Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P1104 Engine Torque Control Signal Circuit Malfunction ????

ej22 engine swap - p0441 & p1104

apparently it takes 2 drive cycles to throw these and in addition to the actual codes there are the same 2 pending. i have cleared them twice and both come back after 15 - 20 minutes of driving.

i found a couple of threads i don't remember for which code. it sounds likely that one of the codes could be caused by a leaky hose , maybe. hopefully not an expensive fix, as long as i can find it.

the haynes manual lists the 0441 as evap system incorrect purge flow. any one have any ideas?

i installed a 95 ej22 w/ 125k into a 98 obw w/ 142k. i added the charcoal canister from the 95 to the 98 which has the canister in the rear. i hoped the addition wouldn't hurt. i thought it was easier than rigging a hose from the small to the larger metal lines the front canister connects to. i'm going to disconnect it and see if any thing changes. i'll report back in a bit.

is it possible that one problem is causing both codes?

any in put would be helpful.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 2 weeks later...

does any one know what or where the engine torque control circuit is ??

i have checked the connections at the rear of the engine. sprayed them out with contact cleaner.

i don't think this code is an uncommon problem during a ej22 swap but i can't find the cause. i don't even know what it is referring to.

is this referenced in the FSM, p1104??

please help. the car runs great but the code comes back every other day.

John, P1104 is a TCS (Traction Control System) code. So, before we go further, does your '98 OB have TCS?

i don't know. it's new and i have only driven it ~500 miles but i have no indications of having traction control.

although i don't really know what it is or what indications there would be inside the car.

my only glimmer of hope with this code is that it is a circuit problem. but i don't know where to begin.

thanks.

i don't know. it's new and i have only driven it ~500 miles but i have no indications of having traction control.

although i don't really know what it is or what indications there would be inside the car.

There's a warning light and switch on the dash for TCS you could check for. If they exist, let me know, and ignore the rest of this post. Otherwise...

my only glimmer of hope with this code is that it is a circuit problem. but i don't know where to begin.

thanks.

Luckily, I know where to begin, so there should be more than a glimmer. :)

I suspect that the car doesn't have TCS. There's an ECU pin that's normally grounded through the engine harness when there's no TCS, and the '95 engine probably doesn't have it wired in its harness. The 16-pin bulkhead connector B22 mates to engine connector E3. Take a look at B22 position #16 (diagram attached), and verify there's a wire there. Then look at the what would mate with it on the E3 engine connector. On cars that don't have TCS, position #16 of E3 should have a wire going to ground. If that position is empty on your '95 engine, that's almost certainly why you're getting P1104.

If you still have the original engine, take a look at its connector E3, #16, to verify.

post-15889-136027645213_thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...

so i checked the b22 connector and all of the engine side were populated but i added a ground anyway. no help. i did not look at the egine side of the connector on the original engine though, it's 45 mins away in the mountains and there is snow on the ground. but i do still have it.

(NOTE: on b22, the bottom row of pins, 13 - 16 all go to ground unless you have a car w/ TCS.)

so now i'm back at square one.

another piece of info, the ecu is not the 98 obw ecu, it is from a 96 lego L wagon. i have access to a 98 which i think i'll swap in just for grins, but i'm not optimistic. but i guess the wiring could be different between the 2.

the car runs great. we took it on a 700 mile round trip and it didn't miss a beat.

any ideas??

thanks.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 1 month later...

I am in a very similar situation

P1104

P0441

P0507

96 legacy 2.2L and ECU into a 97 Impreza Wagon

both 5mt and AWD

did it drive fine before u added the ground?

Mine sputters bucks when I engine brake.

Any idea how to resolve the evap canister situation? (imp used a box in the back, legacy used a can up front)

I am in a very similar situation

P1104

P0441

P0507

96 legacy 2.2L and ECU into a 97 Impreza Wagon

both 5mt and AWD

did it drive fine before u added the ground?

Mine sputters bucks when I engine brake.

Any idea how to resolve the evap canister situation? (imp used a box in the back, legacy used a can up front)

runs fine with or without the ground.

i haven't addressed either one yet. my current thinking is that the evap is the solenoid or whatever it is next to the canister in the back and the torque control is either a bad wire connection, corrosion maybe, or a difference in the wire harness/ ECU.

did you try and run the engine on the 97 ECU?

Edited by johnceggleston

I am so happy to see your reply. I checked out the link re: p0441, I have some questions about evap, but first, let's talk ecu/p1104.

I did try the 97 ecu but it had some water damage. A long story really.

There is a ground on my B22 but I might try jumping a new ground in there.

I tried adjusting he screw on the tb, thinking maybe it was too open and the tps never reads true zero. It still ran funny, but different. I've got the ground off the battery now. This could also explain the high idle problem

I still think there's something wrong with my evap.

