Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Ok, other than doing the 445+ mile tank of gas, I haven't ran it down to the empty mark again. Payday/weekend gets here and I've just topped it off so as to make sure I have gas for the week.

Anyways, car is loving the new wheel bearings...... Rolls much easier now.

Last 2 fill-ups were 292.8 miles, 8.720 gallons added. 349.4 miles, 10.413 gallons added.

I stop filling when I hear it gurgling in the fill-tube, run it up to the next dollar.

Calculator is telling me that the average MPG for these fill-ups/miles driven are in the 32+ MPG range, up from the 28-29 MPG I was doing before hand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not much of any real work done to the Wagon, just been driving it.

Gas mileage is still in the 32+ MPG range.

I have been trying to find the cause of the steering wheel shake it gets at speeds over 50 mph. Not always there though, comes and goes. Been doing it all along since I put the Wagon on the road.

I drive the same roads every day, shake will happen here, but not there. Then it will do it on this section of road when it didn't do it the day before. Hills and curves don't seem to matter any, it'll do it or it won't.

I've rotated the tires all around the car so each tire has been on every corner of the car.

Been under the car while Christopher turns the steering wheel, don't find anything loose or odd movement.

Gone over every nut/bolt to make sure things are properly torqued.

New wheel bearings and ball-joints. Tie-rods appear to be in good shape. No movement of the rack in the mount bushings.

Steering coupler is good. Strut tops are good.

So what am I not seeing?????

Aftermarket cv axles? How's the driveshaft?

Drive axles were in the XT6 when I bought it, converted to coils vs. air before me. Parted out the XT6, kept all the goodies. Even though body was rough, she drove good.

Struts are in great condition to look at them, and give proper rebound response when I bounce the Wagon. Struts look like they are just out of the box, can still read all of the writing on them, easily.

I do not have the driveshaft, nor the rear diff in, period. Trans output is sealed off with good fitting "make-do" plug.

Trans is the XT6 FT4WD 5-speed, center diff is locked in, no go if it ain't.

Edited by TomRhere

Had tires off of it yesterday, just looking things over again.

Noticed some issues with the inner sidewalls of 2 tires, looked like air bubbles in them.

Just got back from buying 4 used Kumho Solus KH16's in the 175/70-14 flavor for $190.80 out the door. These are a 23.65" tire which keeps it in the stock 13" range.

We shall see if things change on the current issue.

Glad you figured out the issue. Old crappy tires are the worst. I've had issues with old tires on every long road trip I've been on. The old volvo we took 9200 miles in 10 days, lost 3 tires, we dubbed cooper life liners, life takers after that. And my legacy broke a belt in the lf in Nevada and started shaking like crazy. 

Really didn't give the tires all that much thought. Did swap them around though, just to see if it made a difference. It didn't, so no more thoughts on that as cause.

Bought those tires new, but how long had they been sitting around is anyone's guess, and tires do have a shelf life.

The tires on it now aren't worn much at all. But they sure changed the handling of the car.

Got an 8:00 appointment this morning with the alignment shop. We shall see what is discovered still needing repaired, or if it's ready for proper alignment now.

• 2 weeks later...

Link to post on alignment results/questions.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/140645-alignment-questions-88-wagon/

Haven't done any work to it, just been digging around looking for info and ideas on alignment. That's one thing I'm not real knowledgeable on, got a good rough idea on things, just not one of my better suits.

Found what I believe to be good info, we shall see. I'll do some wrenching, get another appointment made.

This past Friday, I used the Wagon to aide in dropping an 18' tall tree trunk. Tree had been topped out roughly 6 years ago, time to drop the trunk before it decides to do so itself.

Hooked rope to the top of it and to the trailer hitch, cut the trunk at ground level. As I started pulling on it with the Wagon, I heard a lot of popping/clunking from the front suspension, (still running on front wheel drive only).

Took a couple pull attempts before trunk finally gave way and toppled. But pop/clunk happened every time.

Haven't looked at it yet. Spent the day yesterday cleaning up that mess, and getting the pool closed down for the Winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't located source of clunk in the frontend.

Developed some spark-knock now, pulling some of the steeper hills around here. Timing is where it should be, so I'm thinking it's the gas I bought. Not sure..

Throw-out bearing is wanting to make some noise now. GREAT!!!

Time for new clutch pack. YIPEE YAY!!!!

Played with disty timing after work today, set timing to 19* for now, we'll see what that does in the AM. I do have a bottle of 104 octane booster sitting on the shelf if need be.

