Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Touring Wagon Value?

Keep in mind I'm in Arkansas and older Sube's are not very common around these parts...and total POS's (anything) usually go for $500 minimum.

I just came across an 89 GL-10 turbo Touring wagon with 5-speed full time 4wd and a locking (center?) diff. It only has 71+k miles. It does have rust on the bottom edges of doors and some underneath but I don't know the extent of the rust. There are no holes due to the rust. It has one minor scrape on a fender with very minor damage (could be pushed out...ie...no body shop or fender replacement needed). The interior is about a 7-8 on 10pt scale, mainly needs a really good cleaning.

I'm totally blown away that I found a Touring wagon here! Anyway...what do you guys think the value is (with south central US "Idiotusedcarlotownerthinksit'sgold" monetary adjustment)?

And can someone explain the full-time 4wd with diff lock system to me? Will this have a limited slip rear diff?

Thanks,

Jason

My understanding of the FT4wd system is as follows.

There is a differential connecting the front and rear axles. The "diff lock" locks and unlocks this differential. So you can either have sort-of four wheel drive for pavement, or true four wheel drive for low-traction conditions. As to LSD in the rear, I'm not sure. I think the likelihood of that is rather high though.

Can't help you much on the value... besides that if there's much rust on it, I wouldn't pay much for it (more than $500 if it's running well, myself).

Hard to say more than that... depends on where you are. Here in NY, if there's not all that much rust on it, it's worth gold, far as I'm concerned (hence, I'm seriously considering hauling a chassis up from VA that I should be able to slow the rust down).

Out in the Pacific NW, however, Subie's tend to be relatively rust free, and their worth depends on how well they're running. *pathetic sigh*.

Well, the car disappeared on me over the weekend. I guess they sold it. I just figured they'd keep it around for a few months for me to look at when I drive to and from work. They didn't even ask me! The nerve of some dealers. All I can say is he'll never get my business.