Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Part of the plan this weekend is to check balljoints and such.

Strut tops appear to be good visually, no cracks or the like. I have no idea as to actual mileage or time-in-use for them though. XT6 was converted from air-ride before I got it.

Wagon seems to roll easy, so don't think there's a hangup with the E-brake, but one never knows on some things.................

Gotcha on the cable routing part.

Can't sleep, so beem sitting here thinking on things to check on. Kinda running back over work done to this Wagon since I got it.

Got the thought of a bolt or the likes, not properly tightened/missed, during the assembly process.

Lot of stop/start cycles during the wrenching, with quite a few days between garage times.

Might have over-looked something. Tried to make sure I finished something before I stopped for the day, but.....................

edit:

Remembered to bring the resistor home. So now I can fix the "Check Engine Light".

Edited by TomRhere
added info

HA!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for doing simple tasks today.......................

Think I found source of the click/clunk. Radius rod bushings are bad, DS one is most obvious now. Guess I overlooked those during the build.

Will order new ones.

Laying under the Wagon, I noticed one heck of a lot of oil all over the place.

Traced it back to either the crankseal or oilpump.

It be the pump.........................................

Tried to pull pump for reseal, broke it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Pulled EA81 engine, put newish belts and tensioners on the '92 EA82 out of the parts Wagon, dropped the lump in.

Still need to do some work, but it's in, bolted to the trans, fuel/electrics are done.

Hope to fire it up tomorrow, by noon...

Need it for trip to work Monday AM....

Del let me know 20 minutes ago that "I" was cooking supper tonight. Grr...

Edited by TomRhere

I had the EA81 in and running before I got the parts Wagon, was just holding onto the engine from it, incase of need.

I be needing it................

I'll be going thru the EA81 to freshen it up. New gaskets/seals, SPFI pistons, cam grind. Just wasn't planning to pull it out yet.

Ok!! Back on the road again.

92EA82engine.jpg

Got it buttoned up as of now. Still need to do a road test, but need to make a trip to get some oil too, so I'll combine the trips.

Should do an oil/filter change on it now, but low on cash for all of that.

"CEL" came back on within 15 minutes of run time. I'll pull code later, but it's probally still code 55, as I haven't fixed the issue yet.

Edited by TomRhere

Test run done.

Got some spark knock going on, coolant temp is a tad high right now, above the 1/2 mark.

Spark knock could be from the CEL being on, don't know. Don't do it at 1st start and go, but it does come in shortly afterwards.

Going to get some octane booster and dump it in the tank, see if that helps for now.

Got a Family get-together starting soon, so all wrenching is done for the day.

My Baby Sister, Molly is up here from Texas...................

Made the trip to Horton, Mi. and back with no issues. Roughly 50 mile round trip.

Temp gauge settled in just below the 1/2 mark, so that's better.

Octane booster helped with the spark knock some.

I'll pull code during lunch today, see what that's about. May even try to get that resistor wired in for the 55 code.

Will say that there is quite the difference in driving it now with the EA82 vs the EA81. Seems to have more "get up and go" now, even with the spark knock happening..

Christopher enjoyed driving it on the trip yesterday. Was having problems finding gears, but he doesn't drive a manual that often.

Said he might beat Del in the taking of the Wagon from me. :eek:

Was a good visit with Molly and those that showed.

May I suggest a bat? Then ask him who is cooking dinner :-p

Really didn't see that before.

Del is not a he, "she" be my Wife. :D

I will not tell her about this. That way, you will live to go back home after your visit here. ;)

Really didn't see that before.

Del is not a he, "she" be my Wife. :D

I will not tell her about this. That way, you will live to go back home after your visit here. ;)

Lol! I thought Del was one of ur kids. Ah well, wouldn't be the first time I have offended a female :-p

The Family of Tom R., be here;

Heather Lynn, Daughter, 30, proud Momma of my, (as of today), 2 year old Grand-Daughter Eden Jolee.

Richard Thomas, Son, 29, still alive and breathing. Taking names, kicking backsides as needed.

Rebekah Jean, Daughter, 27, recently married to one heck of a good guy.

All from my 1st marriage.

Heather and Becky have birthdays coming up in September.

Christopher Thomas, Son, 20. Product of the meld Del and I have.... :)

Jennifer Lynn, Step-Daughter, 35.

Micheal Thomas, Step-Son, 37.

Del's children from her 1st marriage.

We have 4 Grand-Son's, 2 Grand-Daughter's between them.

Jen has 3 boys, 1 girl.

Mike has one each.

Edited by TomRhere
I,,, can't count.

Good lord, its a full house! (Granted most are moved out by now) :popcorn:

At least there is one dude my age! Although, I always seem to hang out with people a decade (If not Three) older than me. I seem to relate to them more, old soul if you will.

Yep, good Old Brady Bunch here! !

Christopher should be here,

Rich should be able to make an appearance.

Previous weekend scheduled probally wouldn't of worked for him either. Had a "female friend" up from Colorado. Known that one for years....

Ain't the 1st weekend they've spent together. :popcorn::brow:

Well, it appears that I don't have a code 55 after all.

It does give 5 flashes, then 5 flashes, p-a-u-s-e,,,,,,, repeat.

The flashes look to be the same duration with each set, but there is no "pause" between the sets.

I watched the flashes for a good 2 minutes lastnight, and that was the only thing shown.

While I had the test connectors hooked, I checked timing.

32* BTDC.

WHAT?

No wonder it was spark knocking like crazy. Disty was were it was when I got the car, so PO had been driving it like that.

Reset timing to 20*, shut it off and disconnected the battery.

We shall see how it does on the trip to work this AM.

That is what I understand about 5 continuos flashes, system clear/model deignation.

But why the hay is my "CEL" on then?

Hooked battery up this AM, drove to the store for milk. 3/4 mile down the road, "CEL" is on again.......................................

No extra cash this week, but thinking I should get an oil/filter change and fresh ignition stuff on it.

Little bit of HLA tick at times, also noticed stumbly idle at other times.

No clue as to when stuff was done last, so...........

I've swapped ECU's already. Both units are the Black case type,

Have the Silver case one out of the '92, may swap that in just to see.

Going to be tutoring Christopher in auto repair on his '97 LaSaber the next few days. It's either popped the intake gasket, or a headgasket. Haven't diagnoised it yet. But got to get one of his vehicles back on the road. His '91 2500 Chevy blew the trans last month.

Do know, that this EA82 runs much better than the EA81 I had in there.

Did a couple hard runs up thru the gears coming home from work yesterday. Had it in the upper 5 grand in rpm's a couple times and it still wanted to go.

The EA81 wouldn't do that.

I've also noticed a difference in the exhaust note over the EA81. Really thinking I need a different muffler than the stock XT one under it now. Need something that has a bit of a growl to it. Not loud, just a mellow growl.

Got other things to spend money on 1st though.