Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

1stpicatboxerbobsplace.jpg

( had to edit pic as original didn't work no more)

This is the Wagon I picked up 11-20-10.
Got's lots of work to do to get it back on the road, but I'll get r done.
Good clean body, way better than anything I could get around these parts.
Not sure of what engine I have here that will wind up in it, just know it will have the D/R 5-speed in it.
Got everything here to do an XT6 5-lug swap on it, so thinking that will happen.

Played around out in the garage today to make room for it. I'm way :eek: that it actually fits and I can walk around it.
Now, just waiting for parts to get here for my heater so I can be toasty warm wrenching on it. But I'll do some playing with it until then, just not much....

One thing I'm POed at myself for doing, is getting rid of the '88 GL10 FWD Wagon we had here, before I got this one home. I find I be needing things that I could've snagged from it. Oh well, "stuff occurs"!!!! I'll make do in the meantime.

Major Kudo's to boxerbob for allowing me to get this from him for "FREE"!

Edited by TomRhere
  • Like 1

Spent some time out in the garage today.

Got it up on jackstands so I can start swapping the suspension stuff over to the 5-lug setup.

Got the front all out and on the floor. Swapped another rear trailing arm in on the PS. (lost that bearing on the trip home with it)

Pulled the drum brake parts off of both sides, and found that the DS rear has a worn bearing in it. So,,, I get to swap trailing arm on that side now. I'm believing that the other spare DS arm has good bearings. If not, I do have new bearings here, just not sure on the needed seals.

My back started complaining from all of the fun I had today and yesterday, so I be done for the day.

I am way happy about how the underside of this Wagon looks. :)

I'll try to get some pics of it as I go. But I don't own a camera anymore, so....

• 4 weeks later...

12-24;

Un-did the PO's rework of the strut towers and bolted in the XT6 struts.

Dropped the modded engine crossmember out, and removed the HH so I could clean up the mess from brake fluid.

Installed an XT6 engine crossmember after drilling the proper mounting hole on each side.

Located items to install a good EA82 PS rack, but may opt to install the XT6 one.

Got the XT6 knuckles assemblies ready to be installed, complete with control arms and radius rods.

Made sure I knew where the new motor and trans mounts were.

Sure wish I had the money for a 4" lift kit right now. (sigh)

But it was nice to have a warm garage to work in again. :)

12-26;

Spent time dry-ragging the gunk off all the front end components, yeehaa.. About 4 hours work there...

Bolted in the front knuckles and radius rod brackets.

Installed the trans crossmember twice, as I put it in backwards the 1st time.

Installed the XT6 steering rack.

Hooked up the steering column, and ran the PS lines.

Collected together all of the rear 5-lug items so I knew where they be.

Took inventory of all brake hoses and lines that need to be replaced.

Pondered the idea of going with the FTAWD trans for now, instead of waiting on needed DOJ's to run the D/R 5-speed.

Discovered that most of the completed work was pointless as I discovered that the XT6 engine crossmember has the motor mount holes further forward than the EA82 one. So, I get to swap the crossmember out. Yippie-yea.....

Over the long weekend, I got more accomplished.

Swapped out the XT6 crossmember for a different EA82 one. Not only did I have to open up the LCA holes in it so the pivot bolt would fit thru. I had to slot the holes about a 1/4" toward the bottom. Fun, fun, fun...

Dug out the EA81 that was in my 1st '86 BRAT, and started swapping needed parts over to it. Going to run a Weber on it for now, until I can amass all of the needed/missing SPFI parts. Just need to swap the clutch disc out for the EA82 one and shes ready to go in.

Did entertain the idea of stuffing one of the ER27 engines in there, but decided it was way to much hassle to do so. Darnit...

Opted to run the FTAWD 5-speed for now. It's in the Wagon, all bolted down with new mounts.

Had thought of swapping the axle stubs on the trans between this one and the D/R 5-speed, but decided against it. I'll just buy the correct axles to install the D/R at a later date.

Did find a lot of interesting stuff while looking up info on swapping the axle stubs...

I should have the engine bolted in tonight, and mostly hooked up. Then it's on to the rear of the Wagon. Hoping to have it capable of sitting on the tires by Friday.

Still have all of the brake work yet to do, but I need to be able to roll it out of the garage. Got a couple other vehicles what need attention.

what in the world???? O.O i just ************ my pants when i saw this pic of your Subaru. your Subaru is the same everything as mine to a 98 percent degree (from just what i see in the pic) you car is the same color, same color interior, same wheels, some make, year, model, same everything as the one i just bought and on the same freaking date. WTF???? the only difference i can see between yours and mine, is mine has the fully opening glass moon roof.

