Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold Air Intake on 2003 Subaru Legacy

Hey, i dont know much about cars but i do know subaru engines are more confusing than the norm. I am trying to put a cold air intake on my subaru legacy. I bought a K&N apollo air filter but now im not sure if the i should remove the air filter already on the engine because i think the MAP sensor is attached to the stock filter. if i cant remove the current air filter then theres not much point in having two air filters so i'll send back the K&N apollo and just make some homemade cold air intake piping to replace the air box. just looking for advice on whether or not i can remove the stock filter and if everything will work out, thanks

the easiest way to get more out of your engine would be to remove all the emissions crap and use a different computer to run it. but since you can't do that and get your car to pass most? state inspections, you're stuck.

i'd be interested to know what the hp is on a jdm or european engine. same ? different?

i don't know what car looks like, but i have heard you will gain more from removing the roof rack than modifying the engine. of course that has not stopped folks from making changes they wanted to make.

Hey, i dont know much about cars but i do know subaru engines are more confusing than the norm. I am trying to put a cold air intake on my subaru legacy. I bought a K&N apollo air filter but now im not sure if the i should remove the air filter already on the engine because i think the MAP sensor is attached to the stock filter. if i cant remove the current air filter then theres not much point in having two air filters so i'll send back the K&N apollo and just make some homemade cold air intake piping to replace the air box. just looking for advice on whether or not i can remove the stock filter and if everything will work out, thanks

Also unless it goes into the front fender, it is no longer a CAI. It will be sucking in warm/hat air from under the hood. The stock set up takes air from outside the hood, has the ability to remove excess water (subarus have been known to forge streams sometimes).

Ok - you don't seem to understand.

1. You already have a CAI - All Subaru's do.

2. You will not gain any MPG or HP with your cone filter.

3. You WILL probably cause resonance issues, make more noise, and gain the ability to hydro-lock your engine.

The K&N filter you bought is entirely useless - it's a gimmick and you will only devalue the car and possibly cause great harm by installing it. Just return it and be happy that Subaru's are so well designed.

If you want more power you need to install a set of performance cams.

GD

• Like 1

Ok - you don't seem to understand.

1. You already have a CAI - All Subaru's do.

2. You will not gain any MPG or HP with your cone filter.

3. You WILL probably cause resonance issues, make more noise, and gain the ability to hydro-lock your engine.

The K&N filter you bought is entirely useless - it's a gimmick and you will only devalue the car and possibly cause great harm by installing it. Just return it and be happy that Subaru's are so well designed.

If you want more power you need to install a set of performance cams.

GD

What he said

The 2003 Legacy has a pressure sensor, and more importantly, a combination MAF/IAT sensor. Proper functioning of any MAF is dependent on air flow past it being relatively smooth. The factory intake is designed to accomplish that. By replacing it with something else, at various engine speeds you'll likely encounter resonance/turbulance/pulsation that will upset the MAF's ability to properly read the air flow. Even if you manage to gain something with your modification, there's a good chance that there will be a performance and/or drivability issue of some sort in exchange.