The legacy used a can in the engine, and the impreza used a box in the back. I have tried a few configurations. Right now the can is connected up front and the back is all blocked off. Now I'm gonna try to block the front and use the box or attempt to trace these lines and resolve the system

Ideas as far as evap configuration goes?

Thanks for your help.

On second inspection... What about linking the two lines for the can together, and connectig that node to the vac solenoid under the intake, so whichever goes to gas vapor can be drawn into intake. Then, I'll reinstall the evap box so the purge solenoid is hooked up properly. Then if it connects the purge line, it will open the line that goes to the can now.

where are you getting your trouble code definitions? p1104 is for torque control, a circuit problem i think. it has nothing to do with the tps. adjusting the screw on the throttle body can screw up how the cart runs. put it back the way it was and leave it alone. if it was right in the other car it will be right in this car.

here's a link to a 97 FSM it has the codes and procedures for sorting them out. it may take some time to hunt and find the section you want.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/1997_Legacy_FSM/

p0441 is an evap purge fault problem. the link i gave you had possible causes and solutions lower on the page. (see below) not subaru specific, i don't think but good enough to start sorting it out. the part that made sense to me was ''faulty purge solenoid'' or ''Corrosion or resistance in purge connector'' the previous owner on my car backed into the ocean unloading at a boat ramp. salt water equals corrosion. i guess it could also be a canister full of salt water?

how did your ECU get wet, corroded? i have the time for a long story.

Causes

A code P0441 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

• Bad vacuum switch
  • Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
  • Open in PCM purge command circuit
  • Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
  • Faulty purge solenoid
  • Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
  • Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
  • Bad PCM

Possible Solutions

With a P0441 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

• Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP
  • Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister
  • Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
  • Repair open in PCM purge command circuit
  • Replace purge Solenoid
  • Replace vacuum switch
  • Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or soleniod
  • Repair resistance in purge connector
  • Replace PCM

Edited by johnceggleston

We are working with the same definitions of codes, I'm not sure what sparked that question, but maybe it was the approach I took with the TPS and idle screw adjustment, so I'll address that first. I noticed it would only have the problem during or shortly after a long period of engine braking, say coasting down a hill at like 40 MPH, in gear. And, in this case, I know the engine leans itself out to not waste fuel, so I thought maybe it was because the idle screw had already been adjusted, and adjusted improperly. I wish I hadn't ever touched it, but it was already done, so I tried to set it back.

The state of the car now:

I replaced the grounds from batter to engine, and batter to body. They weer both really bad. I know this car sat a while, outside, with a hole or 2 in the roof (why the ECU was toast) so I suspect the wires in the harness might be bad, and that's probably why, as you said a few posts ago, the P1104 is getting thrown.

It was running fine for a while after I replaced the grounds. But then when the tank got a lil more empty, it started having some low-rpm issues again (a rough idle and bucking and stalling occasionally) I checked the gas cap and there was some vacuum (i heard it whoosh) in the tank, so I think the improper evap setup is the reason I'm having issues. I think this problem is along the lines of: the purge line has a solenoid in there that the 96 legacy ECU has no intention of controlling, So the evap line to the engine is never opened. I'm going to try and bypass or remove the purge solenoid today, and see where that gets me.

HOLD THE PRESSES.

i swapped in another ECU from a 98 and both of my codes, p1104 and p0441, went away. apparently it is not a problem with the car, or the ''torque control'' or the ''evap flow'' but a difference in the ECUs and the ''pin out''.

so i suggest finding a new ecu from a 98. mine had a ''Z1'' om the cover.

i'm not sure it will help with the p0507, but the other 2 went away.

after the ECU swap, and the first drive cycle, i had a p0440 pending. but after the second drive cycle all was clear.

i will report back if it changes.

I was afraid of that. Mine still bucks when the gas tank is low and builds up vac. I think this is because the purge control never opens because the 96 legacy doesn't have the same kind of evap system and only handles the pressure solenoid under the intake, not the plug in the back corner

I guess the 1104 is the same situation.

Maybe I'll try to find a new ecu. Let me know if u get more codes, I suspect my 507 will go away as it usually isn't active and is only thrown because my purge control system is 'clogged'

John:

The ECU is from a 97 outback. Let me know if you want it.

Mike

i'm not sure just yet. i'll keep it in mind. i need to decide / learn if it HAS TO BE a 98. i doubt it but you never know

last night i swapped the 96 lego L ECU, that threw the codes in the 98 obw, into my 97 GT (w/ej22) just to see what would happen. the 97 GT seems to be running fine so far, no codes.

i haven't driven the 98 obw w/ the 97 GT ECU in it yet. it starts and runs with out codes, but i didn't drive it and the codes i had in the 98 took 2 drive cycles to set.

does yours have a big ''1Z'' on it and part number 22611-AD60A?