Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy 1995 leaking oil when driven at "high" rpm's

Auto trans is different. I was thinking you had a manual.

The front diff and transmission are separate units contained in the same case. They are sealed and use different fluid. The front diff uses GL-5 spec gear oil the auto trans uses Dexron 3 ATF.

The driveshaft seal is fairly easy to replace. The exhaust system has to be removed and the heat shield then the driveshft can be taken apart in the middle and pulled out of the transmission.

Local Subaru mechanic say that the whole rear trans housing has to be replaced. Says that the bearing comes out from the INSIDE. He also mentioned something about wear that might cause me to need that rear housing replaced....if the drive shaft moves too much. So it's out of the "easy" category for me.

No the seal pops out easily with a screwdriver and can be driven back in with a large socket or section of PVC pipe.

Unless there is internal damage, there is no reason to replace bearings.

Where the driveshaft goes into the transmission is whats called a slip joint. This means the end of the driveshaft can slip in and out a bit to prevent binding of the shaft when the engine and transmission move. (rotational forces from the front axles cause the engine/trans to pitch fore/aft while accelerating or decelerating).

This joint makes removal of the driveshaft very easy, once the shaft is separated either in the middle or from the rear differential, and the carrier bearing in the center of the driveshaft unbolted from the bottom of the car, the slip joint on the transmission end of the shaft slides right out. There is a dust shield that may need to be removed, but it can be knocked off with a hammer and screwdriver. Then the old leaking seal can be pried out and replaced with a new one.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_6/automatic_transmission/at_transfer_and_extension/illustration_1/

The #2 with the circle around it is the seal in question.

If you can take a picture of the leak source and post it, we can make sure that's the problem before you go buying parts or paying someone else a lot of $$$$$ to do work it may not need.

Thanks very much for that illustration. The Haynes manual doesn't have any transmission illustrations like that. Pretty weak in that area.

The Subaru mechanic mentioned grabbing the driveshaft to see how much play is in it. I did that, and I would say that there is a little play, but without a dial indicator, my guess is that the amount is very small. Maybe I can rig a dial indicator on there later and measure it. I do have one.

I didn't know that the dust cover came off. That's good to know.

If what you say is right, then there is some light coming here.... I have an appointment at my mechanic (not the Subaru guy, he is too far away) and he can handle this fine.

Thanks for that help. I'd much rather invest $100 than $350.

Oh, if I took a picture it would just show fluid leaking out the dust cover at the rear... just running out.