Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi list.

we have a 1998 Legacy (automatic) and I am wondering if it is OK to run the car for long periods of time with the fuse installed to force the 2WD mode? the 'severe' weather here in southern Cal just doesn't usually live up to what I consider 4WD conditions.

For that matter, would this help wth gas mileage? It seems like disconnecting half the running gear would have to do something. and why were these cars built without a 2/4WD switch?

just wondering-thanks in advance.

This subject has been discussed on this board many times. The consensus is that it will not damage the car to continuously operate it in 2WD. I am not a mechanic, and if a mechanic on this board says otherwise, you would probably do well to follow his or her advise.

Others that have placed their Subarus in 2WD have reported no, or insignificant, increases in mpg. There appears to be no advantage to placing your Subaru in 2WD. It is probaby good practice to put your car in 2WD when using a spare tire. Unmatched tires can rapidly destroy the center differential in the automatic transmission.

Its intended for spare tire use and towing. Otherwise, its meant to be AWD.. Being a 98, it isn't '4wd' its AWD. there is a difference. Being an automatic, 90% of your power is already going to your front wheels until they slip and give the tranny a reason to send power to the rear. There is no advantage to be gained by disabling the AWD on your legacy.

In answer to your question about the switch, You don't have 4WD, so theres no need for a switch:D

Originally posted by danvon

Hi list.

we have a 1998 Legacy (automatic) and I am wondering if it is OK to run the car for long periods of time with the fuse installed to force the 2WD mode? the 'severe' weather here in southern Cal just doesn't usually live up to what I consider 4WD conditions.

For that matter, would this help wth gas mileage? It seems like disconnecting half the running gear would have to do something. and why were these cars built without a 2/4WD switch?

just wondering-thanks in advance.

Let's see. My MY2002 Legacy GT (manual transmission) weighs in at about 3345lb and has an engine that develops 165hp. It gets 21 mi/US gal around town and 27 on the highway. How do these fuel economy figures stack up against other vehicles of similar mass, with engines of similar output? In other words, I don't think the AWD drivetrain hurts you all that much (and as another poster mentioned, your auto. trans. sents most of the torque to the front most of the time, anyway).