Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Conversions

yeah, it usually means swapping in just the RX transmission and the limited slip rear end. Also specific to the RX, however, are the sway bars, strut rods, and front struts/springs. i think the rear shocks are the same for all 4WD turbos with manual transmission? not sure about that.

I bought a beater RX I found on a car lot just to part all of that out for my wagon. it handles a lot nicer now though i have a bigger XT6 rear sway bar in it, and i don't miss the front wheel drive at all.

if you're considering this, then some of the shift linkage is different, and so is the electrical for the transmission and differential lock.

Yep, the RX struts are WAY WAY stuffer, 2X as stiff as the 4wd stuff. The spring rates are only 20lbs stiffer than a wagon on the front...and actually, only the wagons have the highest rear spring rates, the RX Coupe has 20 more lbs to catch up. The Sedans (including RX, and the XTs have the weakest rear springs, and well, heres the image:

suspension.jpg

This was posted on the board a while back, i dont remember who gets credit for it, but credit to them.

Oh, and one thing that is not correct about this...every 4WD ive seen, was equipted with a rear swaybar.

Unless I'm Ray Charles

the chart is missing the GL-10

I believe this is the rear sway bar deciding factor

I base this guess on

My 87 4 wd GL-10 turbo wagon has a rear anti sway bar

My 87 4wd GL turbo wagon does not have the rear bar

I had a carbed 4wd GL wagon - no bar

Originally posted by Skip

Unless I'm Ray Charles

the chart is missing the GL-10

I believe this is the rear sway bar deciding factor

I base this guess on

My 87 4 wd GL-10 turbo wagon has a rear anti sway bar

My 87 4wd GL turbo wagon does not have the rear bar

I had a carbed 4wd GL wagon - no bar

an added note to that .. my 87 GL-10 TurboWagon( originally 4wd 3AT) has a rear sway bar.

However, Steves 87 GL-10 TurboWagon (Also origianlly 4wd 3AT) has no rear sway bar..

Go firgure :rolleyes:

my 87 turbo wagon DID NOT have a rear swaybar, i thought that it would, maybe thye rear trailing arms have been switched out?

well, now i have xt6 front and rear swaybar

we swapped rear swaybar into jims wagonb from a turbo XT

The XT-T 4wd came with a 20mm rear bar like the XT-6.

Also, I noticed the springs on the chart, there is a typo, the RX coupe rear spring are the same as the wagon. When I lowered my RX, I used wagon springs thinking they were stiffer but then checking the FSM, it indicates they are the same.

That suck's, I had a '86 XT-T 4wd 5 speed and it had a 20mm that is on my RX now. I also have a '87.5 XT-T 5 speed that still has one on it. I thought it was really strange when I discovered it on the '86and when I saw the '87.5 had it too, I just figured they all did.

Was yours a '85 by chance?

calebz i gots a 87 turbo wagon 3at as well i will take peek later on today to see if i have a swishy bar :)

mine feels realy squishy in the front end and rolls alot but i think that cause of the worn out short struts someone put on there

looks like a hotrod wagon almost

Later this Spring I will complete the transformation on my GL-10 to RX, then go one step further. I will be replacing the on-demand 4WD 5 speed D/R and the 3.90 VLSD with a RX Full-time 4WD 5 speed D/R with center lockable diff and a 3.70 LSD. It already has the RX suspension parts. The next step will be converting it to 5 bolt pattern. And then...............

• 2 weeks later...

Got you guys on a technicality on this one but am not the Dr RX around here. Im having enough trouble getting everything figured out on my 83 Wagon 88 RX tranny install. :)

Heres my "smartass" answer:

RX is their Rally Cross edition Subaru. 85 was not the first "RX" but it was the beginning of their import to the USA.

There is an 83/84 type RX they sold in Australia in very limited production that has a dual carb setup and decals that are special. Not sure about the trans if its special or not, etc.

For me its the addition of sport items such as special trans, swaybars, engine, that are not found on other Subaru models.