Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LOCKER! What do ya'll think?

venom8343

there's a search function here, maybe zap used it it to find that forester. use that and search for phantom grip. go advanced search too to narrow it down more if you like. either way you can find multiple phantom grip threads, info in less than 15 seconds.

here's info about interchangeability:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49241&highlight=phantom+grip

Closest you MIGHT get is to look at the VW Synco Van lockers.

I had a link to an offroad shop that does them for front and rear diffs in the VW's (I hear the front diff is similar to the r160...) But I lost all my bookmarks. Have to dig in the 4wheel drive off road mag I saw the article in last year.

I'm just to cheap to bother with the research. (they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

These guys sell transaxles with lockers. But you have to buy the whole thing and there is no guarantee you'll be able to make it work in a Soob trans (proly won't) ... http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4281&category_id=386&category_parent_id=

Edited by TeamCF

Phantom Grip provides next to nothing for LSD torque transfer.

Check out these images then read the rest of my post:

http://web.me.com/dgiessel/Pictures/car/phantom_grip/index.html

After posting those pictures in 2003 or 2004, I remember all sorts of PG users sending me hate mail/hate messages on forums talking about how great it worked for them and how I must have installed it wrong/etc. This is a case of psychological refusal to acknowledge the sunk cost of buying garbage.

I had one of the first ones on my 2001 Saturn about 9 years ago when the car was almost new. It was complete ************. I also installed one of their diff pins at the time (that was supposed to solve the Saturn diff pin problem ... which was actually solved in 1998 or so when the OE pin became a hardened steel piece ... but I didn't know this at the time). The PG diff pin was not hardened and lasted about 25,000 miles before snapping and taking my transaxle with it. At that point tho, I had already built up a new transmission with slightly modified synchros and a Quaife because I had been so profoundly disappointed with the Phantom Grip.

My PG originally had the soft red springs ... then I "upgraded" to the stiff green springs. The difference was about 7-10 lb-ft of torque transfer. Took the diff from 13ish lb-ft to around 20. Once the spider gear carrier bearings started melting, that torque number fell back a bit.

I don't really get the big deal over a $300 dollar LSD. What is your time worth? When you use cheap ************ you are flushing both time and money down a toilet. When you use good ************ it costs up front, then you just enjoy it and drive with no worries for years and years. Plus it works better the whole time.