Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TomRHere's '88 GL 4WD Wagon

TomRhere

Didn't work on Wagon last night, wasn't feeling all that great.

Got out there tonight for a bit though.

EA81 is mated to the trans, got a few electrical connections made. Fuel/vent lines attached along with MC vac line.

The 2  1/4" coolant lines swapped over from the EA82.

Swapped the EA82 type bracket for the pitchstopper rod over. Going to remove the ER27 type pitch stopper bracket from the trans, as it likes to rub on the spare tire support if I put the spare on it. Makes a very good impresion of a cricket.

Del sounded the dinner bell, so I called it a day.

Should be close to starting it up come this time tomorrow.

That was a great read. Wish you had a bigger pic of the over all wagon

If that is refering to the opening pic of this thread, it's the same pic I had up to begin with. Seems it changed size when I reloaded it.

I'll try to get another full side shot of it up.

Very nice Free is good!

Thanks.

Always like "free". especially when it comes to vehicles. Even if they do take some work to get them on the road.

She's a "work in progress". Not sure if I'll ever get to the point of "being done" with it. Lot's of "plans", just don't have lot's of money.... :(

Spent the past few hours buttoning her up. All that is left to do is the Y-pipe.

Well,,,, actually,,,, put some coolant mixture in it also.

But,,,,, she lives once again.....

Got everything done I could sans Y-pipe, poured some water in the cooling system, hooked up battery, fired that muther up. :)

Damned if an EA81 with no exhaust at all ain't loud in a 2 car garage with the doors all closed... :o

But,,,,,, it,,, sounds,,, so,,, good.......................................... :)

Pushing 10:00 PM as I write this, 3:00 AM is get the "H" out of bed time. So I be done for the night.

Test drive slated for tomorrow after work..

One could say that I guess. If I'd quit breaking things,,,, I would be in better shape.

But it is nice to have extra engines and what not to fall back on.

Was planning to pull the EA82 out to do a reseal on it, drop it back in. Not,,,,, pull it out 'cause I broke it.

Talked to one of the welders at work yesterday. Says he shouldn't have no problem welding a couple nuts to the broken bolts, done it before. All I have to do is get the engine into the shop.

Got the notion to tear it down to the case before doing that. Then I can do a full reseal of it from the head gaskets out, and know she's good for quite a few more miles,.

All buttoned up and test drive completed.

Need to adjust clutch though. The EA81 is sporting the XT6 clutch pack, a bit different than the stock EA82 clutch pack is.

Seems I have a leak in the Y-pipe now, DS is a bit noisy and coming from inside the heatsheilding. Arrrgg.

Engine was a bit rough at first, but settled down and runs decently. Oil pressure on the dash is back up above the 40 mark now, The EA82 was almost always below there except on cold morning startups. Probably just the difference in sending units.

Few tweaks here and there and I'll deem her good to go.

Okay, so I be a dummy. Exhaust leak was due to the flange not sealing to the head due to the remnants of a broken stud, one that used to hold the ASV adapter on. I had stacked 2 gaskets on there before, just forgot to do so this time. Got the die-grinder out and removed protruding/offending bolt remnant. All quiet now.

Adjusted the clutch, feels much better now.

Drove over to the car wash and gave her a bath again. Had enough coinage to give the engine bay a spray down also. Still needs more cleaning under there, but it looks so much better now.

Got to check the oil pressure sender out today. Seems it, or the wire to it at least, didn't like the spray. Wire is hanging, screw head is goned. I have other senders here, so probably just swap it out.

One thing I don't understand is the difference in exhaust note between the EA82 and the EA81. The EA81 is much quieter than the EA82 was. Both are running the SPFI system, same exhaust system.

So why the difference?? IS it because of the difference in compression ratio?

The EA82 had a mellow growl to it while accelerating, also had a light raspy sound when I let off the gas during shifts.

The EA81 does neither of those.

Looks great! I did the wheels on there.

Hmmm. Do believe I detect a typo there. :)

Do believe that,,, ""I"",,,, "did" the wheels.

You however, can "dig" the wheels all you want. :)

It's all good.........

Edited by TomRhere

Had some drive belt squeal yesterday, so I put a bit more tension on it.

Accelerator wanted to hang some on the trip home from work. Put a bit more slack in it at the adjuster when I got home.

Thinking this morning, that I may squirt some lube in the cable housing during lunch break today.

