Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Power Steering rack into EA82 car

Gloyale

How did you get the angle of the steering shaft right?

Angle didn't present any problems.

U-joint coupler has enough "bend" in it to work fine.

And now the car has a 1" subframe spacer on the engine crossmember, which helps even more. (made a longer coupler)

But like I said, angle was not an issue for us, even before the lift.

• 11 months later...

Gloyale, I know this is an old thread, but I'd like some clarification on the rack/tierod configuration.

What exactly did you do to retain toe adjustability with the EJ rack on the EA82 with stock hubs/control arms? Which combo of inner and outer tie-rod ends fit the EJ rack and EA82 4-bolt hubs?

I'm about to tackle this project with my EJ swap.

Thanks.

I have done this in my 96 gl, but along with xt6 swap. The xt6 crossmember had the second hole. the xt rack used ea82 lines. the ej rack has the lines that go directly to the rack itself. The xt/ea uses hard lies along the crossmember to meet the hoses from the pump

Gloyale, I know this is an old thread, but I'd like some clarification on the rack/tierod configuration.

What exactly did you do to retain toe adjustability with the EJ rack on the EA82 with stock hubs/control arms? Which combo of inner and outer tie-rod ends fit the EJ rack and EA82 4-bolt hubs?

EJ rack and inner tierods.

EA82 outer tierods.

Adjustability still within range.

Now, EJ rack into an EA81???? not sure, might have to cut down the EJ inner tierods and thread them a bit further down.

What does power steering have to do with ”handling the power”? Just curious. IMO the power doesn't really affect the steering

If power didn't affect steering then AWD would have no advantage over RDW or FWD alone.

Having drivin EJ swapped EA81s and EA82s both with and without power steering. I am very much of the opinion that power steering adds to the ability of the driver to put the power to the road through the twisty stuff.

I currently have 2 non-power steering Subarus, 1 is a FWD XT, the other is an EJ swapped and AWD swapped EA82 wagon. Handling either through really twisty roads, hard cornering, gets hard on the arms. Requires so much work that it takes away from the fun. Also makes powerslides and drifting harder.

Cool .

as it stands I have 2 stock xts a 86 dl and a loaded 88 gl

the manual steering makes no difference in the 2 for me. I prefer driving the manual steered one and was just kind of wondering. now that I think about it I can see the manual steering wearing on one for long runs.

I guess I I'll see how manual steering works out for me when rally x starts.

Edited by zukiru

I'm doing an EJ swap soon and I am seriously considering swapping the steering rack too, but I'm trying to find out if its worth it

How does the EJ pump/lines/rack compare to the EA pump/lines/rack as far as strength and turning power? I'd imagine the EJ stuff is better, but how much?..

Gloyale said using EJ lines to the intermediate EA connector is arguable cleaner, is this cleaner than an entire EJ steering system?

Josh

How does the EJ pump/lines/rack compare to the EA pump/lines/rack as far as strength and turning power? I'd imagine the EJ stuff is better, but how much?..

Josh

Actually, the early EJ pumps are excactly the same as the "L" series pumps.

Around 95 they beefed em up a bit.

For racks, IDK........not much of a difference between EJ and "L" series.

Honestly, if you have power steering in the car, just use that. Converting to a power EJ rack is a good option IF you don't already have power. But if you've got a working EA power rack in there just mate it to the EJ lines and call it good.