Ultimate Subaru Message Board

He's no Ken Block but damn impressive

2007atlla

This is the sole reason I am buying a Subaru. I love watching a powerful 4 wheel drive beast going sideways with smoke everywhere!

Check it :)

Subaru Wrx STI going Nuts

WAY better driving then Mr. Block is capable of (of course, that isn't saying much. He's awesome at marketing himself, not so much with the driving).

Also, that car is RWD ;)

Chux is right on the first part. Not so much on the rest. That is a RWD.

As far as Block not being a good driver. I will respectfully disagree. I have seen him in person a number fo times. His driving continues to improve. And, he does all that you see in a prepared AWD. Any ********************* can drift a RWD. Trust me I grew up with them.

While that is quite entertaining, I must disagree with the claim that it surpasses the ability of Mr. Block...

RWD drifting and AWD racing (or gymkhana) are entirely different sports. I tend to believe that what Block does in hid race-prepped car requires a bit more finesse than the drifting we see in the video...

I didn't phrase that very well. KB is a very good driver. But I think there are a ton of other drivers who are much better, but Ken gets most of the credit because he's very good at marketing himself (Gymkhana vids, DC gumball cars, etc.). I've seen him in a few Super Specials over the last couple years, and I can't help think that he's a decent driver with an awesome car.

Just irks me a bit when I hear people talking about KB like he's the greatest driver in the country. I won't be missing him in R-A a bit next year, plenty of awesome drivers still in it. :slobber:

Any ********************* can drift a RWD. Trust me I grew up with them.

You willing to bet on that "nowadays"? After the whopping 2" that fell down there a couple weeks back that had all of those FWDs, and AWDs stuck; I'm not so confident... :lol: Most of those folks couldn't grip drive a car with traction control. :rolleyes:

Driving rear wheel drives is a quickly dwindling art. Soon not even cops will know how to effectively handle one. :mad:

• 3 months later...

:rolleyes: This guy. ^^

Nobody said anything about snow or cops. Drifting is that fastest growing sport in the world, hands down. There are thousands of people mastering the art of sideways in a RWD car, it's by no means dying.

If KB's tallents are so lacking, how the hell did he get to join the WRC? How many other American drivers can you find there? After following the WRC since about 97, I can say I've never seen one drive for the big manufacturers.

Marketing or not, you don't see anybody else tearing it up in an AWD car like KB in those infomecials as they called them.

Colin McRae will live as my favorite driver ever, but he was not even the greatest driver ever. I'll give that title to Sabastian Loeb. That man can flat out drive any surface better than anyone alive.

If KB's tallents are so lacking, how the hell did he get to join the WRC?

Because hes filthy stinking rich like all the other pro drivers out there. Well, maybe not all, but most of them were independently wealthy before becoming racecar drivers and could afford to pay for a seat in a car.

That's how you have three or more drivers in a single Le Mans entry and the secondary OEM-WRC teams, they (drivers) cover a large percentage of the costs themselves.

As for Block, he is REALLY good, but Zap is right, best driver award has to go to Seb, Schui, or Sainz.

If you've never heard of the ROC (Race of Champions), check it out. Top drivers competing in a triathlon of motor sports... SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool.

Because hes filthy stinking rich like all the other pro drivers out there. Well, maybe not all, but most of them were independently wealthy before becoming racecar drivers and could afford to pay for a seat in a car.

I must point out, that you would probably be doing the same thing if you were independently wealthy. I wouldn't mind blowing a part of my fortune this way.

AGREED!

I like watching KB's videos and you do have to admit, drifting RWD around a simple track and racing/gymkhana with AWD is WAY WAY different... If you don't belive that, you haven't drifted an AWD on pavement. WHAT A RUSH!!!:banana:

• 9 months later...
Mr block has money... that's what it takes to go fast/drive anything.

No, it doesn't. He was beaten by three drivers who cars didn't add up to the cost of the original purchase price of his. Good drivers in well set up cars is all you need.

That being said though. He has come a long way over the years. He has become a very good driver by working at it by spending hours every day working on his driving.

Money got him in the car. Hard work kept him there!

That I can agree with. But, RA will miss him and Travis. They both attract people.

Is this the Qman that runs Qman's Subaru World? Your site is still listed but not getting much ranking in the TopSubaruSites because whenever anyone clicks on it one gets the 404 Page Not Found Cr*p.

Feel free to contact me at richard at subaruhighmileageclub dot com.

Rich Kahn, SHMC

Here is the deal. I have been racing for 12yrs now. So I know how it is. Btw ken block is a confounder of dc shoe company...

Really... the confounder?!? What is a confounder? Anyone who has not lived under a rock for the last few years knows full well that Ken Block is the co-founder of DC shoes...

You've been racing 12 yrs? That is nice, but I am not sure how that makes you an expert on Ken Block or his motivation or ability level.