsuba" has TONS of parts for these cars. Good luck with it. White wagons are my fav. :)

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=2681

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=2687

Cheers!

Hi Moosens! Thanks for the welcome and information! I need to get up to speed on this car and am looking forward to it. I know power may not be the best but I love tickering with engines and maybe this will keep me away from my daily driver and my motorcycle :) I also look forward to having some space in a vehicle finally to haul stuff :)

If you have some extra stuff that might work in this vehicle I'll definitely be interested. I'm not sure of the forum rules fully yet so I won't post more on that here I guess. I'm still trying to decipher what the car has, etc. It was tucked (tightly) into a carport but I believe it was two halogen headlights when I opened the hood. It definitely looked like a carb model with a black oval shaped air filter in front of the spare tire. There was one of the 3 bolts missing and I opened it to find a pretty dirty air filter. Also noticed a module towards the passenger side was all connected with hoses but the bracket was attached anywhere.

My game plan is to push it across the street to the house where I am working, wash it, and then get it towed to my place so I can have a better look. I wrote down the VIN but that only seems to let me cross reference some of the data. It should be a fun project anyways. :)

Oh and BTW, unfortunately it is not white as I thought (and hoped!) from a distance... it is a cream color. Tis OK... she will probably be ready for a fresh coat of paint down the road after she is put back in order!

Love your wagon too! Wish I had the turbo model... but maybe in good time! :)

Air filter box means its a carby .... :-\ Not terrible , just give it a good spraying with carb cleaner and see what its like after that.

Still looks white :) , just filthy dusty... but you know better than me being there.

good luck with it! What's your 2 wheeler?

welcome

Thank you!

Air filter box means its a carby .... :-\ Not terrible , just give it a good spraying with carb cleaner and see what its like after that.

I know, wish it wasn't a carb, but I'll deal with it. And yes lots of carb cleaner and Seafoam, a product I swear by! LOL

Still looks white :) , just filthy dusty... but you know better than me being there.

I know I swore it was white when I asked the owner about it, but sure enough its cream :/ lol.... paint job down the road, so no biggy.

good luck with it! What's your 2 wheeler?

Thanks! Didn't get to tow it to my house today, hopefully tomorrow.

2 wheeler is a 2-tone green 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad :)

• 4 months later...

I'm really impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness on this forum. I've been enjoying trying to bring my Soobie back to life and hit a roadblock, hopefully temporary!

Doesn't seem to be many Subarus or enthusiasts down here in South Florida... Wondering if any other Floridians frequent USMB?

• 2 weeks later...

The ones that are here, and down there, are pretty active. Id say 3-4 of them. Tommy sure likes his Gen1 Brat down that way and is active here. Biffanyus

I can't believe your user name wasn't already taken. (in 1998 for that matter).

The ones that are here, and down there, are pretty active. Id say 3-4 of them. Tommy sure likes his Gen1 Brat down that way and is active here. Biffanyus

Cool, glad to hear it!

I can't believe your user name wasn't already taken. (in 1998 for that matter).

I was surprised myself!

Yes and welcome to the board. I do beleive Im not that far from you. We can meet sometime and check ouit our subies when you get yours mobile. Looks sweet. Im in West Palm Beach... Look me up sometime soon.

Great I look forward to it! I'm in Ft. Lauderdale but work some days up in Deerfield and also in Boca!