Also gave the clutch cable a bit more slack at the fork, see if that helps any on the T-O bearing any. It did seem to be some what to tight, as in not much "play" room. Need it to last a bit longer whilst I scrape money together.

Started tearing down the EA82 engine yesterday for a reseal. Of course,,, one of the intake bolts snapped. Grrr. There's enough of it above the surface to get a grip on, so I have it soaking in PB Blaster.

Got another set of heads here, so if the broken intake bolt don't want to cooperate, I can just swap it out.

Both cams and the rockers look like they are new. Very little wear showing on any of the contact surfaces. Had me thinking that a PO had installed some reground cams, just going by the look of them and the different exhaust note this engine had. But a check of measurements against another set of SPFI cams proved them to be the stock cams.

I'll be back out there after breakfast to finish the tear down. Then I get to start the fun of cleaning all the yuck of the parts.

I'll be loading the short block into the Wagon so I can get it to the shop to see if we can get the broken oil pump bolts out.

Intake bolt did not want to be nice, so I pulled both heads and have the offending one in the Wagon along with the engine.

I'll be dropping an XT6 flywheel off at the local auto machine shop for a reface.

Time to go spend lots of money......

• 3 weeks later...

Been amassing parts to reseal one of the engines here. Started tearing one down and found things that confused me, so I started this thread; http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141568-iding-ea82-blocks/

So more parts to be scrounged. In process of cleaning all of the engine components right now.

Been a hectic week otherwise. The EA81 that's currently in the Wagon tried committing suicide, twice. 

Oil filter decided to crack, causing a severe loss of oil. Got new filter and oil.

Not a good thing to have happen whilst going down the road at 55mph, lifters start rattling severely, look at oil pressure gage and there ain't no pressure = AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Had been hearing a whistle coming from under the hood, tracked it down to a broken nipple on the EGR solenoid. In messing with hose to get it off so I could plug the leak, I unhooked the temp sender's wire without noticing I did so. Noticed temp gauge not working as I headed into work next morning. Made a mental note to check things out during lunch, and continued on towards work. Bad idea.....

Had a heater hose pop off, (swear I tightened the clamp, honest), she got quite hot before I noticed it.

Still running, but I think she's hurt. Just don't seem to be running the same, as in, a bit down on power. Not real bad, just doesn't pull hills like she did before.

Got no choice but to drive it until I get another engine ready to swap in. I'm checking oil and coolant levels daily, just to make sure I'm not using more than before. So far, staying at proper levels on both.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is slow on getting the EA82 engine done. Shop put us on 10 hour days again, so I only have weekends to do wrenching. Over the last 4 weekends, I've cleaned all of the engine parts, they be all shiney now.

I carefully removed the piston rings and cleaned the grooves of the pistons. Oil rings were basically seized, and had to work at getting them off. Put rings back on the pistons.

Spent yesterday installing pistons, heads, oil pan. More time spent cleaning up all of the bolts involved to do so.

I had to make my own oil pan gasket as the one I had bought was for the EA81 not the EA82. No biggy, done that before, and this probably won't be the last time either. Gooped it all up with some Ultra Black, let it cure, put the pan on.

New front/rear crank seals, Brute-Force XT6 clutch pack installed on freshly turned XT6 flywheel.

I used Felpro Perma-Torque head gaskets and did GD's method of adding 5 more Ft-Lbs. of torque as the 4th and final stage.

Had the camera out there, but totally forgot about taking pics.

Be heading back out to do more in a couple hours. Time to start cooking breakfast.

Basic pic of what I started with,

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/88%20GL%20Wagon/001-1.jpg

Lots of cleaning later,

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/88%20GL%20Wagon/004.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/88%20GL%20Wagon/002-1.jpg

Not sure if I'll leave the silver paint on the parts I painted. It was all I had here at the moment. Had to do something to cover them after cleaning the rust off.

Got to pick up some hose of various sizes to redo the coolant and vac lines, then manifold is ready to go on.

T-belts are used, but new shall be bought soon.

Ready to go in next weekend though.

Other parts bought,

clutch pack

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/88%20GL%20Wagon/010.jpg

exhaust/intake gaskets,

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/88%20GL%20Wagon/015.jpg

head gasket, need to get 2 of these if you go thru O'Rielly's, come in single pack.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/88%20GL%20Wagon/011.jpg

More pics to come.

Edited by TomRhere

Spent time out in the garage cleaning up from the engine reseal, and making room to get the Wagon in.

