Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback LTD: front washer pump not working

the front windshield washer fluid pump doesn't work; no noise, no nothing. the rear works fine, however. i looked under the hood and discovered that the electrical contacts, mainly the female end, were pretty gunked up. couldn't really get into the plug with a brush so i'm thinking about just replacing it.

does anyone know if that cable has connectors on both ends or is it wired to something? thanks!

does anyone know if that cable has connectors on both ends or is it wired to something? thanks!

typicallyy the wires going to the waher pumps are part of a harness and not replaceable, at least not easily. and usually it is not the wire or connector causing the problem.

it is probably the pump. they are pretty easy to remove, tank and pumps as a unit. when you disconnect the tubes from the pumps they will piss out the fluid in the tank. once you have the tank out you can feed 12v to the ''bad''pump to see if it will works. the front pump is lower on the tank. its probably bad. you may be able to get a generic replacement from the local parts store.

if the hoses were longer you could fit the front washer hose on to the rear washer pump but i tried that. plus you would have to plug the other pump so it doesn't leak out all of the fluid.

you may find the whole tank and pumps at a parts salvage yard near you. search http://www.car-part.com and sort by distance. if you have to have it shipped to you, then sort by price.

The pump is probably bad. you may be able to get a generic replacement from the local parts store.

Agree that the pump is prolly bad. Squirter pumps are very generic. I once replaced a pump for my VW with one that was made for a Ford. It fit and worked perfectly.But first, wire it directly to 12V to see if it will work. Just make 12V contact for a second or two, as the washer fluid is designed to cool the pump motor from over heating. If it doesn't work, take your old pump motor to a parts store to find a generic. Usually there is a display board with pump motors, just find one that looks like your old one. This will cost a whole lot less then going to the dealer.

like rooster said, they're typically generic and available new from any parts store. i picked up a new one for a 1989 Subaru XT6 and they had it in stock, i doubt much has changed.

have 12 volts to test your old ones and you'll narrow it down quickly probably. i'd test the motor and then go from there.