Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Done the hood thing a couple times, 'tis reason I need new windsheild for this Wagon.

Failed to insure it was properly shut when I left Bob's place when I picked it up.

Southbound semi opened the hood for me.

Still, I'm under the impression that I did torque the lugs down, I'm a stickler for that. 1st thing I do when I put a vehicle back down on it's tires if I've had the tires off of it... Been that way for way to many years.

I'm thinking more on the "to much paint, maybe residule rust" thing. Not sure though...

Do know,

lot of the noise I was hearing is gone. :)

still have an exhaust system rattle, possible loose heatsheild, but not really sure as to where/what yet,

possible u-joint or rear wheel bearing issue. Nothing really shows doing a shake/whobble/rattle check, but I can "hear it", not so much "feel it" driving down the road,

Have rear wheel bearings, just need seals. Have extra driveshaft. Time will show what is going on there.

Some body noises are evident also. IS, it just the wind? Don't know.. Do know I hear a lot of wind noise from the outside mirriors, is that "normal" on these Wagons?

Do know I'm liking the ride this Wagon offers. Way smooth compaired to any of the BRATs.

Did relearn when to shift the trans already.

Liking the "apparent" gas mileage. Time will tell on that.

Wind noise isn't a factory option ;) Mine is quiet in thw wind noise area. But one of the roof support bars must had came unglued, and it rattles going over bumps (So does the rear cargo shade)

I too seem to have a bearing moan right around 25mph which I never had before, I don't think it is the tires as I rotated them, so I guess time will tell, or the 10hrs RT drive time to MI LMAO!

What wheels are you running on this thing? Stock EA82 steelies?

Running the stock XT6 Motion Wheels with 195-65-14 all-season tires.

paintedXT6wheels.jpg

Don't think that tire noise is anything in what I'm hearing, tire tread isn't that aggressive of a design. Bit more than a touring tire, but still a decent street tread.

Been 20 some years since I last owned any make of a Wagon, so really can't say on the "wind-noise", was just a thought.
Just have some bugs to work out, same with any "new "used" vehicle".

Thinking I need a different muffler under it though, it's to quiet. Don't have the cash right now, but thinking I may get the same type muffler that Del's '93 3.1 Pontiac Sunbird had under it. Nice mellow growl from that one, I liked it. :) I do like a good exhaust note...... Nothing overly loud, just nice and mellow,,,, with a growl.
Got a CherryBomb glasspack under the BRAT, different note to the exhaust, yes. But I'm thinking it should be a bit louder than it is. May be it's cause muffler is up where the stock resonator would be, not sure.

Edited by TomRhere

Things seemed to be fairly good the past few days. No new noises, or surprizes.

Thinking I need to re-adjust the clutch, pedal seems a bit off for some reason. No slipage thankfully, just don't feel right to me.

Need to swap the Master switch for the windows. Seems the one on the replacement door card has issues. Can't always do the rear windows, and they worked fine before I swap the front cards out.

Don't have to punch a time clock untill the 5th of July, so I have a few days to do some more things I'm wanting to get done.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to rethink the game plan on this Wagon....

Del hasn't driven/rode in it yet, but said she has thought of taking it for a spin. Asked a few questions as to radio, A/C, and such.

I told her what it has now, and what I had planned for it.

Reply from her was.

"Well, you had better hope I don't like it to much, 'cause you'll loose it".

:eek:

Tore into the dash the other day to work on the Heater controls, weren't functioning right when trying to select different modes.

Thinking I have it fixed now.

Got to swap the resistor pack for fan speeds, only have High.

Found that I didn't have a "CEL" bulb, so replaced that. "CEL" always on. Code 55 which points to a California ECU. Swapped it with another one, no more "CEL".

Lost my driveway Shade area, so called it quits for now. Have some errands to run, then I'll get the BRAT out of the garage and pull the Wagon in so I can do some more tweeking, swapping of interior.

Shade and a box fan that really moves some air = :clap:

Mode seelector for the heater-A/C is still not right. Thinking the unit itself is bad.

Going to be swapping the whole dash to the Brown color, so that will be fixed at the same time.

