Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 Yota, Now 82, bought it

Scott in Bellingham

Looking at a 80 4x4 Toyota pickup it has a 20r , anything I should know about this truck? what years are what , are the old ones the same as the new ones? as far as axle and drivetrain strength ? and interchangability ?

EDIT****

bought a 82 it has a 5 speed with a 22R carbed

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
changed car

well a good wheeling yota is hard to beat for fun and reliability. How far are you looking to go with it. Basic mudder yota setup ive seen is huge tires and 5:29 gears. of course add some lockers. are you keeping the stock engine?

shorten wheelbase , plop a Justy body on, run 33s , lockers, flex

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
details

Frames are usually fine around here. Body doesn't seem to be a priority. Engine run well without knocks or smoking. Has cross-over steering been done yet? J arms are the weak link of the steering. Looks like the right base for your progect though. How much?

Frames are usually fine around here. Body doesn't seem to be a priority. Engine run well without knocks or smoking. Has cross-over steering been done yet? J arms are the weak link of the steering. Looks like the right base for your progect though. How much?

maybe a car trade , will see it today, its lifted on 33s

shorten wheelbase , plop a Justy body on, run 33s , lockers, flex

nice. if you want more power toyota has a nice 3.4 turbo. if i ever get into engine conversions id do either that or a 4.3 vortec. 350 is good to a certain degree but it would make awful balance if its for flexing.

nice. if you want more power toyota has a nice 3.4 turbo. if i ever get into engine conversions id do either that or a 4.3 vortec. 350 is good to a certain degree but it would make awful balance if its for flexing.

Neither engine will be a good choice for his build. 3.4 turbo has a late power curve. 350 in a toy is just asking for trouble. Yes, I know, they are all over the place. And 99% of them have over-heat issues and are unreliable.

The only conversion I personally will do to mine is the 4.3. Good torque stock. But having access to torque cams makes it a no-brainer. FI and zero problems make it the right choice.

Stick with the 20R and you'll be golden.

OK looked at the 80, didnt get, went and bought a 82' it has a 22r and a 5 speed this ones all stock, with 30s , Paid $700 is has been sitting and has oil in the rad water and needs a alt , does run and drive everythings there and works, will be parting out the body and bed, cabs in great shape beds got rust