Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi from washington, 1st 1993 loyale few problems hope to fix

hi my name is zac i just got this car off craigslist for the snowboarding season since my bagged truck cant make it up to the mountain. well turns out its got trouble before its snow ready.

1. wen the throttle is 3/4 to wide open it dies or boggs down and will just die if i dont let up.

2. the car really doesnt heat up only stays on the bottom third of the temp.

3. my worst problem is not having heat its like a luke warm sometimes.

well i hope you guys can guide me in the right direction thanks in advance

hi my name is zac i just got this car off craigslist for the snowboarding season since my bagged truck cant make it up to the mountain. well turns out its got trouble before its snow ready.

1. wen the throttle is 3/4 to wide open it dies or boggs down and will just die if i dont let up.

2. the car really doesnt heat up only stays on the bottom third of the temp.

3. my worst problem is not having heat its like a luke warm sometimes.

well i hope you guys can guide me in the right direction thanks in advance

!) Several possible causes, but dirty fuel filter tops my list. Others include the usual tune-up items (Plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, and timing). If it runs fine most of the time and starts to fall flat on its face under load, low fuel flow due to clogged fuel filter is most likely.

2) Subaru temp gauges are notoriously inexact. Just because it reads low doesn't mean that it is. However, coupled with your "not having heat" (I assume from the heater/defroster), I would guess that someone removed the thermostat. If true, they might have done so in some misguided attempt to relieve a cooling problem... like a clogged radiator.

3) see 2)

well ill defnetly check out that fuel filter but i got the car from some random guy up in the hills and i think the thermostat might be removed cause its got another fan next to the stock one that always runs its all ghettoly put in there just jumped to a fuse in the panel... i dont think the heater core is plugged cause i took off the lines and they flow coolant. is there i way i can check to see no thermo? or just tear it apart and replace? do you know were this fuel filter could be located?

well ill defnetly check out that fuel filter but i got the car from some random guy up in the hills and i think the thermostat might be removed cause its got another fan next to the stock one that always runs its all ghettoly put in there just jumped to a fuse in the panel... i dont think the heater core is plugged cause i took off the lines and they flow coolant. is there i way i can check to see no thermo? or just tear it apart and replace? do you know were this fuel filter could be located?

Hey man.. it COULD be a fuel filter but by the way it sounds you may not have one :lol: your gas tank can have a vacuum/not vent right.. if you want to find the filter simply follow the fuel line.. These cars are stupid simple

or ill just take 5 minutes to make a pic for you :)

DSCF0242.jpg

Looks like this from the side

GF193.jpg

I'd just pull the thermostat housing and check er out.. with a ghetto fan rigged up and no thermostat (low/no heat from heater core) ill promise you that your radiator is plugged up and that was a cheap "fix" look for a radiator and remove the rigged fan heres a parts link http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/2058059213.html