Jump to content


Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Photo
- - - - -

Gremlin at the turn of the key


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 99lego

99lego

    USMB Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

When I turn the key the brake, seatbelt, and door lights ignite on the dash but when I turn it all the way they dim, along with any interior lights, and all I hear is clicking like the relay is bad.
No spark or crank.

The car has been doing this intermittently for a few weeks.

I just replaced the starter and now I'm about to have a coronary 'cause she can't get me to work tomm.

'99 leg w/ 160k

#2 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

    What's REALLY going on???

  • Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:00 AM

Sounds like you might have bad connections at the battery. or a dying battery.

#3 eulogious

eulogious

    Inspiring Subaneer

  • Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Olympia, WA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:12 AM

Dead battery. Get it tested and most likely replaced and you should be good to go! Any local auto parts store should be able to test the battery for you... Good luck!

#4 Allpar Mod

Allpar Mod

    USMB is life!

  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Western Pennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

Intermittant sounds like it either is bad terminal(s) at the battery or a short internally with the battery. If the battery is relatively old (4 years or more), I'd replace it along with both terminals. This should rectify your problems.

#5 EVOthis

EVOthis

    1000+ Super USER!

  • Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

Also check for excessive corrosion in the battery cables, most noticeably the ground which grounds back at the bolt that goes through the transmission bell housing.... I have seen this cause odd issues more times than once...

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

    It's a sickness

  • Members
  • 9,425 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Battery and/or Connections.

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

    Su bah roo'n

  • Gold Subscribers
  • 8,941 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Poor battery connection. Check the cables at both ends for tight and clean.

#8 nipper

nipper

    Semi Elite Master of the

  • Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Bad battery (no electrons for a bad battery)
bad cable/s
bad grounds
dirty terminals

All of the above.

There was probably nothing really wrong with the starter as that is usually just the contacts.

#9 99lego

99lego

    USMB Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

Bad battery (no electrons for a bad battery)
bad cable/s
bad grounds
dirty terminals

All of the above.

There was probably nothing really wrong with the starter as that is usually just the contacts.


I was in a huge rush this morning so I grabbed a room temp ~65 deg. Pepsi and poured it on the contacts. Cranked them down a notch and BOOM!!!!
Back in buisness.

#10 nipper

nipper

    Semi Elite Master of the

  • Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

I was in a huge rush this morning so I grabbed a room temp ~65 deg. Pepsi and poured it on the contacts. Cranked them down a notch and BOOM!!!!
Back in buisness.



Then you need to take off the terminals and do a REAL cleaning to them. There has been extensive talk on CarTalk about this and no one knows why it works. Usually it is baking soda and water. Either way clean the terminals with a terminal brush.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users