Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback 2.5i spark plugs

Bought plugs at Pep Boys yesterday--guy sold me NGK BKR5EGP.

Pulled the first plug out, it's a NGK R FR5 AP11

Are the new plugs incorrect? They are platinum. Is that the difference.

Wanted your opinions before I slap them in there as if they are not correct they are going back to PB.

Thanks!

According to NGK's site, the FR5AP-11 are "Laser Platinum" plugs, while the BKR5EGP are just standard platinum plugs.

How many miles do you have on the plugs? The platinum plugs will last quite a while.

You can find out more info on the plugs from NGK's site.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/index.asp

I posted recently (like a week or so ago) about this.

I jsut installed the "laser Platinum" second set in the GF's car. They are called double Platinum on the NGK website - which also calls for the wrong plug. Website calls for a 10, Dealer and old paper manual call for an 11 - which means wider electrode it seems.

In that late model of a car I'd bet you want the "laser platinums" I know a 2006 calls for them.

The regular old green writing BRK's I use up to 2001 or so. Unfortunately I have a gap in experience between 2001 and 2006.

If you want the info on what I got just PM me. I have the documentaion on another computer and can look it up.

Checked a parts website and the NGK's Pep Boys sold me were the correct platinum plug so I put them in. The old plugs were not too bad, but they had about 50K miles on them, so time to change.

Also discovered a lose plug wire that explained my wife's description of rough running at a stop. Runs fine now. I had to order plug wires but may just save them for my Legacy, which is about to turn over 50K. It's an '09!