They put us on 10 hour days at work yesterday, so nothing done out in the garage last night.

Was late by the time I got home to do much of anything.

Interesting trip home on some ice covered roads. Had some Lake-Effect snow squals during the day, covered the roads in a nice sheet of ice. Saw lots of places where people had slid off the road(s). The BRAT handled it all real nicely, but did have to kick it into 4WD in a few places, just to climb the hill(s).

More work done.

Apparently, it depends on Manufacturer of the clutch disc for just installing an EA82 clutch disc with the EA81 pressure plate/flywheel when doing a 5-speed swap. Clutch disc would not fit any of the pressure plates I have here. Center section was to large.

So, it was on to swapping the XT6 flywheel/clutch pack onto the EA81.

Of course, I forgot to do the needed clearencing of the lower area of the bellhousing. Pull the stuff back off and do so. D'OH! :banghead:

Spent some time playing with various bracketry and what not I have here, trying to make a tensioner for the EA82 powersteering pump belt. Close, but no cigar yet. Got to bend a piece to fit, then I'll be good.

Stuffed the engine in where it belongs. But, forgot to insure that I didn't have 2 locating pins in the same area. Corrected that little issue, and finished bolting up the engine/trans.

Had a bit of a time getting the motor mounts to fit the crossmember, but over came that issue.

Started connecting the wires and hoses. Need to get under the dash and hook-up the speedometer cable. Yippee! Bifocals don't work so well upside down. Probally should've waited on bolting the driver's seat back in..

Christopher installed all of the rear brake components. Had a good chuckle or two, watching his attempts at torquing the axle nuts down. 1st time he's done so, and was a bit surprized by the amount of oomph required. Plus, he was having issue with keeping the prybar properly wedged against the lugs.

During the rumaging for brackets, I found a box with all of the soft lines for the brakes, new ones... Didn't know I had that stuff, or atleast I don't recall buying them. Probally came in one of the "box o' parts" I've bought over the years. Pleasant surprize there.

So, a couple short steel lines to purchase, await the arrivail of the MasterCylinder/Booster, and I can finish the brake system and check it off the list.

Be back out there in a few to do more wrenching.

Didn't get alot done, but did a bit of things. The BRAT needed some TLC today 1st.

Swapped in the new softlines for the front brakes.
Hooked up the heater hoses.
Hooked up and adjusted the throttle and clutch cables.
Decided to remove the Hill-Holder completely, so pulled it, and removed all brake lines under the hood. They'll be replaced anyways.
Ran new ground wires for the body, trans, and any others I could find.
Finalized the wiring for the XT6 alt swap.
Mounted the coil and attached all it's wiring.
Checked over the wiring under the hood, just to see what all Bob had deleted or changed. Can't seen to find the wiring for the fan(s) or the thermoswitch. But I may have just not recconized them at the time, as some connectors have been cut off.
Played around with the power steering pump mount some more to get a better belt alignment. Then worked on a tensioner for the drive belt some more. Thinking I have it all sortted out now.

EA81withEA82PSpump1stattempt.jpg

Wrote up a punch-list of things yet to do, and things needed checked over. Lot of stuff un-hooked or removed, what needs checked over.

Ran out of kerosene for the heater, and the lights started to complain about the cold, so I called it a day.

Edited by TomRhere

• 5 months later...

WOW!! Talk about taking ones time doing stuff..:rolleyes:

Work had kept me from doing much of anything on this here Wagon, but we're back on normal 8 hour days again.

Took me some vacation time as of last Wednesday, for a nice long 5 day weekend. Spent most of it out there wrenching...

The engine is now sporting the EA82 SPFI system.

Pulled the front seats, console out so I could do a good carpet cleaning.

Re-bushed the XT6 shifter and installed it.

Driveshaft is in, but rear diff is not. Was swapping in a LSD chunk when I found bad bearings on it. So,,,, more money needed.

Re-installed the front body components that Bob had removed.

Radiator and fan is in and all hooked up.

Made adapter plugs to fit the trans and body wiring.

Got the CD player ready to be installed.

Rigged the aftermarket fuel pump from the XT6 in. Pump is running, but doesn't seem to be moving fuel. Need to look into that......

Lots more to go yet, but,,,,,

IT RUNS !!!!!! :banana:

Fired it up yesterday using starting fluid. :)

Didn't run it long as I need to get coolant in it. Just wanted to see if it would start up.

