Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LOCKER! What do ya'll think?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 venom8343

venom8343

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tupelo

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hi all I have found this site that sells some subaru lockers. Yall check this out and see if one would work for our GL's. Heres the link http://store.phantom...43cdedf30b3d5c1

#2 venom8343

venom8343

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tupelo

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

Man I wish I could find that thread, cause Ive searched everywhere and cant find a thing!

#3 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,081 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

http://www.ultimates...hantom forester

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,983 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

phantom grip is not a locker. it's an LSD. and a crappy one at that.

#5 venom8343

venom8343

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tupelo

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Can somebody post me a direct link to a website that sells lsd's/lockers for the old GL's. Cause one of your links, the business was shut down. And I still can't find a thing!

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

there's a search function here, maybe zap used it it to find that forester. use that and search for phantom grip. go advanced search too to narrow it down more if you like. either way you can find multiple phantom grip threads, info in less than 15 seconds.

here's info about interchangeability:
http://www.ultimates...ht=phantom grip

#7 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

Heck, the dealer sells one...

#8 venom8343

venom8343

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tupelo

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

hey Grossgary....Thanks! Finally a few real answers to my questions.

#9 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

Heres my locker....... :grin:

Posted Image

#10 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Heres my locker....... :grin:

Posted Image

thats the only one you need!!!!cheers

#11 Psyko

Psyko

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Washington

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

I think this is the thread you were referring to, Gary.

http://ultimatesubar...ead.php?t=49241

#12 TeamCF

TeamCF

Rocker panel smasher

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

Closest you MIGHT get is to look at the VW Synco Van lockers.

I had a link to an offroad shop that does them for front and rear diffs in the VW's (I hear the front diff is similar to the r160...) But I lost all my bookmarks. Have to dig in the 4wheel drive off road mag I saw the article in last year.
I'm just to cheap to bother with the research. (they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

These guys sell transaxles with lockers. But you have to buy the whole thing and there is no guarantee you'll be able to make it work in a Soob trans (proly won't) ... http://www.gowesty.c...gory_parent_id=

Edited by TeamCF, 28 November 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#13 venom8343

venom8343

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tupelo

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

Well it seems there are a few people that said they do make some stuff for them. Im gonna try a phantom grip I guess.

#14 Tycho

Tycho

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Phantom Grip provides next to nothing for LSD torque transfer.

Check out these images then read the rest of my post:
http://web.me.com/dg...grip/index.html

After posting those pictures in 2003 or 2004, I remember all sorts of PG users sending me hate mail/hate messages on forums talking about how great it worked for them and how I must have installed it wrong/etc. This is a case of psychological refusal to acknowledge the sunk cost of buying garbage.

I had one of the first ones on my 2001 Saturn about 9 years ago when the car was almost new. It was complete ************. I also installed one of their diff pins at the time (that was supposed to solve the Saturn diff pin problem ... which was actually solved in 1998 or so when the OE pin became a hardened steel piece ... but I didn't know this at the time). The PG diff pin was not hardened and lasted about 25,000 miles before snapping and taking my transaxle with it. At that point tho, I had already built up a new transmission with slightly modified synchros and a Quaife because I had been so profoundly disappointed with the Phantom Grip.

My PG originally had the soft red springs ... then I "upgraded" to the stiff green springs. The difference was about 7-10 lb-ft of torque transfer. Took the diff from 13ish lb-ft to around 20. Once the spider gear carrier bearings started melting, that torque number fell back a bit.

I don't really get the big deal over a $300 dollar LSD. What is your time worth? When you use cheap ************ you are flushing both time and money down a toilet. When you use good ************ it costs up front, then you just enjoy it and drive with no worries for years and years. Plus it works better the whole time.

#15 venom8343

venom8343

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tupelo

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

I don't think I'll be trying a phantom grip now....lol. I may just do a factory front LSD. Think I seen some on ebay for around 300 or so.

#16 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

cheap way to do it is find a 1/4 inch spring plate that is bent into a s and sit it between the spider gears

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users