Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to buy forged internals

Yea im bout to rebuild a motor as a spare i wan to rebuild it for turbo and i want to run 12-16lbs of boost. Where can i find the parts it is a 1996 legacy 2.2 ej22

I don't have any specifics on what Subaru does to beef up their turbo-charged engines - but I assume it's not all about using forged-steel parts, or not. A turbocharger raises the "effective" compression-ratio, so usually an engine that's going to see 16 lbs. of boost has to have lower compression-ratio pistons stuck into it - than a non-turbo engine uses. And, turbo-pistons usually get some sort of protective coatiing to sustain the extra heat. I suspect they might also do things like using bigger piston pins and rod bushing - but like I said -my comments are not specific to Subaru.

Cheaper to buy an Ej22T block and toss it in the car the way it is. You need a lower base compression ratio to run high boost levels or you'll just blow it to smithereens the first time you hit boost. Do some research on Tubrocharging before you go buying parts. Save yourself some time and headache.

NASIOC.com has more of a performance-oriented crowd that will be able to help more with what and where to buy.