Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 2.5 into 2000 outback?

mfmccabe

I'm gearing up to put a 2003 2.5 engine in my 2000 Outback. I'm sure somebodys done one recently. So, should I swap the intake and wire harness from the 2000? I dont see an EGR tube like I had on a 98 I did a few years back, what do I need to do there? Any and all advise appreciated. I know just enough to be dangerous!

Thanks in advance.

easy swap. remove engine, install new one. 00 and 03 are the same engine.

they should both have the same EGR set up, don't compare it to the earlier Phase I EJ25's like the 1998 you're talking about.

of course you should check first, have you looked to see if they have EGR?

if you install an EGR engine into a non-EGR car that's fine, just block it off.

if you install a non-EGR engine into an originally EGR equipped vehicle then you're likely hosing yourself if check engine lights mean anything in your state. if you can ignore it then you're golden (that's what i did).

Thanks for the info, Do these wiring harneses match up? The 2003 has an EGR tube that runs from the back of the block to the intake manifold, the 2000 has no EGR.

So you think just plug the intake manifold where the EGR attached and leave the plug dangle? Leave the 03 harness and manifold?

Is there any advantage to swapping the harness and intake manifold? I dont want check lights on.

Thanks

weird it doesn't have EGR - they're both EJ25's from auto's or...? doesn't matter, you're going the easy way (need No EGR), the other way and you would be hosed.

bolt your 2000 intake manifold on top of the 2003. you'll need two new intake manifold gaskets. that retains the exact same sensors of your vehicle so no way for the ECU to get confused or not like anything.

then you'll need to block the hole in the 2003 engine. make a block off plate and seal it with sealant. I went to ACE hardware, bought a flat piece of stainless steel and cut out a piece to fit. drilled two holes to bolt it in place and applied sealant around the edges.

• 2 months later...

Up and running! Reused the 2000 manifold and wiring harness, plugged the hole for the EGR tube on the '03 head with a threaded plug from the dealer. One MAJOR snag... I discovered AFTER getting it all reassembled only to have a no start issue, That Crank and Cam sprockets were Totally different! Having different trigger points confused the ECU to say the least. Tore the front off again swapped the sprockets, from the 2000 onto the 2003 and VROOM! I'm good to go.