Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Well, according to the checks in the FSM, I have a faulty ECU. Actually 2 of them if I understand it right.

Both ECU's set the CEL, no code other than 5 for model designation.

Troubleshooting chart indicats that ECU may be detecting wrong trans, and to check for continuty between pins 30 + 32 on the bodyside connector.

No wire for pin 32, which is for AutoTrans detection. ???!!?!????!!!???

Other work done;

Installed A/C compressor just to get better belt alignment on Alt, belt was squeeling due to Alt being slightly crooked. Better now....

Changed sparkplugs with those out of the EA81 engine, they're not that old.

Plugs out of this EA82 were nasty. Dark Rust Red color to them. Engine idles smoother now.

Thinking I have a bad carrier bearing mount. Hear a rubbery sqeak at times, coming from the backend.

I can move the driveshaft sideways at the carrier. Not good...

Okay. I give up......

Been going back thru the FSM and checking everthing I can find pertaining to issue of "CEL" being on.

NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Flame::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

i feel your pain, however i cant just give up. we have emissions around these parts. im going to pull the bulb out of the dash =):Flame:

In your case, it may be a wiring harness issue.

ECU is looking for a certain Ohm reading from the EGR solenoid. If solenoid is known to be good, then it's a wiring harness issue. Can't say where though...

Most likely, it's in a connector somewhere. Corrosion ,,,, doesn't take much to affect electrical circuits.....

Christopher filled the gas tank this past Sunday evening.

3 round trips to work, at 64 miles each, and some in-town running around.

Had 200 some miles showing on the odo at half tank when we pulled into the drive yesterday.

I'm liking that...... :)

Christopher filled the gas tank this past Sunday evening.

3 round trips to work, at 64 miles each, and some in-town running around.

Had 200 some miles showing on the odo at half tank when we pulled into the drive yesterday.

I'm liking that...... :)

REEEAALLLLYYY. I would be entertained to see what I average going down this weekend. I knew with the Legacy, 230mi would be about 3/4 tank used (Back before I had a working fuel gauge)

Got a shade over 300 showing now. Just,, under the 1/4 mark.

Thinking there's enough to cover the round trip for work tomorrow.

But,,, that depends on if Son does another "midnight rondevous" with his former fiancee or not.

Deny's it, but the odo don't lie.

370+ miles out of the tank of go-juice, was sitting just above the empty mark after the trip home from work yesterday. Son has put more fuel in it as of last night.

Thinking that's not to shabby for mileage.

Running the XT6 FT4WD trans, needing some frontend work and an alignment. Plus, I haven't been to stingy with the go pedal here lately.

Son took off with it at lunch yeaterday, I was sitting outside the shop.

Yeah, it definetly needs a different muffler under it.

Little more bark to the exhaust note would be :headbang:

XT6 shifter bolted right in, no mods needed to tunnel opening.

Center console is from an '86 FWD Sedan. I rolled the top of the shifter boot down some so the pistolgrip shifter handle fit/looks cleaner.

Plan is to swap the interior over to the Brown from the '92 parts Wagon. Have the hi-rise portion for it. Just not sure right now if I want the complete setup from that Wagon, or if I'll do a mix-n-match with some paint applied. Thinking a Black console would be best though.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I have gas gauge issue now.

Trip meter was showing 150+ and around 1/2 tank of gas left from recent fill-up.

Noticed on errand run the AM, that the gauge would move from above 1/2 to below 1/2, straight level roads traveled for the most part. Arrrrggggg!

Squeaky-squeak from the rear got worse today, so I pulled the driveshaft out.

All 3 u-joints have issues. :(

Got out the spare one, and it has issues on the rear 2 u-joints. Auggh!!!!

Split the spare, and installed just the front 1/2. Had to lock the center diff lock to move it.

But no more squeaky-squeak. :)

Time to order new u-joints from Rockford.

Hmmm. Seems this carrierbearing isn't in to much better shape. Probally from sitting from the past 10+ years.

Felt ok spinning it by hand, and no real sideways movment of the rubber isolator, so I deemed it good.

Seems that may have been a bit premature.

Got a lowspeed vibration now that wasn't there before swapping things.

Oh well. I can live with it for now.

I'll try to disassemble the other carrier housing, see if I can replace the various parts. Would be nice to find that the bearing itself is a shelf item. Then I'll just swap a new one into the better isolator/mount.

