Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Compass mirror issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 andyduff

andyduff

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • midwest

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

I'm having problems calibrating the compass on the rearview mirror of my 2002 legacy gt limited. I'm following the directions in the manual -- holding button to calibrate then driving in circles -- but definitely not working.

Anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas on fixing? Will only say west or southwest. Dimmer seems to work.

Thanks

#2 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

Even if it's uncalibrated it should still display all points on the compass not just west & south west.

Have you tried disconnecting it for a while? I'm not sure it there is a procedure for "resetting" the memory, but maybe 24 hrs without power would do it.

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

Just a thought, but any magnetic material anywhere close to the compass that might interfere with where it's pointing? Roof mounted antenna base perhaps?

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

just so you know, some procedures are hard to get right, this doesn't seem like one of them in my experience. they usually are straight by the book and simple.

if it doesn't have homelink and you have a remote control garage consider this a chance to upgrade to the one with homelink, they're awesome.

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

if it doesn't have homelink and you have a remote control garage consider this a chance to upgrade to the one with homelink, they're awesome.

dear santa,

i have been a very good subie owner this year........ :)

#6 andyduff

andyduff

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • midwest

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for feedback. I'll try disconnecting, if I can figure out how to do that. Not much of a "car guy."

I don't think there are any magnetic things near it. I've even been driving out into the middle of huge, abandoned parking lots to try to calibrate, just in case of buildings or other things influencing the calibration.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:28 AM

I've even been driving out into the middle of huge, abandoned parking lots to try to calibrate, .

why are all these black cars and men in black suits and sunglasses following me? :lol:

#8 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for feedback. I'll try disconnecting, if I can figure out how to do that. Not much of a "car guy."

There's a plug on the back of the mirror. You can see it though the windshield, just press the little catch tab and remove the plug.

#9 andyduff

andyduff

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • midwest

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Left unplugged for two days. Was hopeful when it said "N" at first but then went back to the usual "SW." Still won't calibrate.

Maybe I'll just leave it unplugged permanently!

Thanks for the help.

#10 daehttub2000

daehttub2000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

I had that problem on my 2002 WRX a few years back. I was always getting lost (this was before I had GPS for my car) until I realized that the compass was no longer working properly. The dealership replaced it free of charge and informed me that Subaru had a whole batch of bad compass mirrors in 2002. I hope you can find an honest dealer and hopefully they'll fix it even out of warranty.

Now I get lost with my GPS because the GPS is sometimes buggy:dead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users