Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new and improved? carb fuel pump

Skip

I recently needed a new fuel pump for my Weber equipped Brat.

I took to lookin and found a Facet solid state electric pump

I had been using on an

A.H. Bugeye Sprite.

popped it in, seems to be working fine.

I learned the aviation guys use them so they must be somewhat reliable??

quote "these are the ones recommended by Rutan Aircraft Factory"

And Burt knows which side of an airfoil goes up!!

~30 bucks, and an easy mount.

BTW NAPA sells a similar model.

have a look see if you care

Facet solid state el. fuel pump

Wow, things have come a long way if this style of fuel pump is now considered reliable.

I bought a bunch of these in, lessee . . . 1980, and put them in use in a rental equipment fleet. Maybe it was the tech, maybe it was our fuel, and maybe it was the QC, but I had many of them fail, and I've never bought one since.

In theory, the transistor feeding the diaphragm's plunger coil is better than the Carter/Holley mechinical points setup, and that's why I bought them, but every one of the failures (IIRC) was related to that electric drive circuit. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have been able to figure out a way to make them last longer, but I just went back to the Carter/Holley "clicker" pumps. You can tell when they're working without diagnostic equipment ;)

The Carter/Holleys are like Kirby vacuums: you pay a lot for older tech that is mature, and for the ability to completey unscrew it if you want to take it apart. Those transistor-driven pumps are folded/welded/glued together, and when it fails out in the woods, you're screwed unless you have a spare. The Carter/Holley you can take apart, blow out, clean the contacts, and move on.

IIRC, my '73 Subaru GL had a clicker-style electric fuel pump. It impressed me, that and its electric rad fan.

If Rutan is suggesting Facet for use in their rigs <shudder>, I guess that they must have gotten better over the years.

Al, you might want to take another look.

They do come apart now, a very simple cleanable check valve shuttle arrangement.

I have been using them for years and have never had a transisitor failure.

First time for everything though.

I have one on both motor coach gen sets and on my TR-3.

Now your right, if it goes wolf out in the woods, yer stuck.

I never tried to open a Suby pump in the woods or in my shop,

but I don't carry a spare one of those either, for 30 bucks and Burt Rutan at my back,

I may just throw one in my onboard emerg. stash.

How about we go back to Lucas "whack it with a stick" pumps??