Thinking it is an off the shelf bearing. Most of the others on these vehicles are. Unlike a few "other makes".

Had to change driving habit a bit yesterday.

Got used to taking off somewhat hard pulling into traffic.

FT4WD trans will get you launched fairly well.

Where as just running with the front wheels driven, will make them front tires spin attempting the same launch.. :burnout:

Had to put more gas into the tank yesterday. Trip meter showing just over 300 miles, gauge sitting about 1/2 the needles width above empty mark.

Looks like I lost about 70 miles on this tank.

Seems to be running decently, haven't noticed anything different as far as performance goes on this tank.

Hoping to get a few frontend/suspension parts ordered out of todays paycheck.

Need to get a new altenator drive belt. This ones a bit to wide and it be signing the blues. Don't have a proper size spare laying around, got every other size though.....

Be the weekend before I order anything from rockauto....

And no, I haven't done the "drown the engine with seafoam" treatment yet.

Have ran a can or two thru the tank with less than 1/3 tank showing on gauge. That's a very strong mixture of it in the fuel.

Need to pick up a can of MAF cleaner, do that, and clean the IAC too.

PCV really looks like it was replaced, just before I bought the '92 parts Wagon. But..............................

Judging by the condition of the sparkplugs that were in it, not to sure about any "prior maintenance".

So, as/when I can save a penny or two on my meager budgit, I'm doing what I can to get this here Wagon in good shape.

She is running good, or seems to be. Just don't understand why such a big drop in mileage.

Last tank was basically the same as that 1st one as far as trips made here and there go.

Swapped out the main accessory drive belt, for a narrower one. Got rid of the annoying noise from that.

Got the Wagon up on ramps and reset the PS camber some. Tire looked to be way left of center with a lean looking at it from the front. Looks and drives a bit better now.

Dumped 1/2 can of seafoam in the oil, going to let it be until I get back home from work tomorrow and do an oil/filter change.

Really thinking I should get a reseal kit for the oilpump though. Got some TOD going on, comes and goes, but more so at cold start than when it's at op temp.

Had other things on the "to-do list" for the Wagon this weekend, but helped Christopher get his Buick LaSabre back on the road yesterday. Wound up replacing the upper intake manifold on it. OEM was warped, kept flooding engine with coolant. All better now.

He's fixing to move out of the house, so need to get one of his 2 vehicles somewhat reliable for him. The '91 Chevy 2500 needs a trans, no can afford that right now.

Swapped the PS headlight housing out today, as it had moisture in it.

Finished the last weekend planned oil/filter change today also. Put a few more miles on it than planned after dumping 1/2 bottle of Seafoam in it Sunday. D'Oh!

But HLA's seemed to be happy with the fresh oil.

Swapped a new bearing into the tensioner pulley for the AC belt and installed that belt.

PS pump was not liking the single narrower belt that much, liked to make it squeal abit at 1st start-n-go. Seems better now, just playing with the steeringwheel at idle speed.

Morning startup will tell the tale on that one.

Thinking I need to get a new oilpan gasket, and cam cover gaskets. Got some leaks going on under there.

Need to hit the carwash and give the engine bay a good washdowm 1st. See where/what is making the mess.....

Ordered oilpan and cam cover gaskets, along with an oilpump reseal kit. Have a newish oilpump, but think I should do the seals before install.

Have to order in thru local parts place all of the suspension bushings. Seems rockauto don't carry much for the XT6 anymore.

While playing around under the hood yesterday, I noticed the AC compressor mount shaking some while engine idled.

Got to checking things and found I forgot a bolt behind the AC drivebelt tensioner. D'OH!!!

Got a bolt in there now.....

Swapped PS pump out with another spare one.

Have had belt squeal if I move the steeringwheel any while sitting still. Was one of the reasons for putting the AC compressor back in. 2 belts are better than one, or so I thought.

Used my 3/8" air ratchet to drive pump while I flushed the fluid out. Got some dirty fluid after cranking the wheels stop-to-stop.

Put everything back together, and still have some slight belt squeal. Grr!

Guess I need to invest into some "new" belts. These look good, but apparently aren't. Pretty much near the end of the adjuster slots for both belts.

Hit the gas station, put $50.00 in it (ouch). Pulled into the carwash and gave it it's 1st real bath since I've owned it. Didn't do any washdown under the hood though. Ran out of coinage. But it definetly needs a good spraydown under there.