Started getting the engine ready to pull. All that's left is to drop the Y-pipe and hook up the lift.

Company arrived, so it was time to come in for festivities.

Be back out there early tomorrow morning.

Been trying to get pics linked, but they won't go thru for some reason.

Anyways, got the EA81 out, EA82 back in.

Still have radiator hoses/coolant, oil/filter, Y-pipe, mount nuts yet to do. Should have it running later today. Got my usual Saturday errands to run, then a trip to the parts store for new fluids.

Just in from the garage again. Previous mentioned issues were coolant leaks, various hoses. Guess I can't rely on using a screwdriver vs. socket/ratchet to tighten clamps.

Got an intermittent stumble at idle, and seems to be there as I give it more throttle while in neutral.

Timing of cams and disty is dead on.

SPFI intake and related items are from the '92 engine, same for disty along with cap/rotor/wires. That engine ran good from memory.

Got to scrape some money up and get all new for the plugs/wires/cap/rotor, but they all look and check out ok.

When I 1st attempted to start it yesterday, it did not want to fire up. I used the disty that was with the engine that came with the Wagon when I got it, so it was an "unknown". Swapped disty with the one from the '92 and still didn't want to start.

Sprayed some starting fluid into intake, still no go.

Said "THWI" and just held the key in start position. She eventually started to fire on a cylinder or two, then all four. Real rough at first, but smoothed out some. HLA's rattled something fierce also, but they finally quieted down.

Set the timing, closed the hood and went for a drive. Maybe 20 miles total, and it seemed okay for the most part.

It has/had a flat spot pulling hills. Steepest one I hit I was doing 55 mph, and it just bogged down, no response to throttle, downshifting to 4th helped, but not much. Got it back home, popped the hood and found coolant all over the place. So, I'm thinking she got a bit warmer than what gauge was showing. Don't know...

Called it a day.

Got out there today and checked all of the hose clamps, screwdriver wouldn't budge them, socket would. No more leaks now.

Rechecked T-belt and ignition timing, all is good.

Going to do another spin around the area, see what it does.

bratman18 I'll take those from you. PM me a price, shipping would be to 49242.

Another drive around the area was made. Developed an exhaust leak, not bad, but there.

Turned out to be the stud stripped out of the head, rear bolt on DS. I double-nutted the stud when I installed it and hit torque setting. Same when installing the nuts to hold Y-pipe on, hit torque value. No clue as to why it stripped out, but I have a 7/16" stud in there now.

No hills to speak of where I drove, just a jaunt around the area.

Still has a "off-idle" hesitation, but goes good once I get moving.

Bought some MAF cleaner and some Sea-Foam. Got back here and cleaned MAF. Sucked some off the SF thru the vac line for the heater, and proceeded to get the dog all irritated. Sheba was not "happy" with my "it's to get rid of the bugs" explanation.

Tossed some spare T-belts and "other items" in the back, will load tools later. Going to be an interesting trip into work tomorrow.

Been one heck of a 4 day weekend. I'm ready for a day or two off.........

Edited by TomRhere

Still not quite right.

Took usual route into work Monday morning, she did not like any of the hills. I had to downshift into 4th to maintain speed. Never had to do that before, even with a load of stuff in the back, so something isn't right.

Took a look at T-belt alignment during lunch, it looked good.

Took long way home, less hills. Had to do some work on Wife's HHR, so didn't do anything on Wagon.

Tuesday after work, I got it in the garage. Went thru the T-belt install again just to be sure it was done right. T-belts are as close to dead on as they are going to get.

Rechecked ignition timing, set at 20*. Quick jaunt up and down the street, same doggishness happening. Arg!

Wednesday, during lunch, I decided to give it a tad more advance on disty timing. The drive home was better, but it still wasn't right. I could maintain speed going up a hill, but could not increase speed any.

Did a lot of reading on here, and watched MilesFox's videos of T-belt and disty install. Ok, maybe I did the disty wrong...

When I dropped the disty in, I had brought it up on #1 compression stroke and set the timing mark to 20*, installed disty, rotor pointed at #1 tower on cap. Once engine was started and warmed up, I set timing with the timing light. Possible error there.

Did my usual Saturday errands, got it in the garage. Put it on #1 compression stroke at 0*, pulled disty and reinstalled it pointing at #1. Started it up, let it run some, set timing to 20*, called it a day as we had company coming over.

I'll take for a spin later today, see if things improved any.