Need to look into why the windshield wipers want to cycle each time the key is turned on. It's probally the motor itself, as they stop where ever they happen to be when the key is turned off.

Got a few things to purchase yet, but I gained alot these past few days.

• 1 month later...

Still plugging away at it.

Got the front swaybar in, Y-pipe installed, all fluids topped off, brake lines in, brakes bled.
Deciding on what muffler/where before I finalize the exhaust.

Still waiting on a couple parts to get rear diff installed and axles finished.

Except for needing a few ancillary parts, engine bay is all done.

FTAWD XT6 Pistolgrip shifter installed, FWD console pieces installed, Got sound installed along with new speakers. :grin: Gotta have tunes......

frontinterior.jpg

Found me a better electric fan, it's in but I need to swap plugs for it. It be Subaru, so it's good... Actually bolted up to stock mounts too. Seller couldn't say it was for an EA82, but it fitted.

Best of the best.... She runs again!!!!!

Hooked up the test connectors, and just let the fuelpump do it's thing. She finally filled the lines with go-juice. So I twisted the key somemore....

SHE RUNS!!!!!

Had to play with throttle to keep it running, but 3 minutes in, she run good.
Lifters were way noisy for 10-15 minutes, but she's a running good now...

:banana:

Not to shabby for an engine that hasn't run for nearly 7 years.

Edited by TomRhere
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Still not on the road yet..

Shortly after the last update, we got news of Del's Mom not doing to good health wise. So all monies were diverted for needed trips to Kentucky. Sadly, Virginia passed away last week of October.

Since then I've been slowly scrapping money together, buying needed items, and wrenching on it when I can.

Bought some Goodyear Viva 2 tires in the 185/65-14 size, still need to get them mounted.

Interior is all back together now, sound system included.

But,,,,,,

Now, it seems I get to pull the engine back out, and drop another one in.

Not sure what the problem really is, but there is a definete noise coming from the engine that I didn't hear before. Didn't have the exhaust fully hooked up before, but now I do, and that uncovered the engine noise.

Can't really describe the noise, but it don't sound good, as in terminal.

One thing I am curious on though.

Would to much back-pressure from a clogged exhaust cause engine noise?

I know the Y-pipe is good, but the mid-pipe and muffler are unknown really. Mid-pipe was under car, muffler, (really looks almost new), came from another vehicle.

Kinda thinking maybe something is blocking the system, like a mouse nest.

Engine doesn't want to idle now, and it was before I finished the exhaust, so.....?

Don't know.... Just bummed about it.

• 2 months later...

Still not on the road. But,,,,,,,,

I have;

done a rough frontend alignment,

sandblasted the rims, and painted them,

stretched the tires over the rims, with new valve stems, and inflated them,

mounted them on the Wagon,

tightened the stub axle bolts on the rear diff,

installed axles,

filled the diff with slippery stuff,

got her down off the jackstands.

Fired her up, backed her out of the garage. :D

Took the garden hose and sprayed off 16 months worth of dust...

She looks good sitting out in the driveway now.

Really thinking that I'm going to pull the EA81 out, and put the EA82 from the '92 Loyale parts Wagon back in it's place. There is definetly something amiss inside the engine.....

Besides the knock I can't locate source of, there seems to be issues with the valves sticking.

Idle quality sucks, it's all over the place, and will drrop down enough that the engine dies.. Pretty sure it's not from a vac leak as I've checked every vac line, and intake manifold gasket or fitting.

There's a putt,putt,putt from the exhaust that shouldn't be there. And if I hold a piece of paper up to the tailpipe, it draws the paper into the pipe each time one of the putts happen, that be a sticky valve or two....

If I can figure out the source of the knock noise, maybe I'll leave the engine in and drive it a bit, just to see if things clear up. It has sat for some 7 years now, so,,,,,,????

But, she runs, and can be driven around the yard. :banana::drunk:

Hi Tom,

I picked up my first Subaru (92 Loyale) a few weeks ago and promptly joined the forum. I have lots to learn and really appreciate these build documentations. Can't offer much more than an "atta boy", but I'll keep watching this thread.

• Like 1

Tried dumping SeaFoam down the Carb and Brake Booster?

Got a can of Seafoam in the tank, less than 1/4 showing on gauge. Haven't put any in the oil yet...

Uploading pics to my photobucket as I type this. Both of the '88 and of the '92 Loyale parts Wagon.

Will post links when everything is done.....

:popcorn:

Trying to attach a teaser pic at this time,

:popcorn::popcorn:

post-87-136027654446_thumb.jpg