Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how can I lower my brat?

You've been here a few weeks now, so the time has come for you to get intimate with the search function. :)

Here is what I found when searching for threads about lowering an EA81:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94001&highlight=lower

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74356&highlight=lower

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64473&highlight=lower

Sorry, but +1.....

And I already know it's coming... "To each his own."

Without permanent alteration to the rear suspension, thus destroying it's value, there is no way to lower it. You COULD *cough* take the trailing arm and move it counter clockwise on the torsion bar, however this would result in no rear spring tension and you would be riding on the bump stops. It would also pose a definite safety risk. In short, PLEASE don't....

Consider an ea82 model for lowering. With such a patform you can use fwd xt struts and do some mazda miata rear coilover struts, and have some compatibility with later model subarus with some mods and the right combination of parts.

the best you can do with the brat is to set the adjustable suspension to its lowest settings.

Go ahead and lower it. It will not pose a safty risk, nor will it be a permanent modification that can't be undone. I've been running my EA81T wagon in a lowered position going on four years now without any ill effect.

Sounds to me like the haters out there are jealous that they don't have a spare BRAT to lower.

If you think he shouldn't lower it, start your own thread, ajs425, or hit me up and check out mine. We live in the same city...

Ok, so how did you lower the rear without modifying or changing the position of the trailing arm on the torsion bar? The reason I ask is that I toyed with changing the positions both up and down with my second Brat years ago and found that when down (lowered) that it rode on the bump stops, had no spring tension in the rear equating to a lot of 'slop' and when driven over 40 mph, any bump more than slight caused the thing to swerve all over the road. And to answer the impending question: No, there were no other bad suspension issues. New shocks, struts and ball joints.

And BTW, I currently have four Brats and would never think of turning any one of them into a 'rice burner'. Yes, it's true I believe it's sacralige to lower a Brat, put on coffee can exhaust, oversized dash tach, shopping cart handle on the bed and whatever else. I didn't voice my opinion in the first post because I do believe everyone is entitled to do as they wish. It's their taste and vehicle. I hate to see a Brat ill modded to a point where the resale and intrinsic value are all but gone due to the amount of work it will take to return it to 'stock' form. To paraphrase something GD posted the other day, excellent condition Brats are bringing close to $10K at auction. I haven't seen a one that was lifted, lowered, screwed, glued, etc. that's come anywhere close to what the stock ones go for. These vehicles have reached icon status and are scarce to come by in good shape and only getting fewer and farther between. I have one that's almost beyond restoration, so it's going to get lifted with an ER27 conversion. The cost to bring it back is too much compared to making it sake for wheeling. In the instance you possess a rig like that, go for it. It's already toast. Sorry, didn't mean to go off and don't mean to sound hoity-toity, but Brats hold a value far higher than any other EA81 and it's clearly reflected in the resale prices. JMTC... it is his Brat...

Edited by skishop69

not to sound like a wongleflute but why would you want to??? its a brat they deserve to be raised its like lowering a wrangler

Sorry, but +1.....

And I already know it's coming... "To each his own."

Without permanent alteration to the rear suspension, thus destroying it's value, there is no way to lower it. You COULD *cough* take the trailing arm and move it counter clockwise on the torsion bar, however this would result in no rear spring tension and you would be riding on the bump stops. It would also pose a definite safety risk. In short, PLEASE don't....

Those who do not know the EA81 suspension should not reply about EA81 suspension.

Rotating the position of the torsion arm will lower the rear. Not harming anything. Not permanently altering anything. Fronts can be lowered with 2wd suspension and altered springs. Again, not permanent or damaging.

Bob Barci lowered a EA81 Hatch. It looked good and handled well. Still under-powered though.

And yes, to each his own!

I know about the adjustment, though I don't consider the 2" you get from that to be lowering. When people say 'lowering', I think slamming. I have nothing against lowered vehicles in general. A lot of them are pretty damn sweet. Just kinda purist on the Brat is all....

Not adjustment. Reclocking the torsion bar. It requires removing it and reinstalling it in another position.

Which is what I put in my other post. We moved it one spline to lower it and had bad results. We had no intention of leaving it that way, we just had too much time on our hands and were screwing around.

Qman and I are saying the opposite. I reclocked the rear torsion bars by a single tooth. Yes, it rides the bump stops and sucks over broken pavement, but it doesn't swerve across the road on big bumps, nor is it unsafe. Been that way going on four years.

Ok, so how did you lower the rear without modifying or changing the position of the trailing arm on the torsion bar? The reason I ask is that I toyed with changing the positions both up and down with my second Brat years ago and found that when down (lowered) that it rode on the bump stops, had no spring tension in the rear equating to a lot of 'slop' and when driven over 40 mph, any bump more than slight caused the thing to swerve all over the road. And to answer the impending question: No, there were no other bad suspension issues. New shocks, struts and ball joints.

