Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 Outback stereo questions

I love the factory stereo in my Outback...got great sound. What I'm wondering is whether a separate CD/MP3 player (with Ipod hookup) will work with this radio. If I could find one to fit where the factory disc changer would go, this would be great, but I don't know whether the radio would be able to decode the MP3's. Let me know if you have any ideas.

I know the later Subaru stereos had hookups for ipods & read mp3 cds. You could try looking at a stereo from a newer subaru and see if it'll work.

I don't know for sure, but I'm going to guess the opening area is a double DIN. Most of the aftermarket stuff is a single DIN.

Hopefully some others can chime in with some suggestions as well.

If I can't find a way to make the factory stereo work, then I may have to go aftermarket. I wonder if I would need to change the speakers, also. I think the car has 2 small speakers in the corner of each front door, in addition to the ones in the bottom of the doors. I don't know where I would get replacement speakers that small or that would sound as good. Does anyone know who made the stereo system for Subaru?

you can replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket cd player that is a single-din, you get a pocket to take the place of the other stock unit. all that is needed to make it work is a wiring harness and a pocket. the stock brackets will allow you to bolt up the after market deck.

as far as the front speakers, they are a 6.5 in in the lower part of the door and a 1" tweeter on the top. if they are not blown you don't have to replace them they will work fine with the aftermarket unit. if you do have to replace them, I recommend the Infinity Reference 6.5 inch components. they will fit in the stock location, maybe a little trimming if the plastic basket that the stock speaker is mounted to.