Got the rear door cards swapped in.

Still need to pull Driver's one back off to swap window switches.

Clutch properly adjusted, with different return spring on the fork.

Strongarmed/mean fisted the hood back to a better shape so it want's to open better. Couldn't always get it to release, so I had the grille out incase I needed to get to the latch.

Grille is now where it belongs.

Steering column work done so I could install the proper steering wheel.

Was wanting to install the Brown trim, but columns are built different '88 and '92, so that didn't happen. I now have a functioning horn.

Decided not to install the 2nd piece of trim under the steerring column. Been hittlng it with my foot when going for the clutch pedal. I really don't see a need for it to be there.

I give up on the mode switches for the different heat settings.

Leave them out of the dash, they work fine.

Put the mount screws back in, and they don't want to change. 'ElllifIknow!!!

Got it set on defroster right now, good for the early morning commute to work.

Don't know.....

Do know, with it mounted to the dash, I can't get the buttons to push in, unless,,,, I leave the covers off them.

Out of the dash, covers on or not, they change state with no issue at all. Grrr.....

Lot of the small issues inside this Wagon were probally caused by Bob's little boy, under the age of 5.

He played inside of either car in Bob's garage while Bob wrenched.

Not trying to blame the boy, just don't know what is up with heater selectors right now.

Some other issues have been over come by swapping things out.

To add to my last post;

One issue when I 1st got the Wagon was windows didn't like to raise up. Had to hit the up until it stopped, bump the down, then hit up again, until window(s) were fully raised.

Much needed lube helped there.

But all of the door glass has streaks in them from the guide rollers, so those will be swapped out.

Headlight and turnsignal switches were both way floppy, swapped those out.

E-brake release button was stuck in, just swapped new handle assembly in.

All kinds of stuff dumped on the seats and carpet, lot's of stainage going on here.

But hey, we're talking a vehicle with 235,XXX miles on it also.

Another reason for buying the '92 parts Wagon. Great looking interior stuff.

Check the pics of it in my pic gallery. Lot's of goodies came with that purchase...:headbang:

Just got to fix all of the little issues. Atleast I can drive it now. :grin:

Spoke to soon I guess.

Had to make a run to the hardware store today, CEL is lit again.

Will pull codes tomorrow during the early morning. Supposed to be cooler on Sunday, 88* vs 101* today.

Gave up working outside around 11:00 this morning, got to overheated.

Been in the house, playing around with the new laptop, getting things transfered from my old one. I be on the new one now..

Step-Grandson #2 is POed, 'cause it was to be his.

Shouldn't of dissed your G'ma dude..........

:Flame:

Yep, CEL on again.

Took off down the road, shifted into 3rd, and saw the light on.

And yeah, Taylor is learning he can't "play" G'ma.......

Woman can get down right mean. Trust me on that one.....

Edited by TomRhere

Finally, replacement windshield is in.

WOW!!

I can see clearly now the crap is gone.

I can see all obstacles in my way.

Gone are the cracks the held me blind.

Going to a bright, brigh,,,t drive to work...

That seriously made me laugh...! Very funny. :cool:

• Like 1

Totally happy with it. :headbang:

Glen did a great job swapping the glass. I'm amazed at how clean it is, or was. Within a mile or so of his shop I had about 10 bugs smashed against it.

Caught up to one of the double-bottom gravel haulers that are constantly on the roads here.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! No,,,, we shall take different road home. Don't need no rock chip(s).

Now, time to get some new wiperblades.

Found needed resistor to fix the code, but left it at work.

Another issue has arose, nothing drastic though.

Seems the "Door Lock" light doesn't always want to go out when I lock the doors. So,,, I get the fun of figuring out which lock isn't fully functioning.

YEA!!!!!

Guess I need to go over everything under the front of the Wagon checking for loosness.

Been hearing a noise when turning into my driveway. Sort of a light clunk, but but more click than clunk

Yesterday, heard what sounded like something was rubbing while doing a slow right turn into a cul-de-sac. 1st time for that.. And didn't hear it again on the drive home.

Be spending time in the garage this weekend...........................