And BTW, I currently have four Brats and would never think of turning any one of them into a 'rice burner'. Yes, it's true I believe it's sacralige to lower a Brat, put on coffee can exhaust, oversized dash tach, shopping cart handle on the bed and whatever else. I didn't voice my opinion in the first post because I do believe everyone is entitled to do as they wish. It's their taste and vehicle. I hate to see a Brat ill modded to a point where the resale and intrinsic value are all but gone due to the amount of work it will take to return it to 'stock' form. To paraphrase something GD posted the other day, excellent condition Brats are bringing close to $10K at auction. I haven't seen a one that was lifted, lowered, screwed, glued, etc. that's come anywhere close to what the stock ones go for. These vehicles have reached icon status and are scarce to come by in good shape and only getting fewer and farther between. I have one that's almost beyond restoration, so it's going to get lifted with an ER27 conversion. The cost to bring it back is too much compared to making it sake for wheeling. In the instance you possess a rig like that, go for it. It's already toast. Sorry, didn't mean to go off and don't mean to sound hoity-toity, but Brats hold a value far higher than any other EA81 and it's clearly reflected in the resale prices. JMTC... it is his Brat...

Im not trying to start an arguement but Im not making my brat look like a ricer! i was just interested in the thought of lowering a brat and If it was cheaper than lifting it, I probably wont do any of that to it and leave it at normal ride height, but the ride height does bother me because it looks like its nose diving into the ground!!!

I am putting a hoodscoop on the brat but I have another ea81 hood that i am going to mount and mold the hood scoop too so there is no worries about ruining original stuff.

and i am restoring my brat, the inside is almost done, all new carpet,a whole kicker sound system including 12inch sub and amp with two 6.5' kicker door speakers, and soon to come two 6x9 kickers behind the seats with a custom box. also im redoing the whole inside black with blue carpet and xt6 seats:)

as for an exhaust I have chosen a "FART CAN" as you say, but its my Brat and I will do whatever I want to my Brat,if i want it to be loud then its going too, if I want it lowered it will be lowered, Brats were manufactured to the public and the public can do anything they want to there brat, no one said that you cant lower a brat.

Once again not argueing just stating a point and giving my opinon.

SJ

whoa there killer, I think either you raise or lower it, it is still making it "yours". There is always gonna be purists and flamers that will give you crap about it, but just don't rice it and I think everyone's undees will unbundle once they see it

caboobaroo, that is pretty sweet, except for that 5hp racing stripe on the hood :grin: j/k I like the drift truck idea, its unibody so it qualifies!!!

I run a "coffee can" on my gl wagon, and it sounds friggen sweet! I get double takes from people in WRX's and STI's all the time, once they hear that subaru garble. now, to make an audio clip of my car...

Edited by Ricearu

SJ, I fully understand you're point. As I said earlier, it's your rig and I agree everyone's taste is different. I have seen lowered Brat's before. Someone posted that restored Brat that was slammed, lambo doors and metallic green. I loved that. I still think it was sacrilage, but it was sweet. I do tend to be strong in my opinions, and for that I do apologize if it came off harsh.

Carfreak: "Qman and I are saying the opposite. I reclocked the rear torsion bars by a single tooth."

So, reclocking the torsion bar in the housing is not the same as reclocking the trailing arm on the torsion bar? Is the spline count different from the inside to the outside?

Rides rough you say? That's the reason I won't lower anything. I like my spine straight and my a** not beat flat.... :lol:

SJ, I fully understand you're point. As I said earlier, it's your rig and I agree everyone's taste is different. I have seen lowered Brat's before. Someone posted that restored Brat that was slammed, lambo doors and metallic green. I loved that. I still think it was sacrilage, but it was sweet. I do tend to be strong in my opinions, and for that I do apologize if it came off harsh.

Carfreak: "Qman and I are saying the opposite. I reclocked the rear torsion bars by a single tooth."

So, reclocking the torsion bar in the housing is not the same as reclocking the trailing arm on the torsion bar? Is the spline count different from the inside to the outside?

Rides rough you say? That's the reason I won't lower anything. I like my spine straight and my a** not beat flat.... :lol:

I think I did take you a different way but Im glad that you do agree.

ive just had bad past experiences with forums.

SJ

whoa there killer, I think either you raise or lower it, it is still making it "yours". There is always gonna be purists and flamers that will give you crap about it, but just don't rice it and I think everyone's undees will unbundle once they see it

caboobaroo, that is pretty sweet, except for that 5hp racing stripe on the hood :grin: j/k I like the drift truck idea, its unibody so it qualifies!!!

I run a "coffee can" on my gl wagon, and it sounds friggen sweet! I get double takes from people in WRX's and STI's all the time, once they hear that subaru garble. now, to make an audio clip of my car...

I like your response but im alittle confused on the 5hp racing stripe??? what do you mean?

SJ

Personally I wish I had a gen 1 BRAT to lower. There is something about their body style that gives them that nice rounded hot rod look. I think would be sick as hell to lower say a 79 or 80, throw a WRX motor in it, custom build the suspension so that it can also have the 6 speed tranny, and wrx suspension groupo/awd drive train, build a lip kit, and flare the fenders a bit, throw on some low pro shoes and nice rims and have a blast with it.

Now my 86...well I am flip flop every day between leaving it stock and doing stock resto on it, or still the resto but add 4in lift to it. I am certain of one thing, it is going to get an OBII EJ conversion. I will of course leave all stock wireing alone so that if I needed to I could go back to EA81 status.