Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knocking from front limited slip on 89 Subaru GL

i am having the same problems locating loud grinding noises on my 82 brat.. ive replaced both front axles and softened some of the noise up front.. i am still having problems locating loud gear noise cumming from *what i think is* the transmission , U-Joints , or the rearend... will it damage anything to remove the rear drive line and drive the car on freeways for a few days?? this will allow me to better locate where these strange gear noises are cumming from

i am having the same problems locating loud grinding noises on my 82 brat.. ive replaced both front axles and softened some of the noise up front.. i am still having problems locating loud gear noise cumming from *what i think is* the transmission , U-Joints , or the rearend... will it damage anything to remove the rear drive line and drive the car on freeways for a few days?? this will allow me to better locate where these strange gear noises are cumming from

That has the one-piece driveshaft, right?

If it does, you can't just remove it or all your transmission gear oil will leak out.

With the two-part ones you can just remove the rear section

When my driveshaft was going bad it made these clunky noises. But going slow and straight if I put it in 4wd the clunking went away or changed.

yea that sounds about right... but that is only one of the noises..lol i know for sure it also needs the rear drivers side CV replaced.. it is also missing the shock on that side.. and i believe the transmission has a few problems as well...lol

i think i should just burn the car..lol:Flame: