Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Increasing Passing Power? EJ22 4EAT:

Yeah I would like to do the torque cams, I think if I ever need to take the heads off this thing I will swap the cams (Since I'm in there)

The '96 and up Outback would have the 2.5 EJ25. The '95 Outback was the only year they put the EJ22 in that trim level.

No need to remove the heads to take out the cams, just the valve covers I believe. I think that's all ski did when he put in the torque grind cams in scotts EJ swap rig... So nothing major needed to be done :grin: I could be wrong though, but that's why I was thinking about it, it seemed pretty simple and straight forward and the heads stayed on...

No need to remove the heads to take out the cams, just the valve covers I believe. I think that's all ski did when he put in the torque grind cams in scotts EJ swap rig... So nothing major needed to be done :grin: I could be wrong though, but that's why I was thinking about it, it seemed pretty simple and straight forward and the heads stayed on...

I yeah it could be done in the car, but I wonder how much of a PITA it would be to do it? Did ski have the engine in when he did it?

I yeah it could be done in the car, but I wonder how much of a PITA it would be to do it? Did ski have the engine in when he did it?

No he didn't have the engine in the car, it was on a table, hehe. So I could see it being a pain, but it would be worth pulling the motor for though it I think :grin: with all the work you've done so far, what's an engine pull at this point? :lol:

Thats true, With 210,000 is it worth dumping cams in it? How much slop is in the crack after all these miles? I suppose, I don't have any blow-by (From rings or valve seats) no ticking or knocking, so it might be worth it.

I think I better put a new waterpump and timing kit on this thing first, running on stuff found in MilesFox's garage :lol:

No he didn't have the engine in the car, it was on a table, hehe. So I could see it being a pain, but it would be worth pulling the motor for though it I think :grin: with all the work you've done so far, what's an engine pull at this point? :lol:

Thats true, With 210,000 is it worth dumping cams in it? How much slop is in the crack after all these miles? I suppose, I don't have any blow-by (From rings or valve seats) no ticking or knocking, so it might be worth it.

I think I better put a new waterpump and timing kit on this thing first, running on stuff found in MilesFox's garage :lol:

Having added Delta cams, I'd say that you would have to be retarded to do any other power modification that costs any money and not add those cams. Also, if your engine blows up the next day due to age, those cams wouldn't be hard to sell, I bet.

I wasn't happy with the power from my EJ22 swap, but when it got the Frankenmotor/Delta cams upgrade, I became happy really quick:) You mentioned your distaste for EJ25s, and if you're rational, then that's fine. If you're just superstitious, though, I think you should reevaluate that setup if you're serious about passing people.

Jacob

P.S. "You" in my first paragraph isn't referring to TheLoyale. I'm using the indefinite you, so "You" means anyone.

P.S. "You" in my first paragraph isn't referring to TheLoyale. I'm using the indefinite you, so "You" means anyone.

I have never owned an EJ25, but have seen a few bad ones (At least the EJ25D) How much more power is an EJ25 going to push out? It would be like driving a Forester wouldn't it?

I have never owned an EJ25, but have seen a few bad ones (At least the EJ25D) How much more power is an EJ25 going to push out? It would be like driving a Forester wouldn't it?

I've never driven a Forester, but I know that going from an EJ22 to a Fankenmotor was a substantial increase in power without that much cost.

Jacob

I've never driven a Forester, but I know that going from an EJ22 to a Fankenmotor was a substantial increase in power without that much cost.

Jacob

I know a certain self-proclaimed rump roast posted a price at one point. Also, at least 2 board members work there. Also, you can call and ask Delta themselves. I don't know how much I spent for mine, since I bought a few things from them at the same time. There are sales, too, so the price can be less than usual. I remember a "Camtoberfest" at one point. They're hilariously cheap compared to some of these other so-called "power mods".

Jacob

I have gotten the privilege to ride in Jacob brat, and even though he was driving nice so he could actually get some traction, you can tell that the thing has balls! The high compression with the low torque range is a really sweet combo.

If you are serious about getting more power, the cams and an ecu tune will get you probably the most power for the least amount of money and work. Tuning the ECU can be expensive though...

Having added Delta cams, I'd say that you would have to be retarded to do any other power modification that costs any money and not add those cams. Also, if your engine blows up the next day due to age, those cams wouldn't be hard to sell, I bet.

I wasn't happy with the power from my EJ22 swap, but when it got the Frankenmotor/Delta cams upgrade, I became happy really quick:) You mentioned your distaste for EJ25s, and if you're rational, then that's fine. If you're just superstitious, though, I think you should reevaluate that setup if you're serious about passing people.

Jacob

Yeah but for all the people that rave over these cams very little info is given.. What's the turn around time for getting the cams back? since this car is my DD.

I'm just wondering how 3 things it effects on a Ej22

1.) idle

2.) midrange

3.) upper power band

Wont I gain more lower end?

I know it's a little late to post. But I saw you guys were asking if you can install the cams in the car. The answer is yes, and it's eaaaasy. I've done a few cams on 2.2's in the car and it's not a problem at all. :) Hope that helps!

Its never to late to reply,

Cheers and thanks!

-Tom

Yeah but for all the people that rave over these cams very little info is given.. What's the turn around time for getting the cams back? since this car is my DD.

I'm just wondering how 3 things it effects on a Ej22

1.) idle

2.) midrange

3.) upper power band

Wont I gain more lower end?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think I'll feel right if I don't respond.

I think it's sort of odd that you would say that. The turnaround time is definitely posted on NASIOC, and it's most likely posted here. 1-3 are also covered here and on NASIOC. Also, two board members work there. Also, they have a phone. I've asked 3 different employees questions, and I was given info.

Jacob