The new rear struts greatly improved the ride quality. Still thinking I need new springs back there though. Springs had about 1/2" free-play when I installed them on the struts. Don't believe that is a good thing.

Apparently, I got water in the accelerator cable when I gave the engine a bath last Saturday.

Pedal was froze this morning...

Got it freed,, but the drive to work was interesting to say the least. Still wanting to hang.

Got some lube in there after pulling the cable off the TB and out of the mount bracket.

We shall see how the morning goes.

My morning was better than Rich's was...

Smoked a deer with his truck. Whole front is goned.

Deer be dead. Punted it a good 50-60 feet.

Well, it's not the throttle cable causing the high idle. Had the issue on drive to/from work. Get back here and popped the hood with engine running. Throttle is sitting on the stop screw, but engine is idling at 2700+.

So,, time to do some reading on possible causes. Thinking TPS and/or IAC mostly.

Pulled the IAC out and soaked it some fuel system cleaner, then sprayed it down with some carb cleaner to finalize the cleaning.

Good thing I have to wear glasses.... 2nd spray of carb cleaner shot right back at the lenses...

Been there, done that,, before I needed the glasses. Not ever wanting that again..... Not fun at all.

Had to pull the PowerSteering pump to get IAC out, pump is currently residing next to the PS strut tower.

Looking at installing the XT6 PS pump now.

Tired of the belt squeal, new/old belt, mongo belt tension, what have you. It squealed, with any movement of the steering wheel if you weren't doing at least 25 MPH. Annoying to say the least..............

Found out that neither the "pour it in the tank" type fuel system cleaner, or a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze will go thru your standard coffee filter paper.

1st time I tried one of them actually, temporarily out of paper towels, my normal filter media. Just wanted to catch any debris out of the fluids before I put them into proper use.

Found that the front 2 nuts holding the throttle body to the intake were loose. Tightened them down, checked the back 2 also.

I'll be doing some around town driving tomorrow, we'll see if I've fixed the "high idle" issue. Seems to be good just running in the driveway now.

Idle speed is still high, but not like it was. Doing between 1,200 and 2,000 now and will drop down to 900 at times. Was doing 2,500 + before. Thinking I can live with it for the moment.

I'll get the good book out and do some checks of things with the DMM, see what that tells me, as I'm thinking a wiring issue more than component issue. Then again......

Do know or believe, that I've eliminated any vac leaks now. Sprayed carb cleaner around at various areas Saturday, that's how I found the throttle body to manifold nuts were loose. Only spot that made a difference in idle during the spray down.

Wagon sure feels different now without the powersteering pump doing it's thing. Did drive it for a bit without powersteering when I first put it on the road. Felt much easier then the BRATs when turning corners and such. But I'd been driving one BRAT or another for the past 10 years, so I was kind of used to manual steering.

• 2 weeks later...

More issues rear their head.

Seems a wheel bearing is going. Not sure where, as the sound fills the interior. Definet "roar" after a few minutes of driving. Corners have no effect on it, speed will change it's pitch.

Maybe,,, it's the center diff not liking being "locked in" for the past couple 1,000 miles.

Ferk..............

Ordered an received front wheel bearings and outer seals. All ready have the inner seals to fit the Imp axles. So now I can get the D/R 5-speed swapped in.

While digging around in the garage, I located another rear bearing set. so,, if needed,, I have one I can swap into the rear.

Still can't pinpoint the source of the noise. It has gotten a bit louder when doing 35 - 45 mph, and falls off as I get closer to 55 mph.

Took a twisty road home last night. No real change in noise, other than speed related changes, going thru the various curves.

Going to ask for Monday/Tuesday off. Take the 4 day weekend, figure things out, and get the trans swap done.

Once again, the engine is sitting on it's milk crate, trans is ready to come out. Just have to finish undoing the shifter, pull the speedometer cable, and it's ready to hit the floor.

Took a break from wrenching to get the yard mowed, otherwise I probably would have the D/R in the Wagon already. Figured I could wrench much later in the day than I could mow. And this yard definitely needed a trim....

Once I have the FT4WD trans out, I'll swap the mounts over to the D/R. Got some new seals for it, so those will be installed. Then get the trans back in.

Then it's on to the frontend, new tie-rods, ball-joints, bearings/seals, axles.

Going to hold off on doing the bearing in the PS rear swing arm in hopes that one shows up here shortly.

Really hoping I can combine shifter parts and keep the XT6 Pistol-grip in there.