Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gas milage/ecs

'84 auto brat, stock carb.

I was getting 12 mpg, ecs light was always on. Last week I took the top off the air cleaner, the ecs light quit coming on, and I got closer to 20+ mpg.

Today I bought a new air filter, put the top back on the air cleaner, and I'm back to the ecs light being on,and assuming I'm back to poor milage.

What should I be looking at in the smog system (?) to clean/ and or replace to improve my milage?

Thanks for any help, dp.

Try just unplugging the ECS all together. When my 82 had the ECS it gave me all sorts of problems from bad mileage to stalling because the feedback solenoid would cut the fuel. I unplugged it and threw it into the woods and it ran just fine for a few weeks until I did the 6cyl swap.

Dave your Brat must have an 02 sensor, it may be the problem, the carb is controled by a set of duty solenoids also.

These may have problems.

and if

you mean "Check engine" light when you say

"ecs light was always on

the error code is stored in the ECU.

Why not retrieve the code and find out what is not to spec?

ECU code retrieval instructions and code chart

BTW most newer Brats do not have ECU's maybe because your's is an automatic or a CA model?

You don't mean "erg" light by chance do you?

I'd like to chuck it, if it won't affect anything. We don't have emission testing up here.

Skip, it is the ecs light, haven't seen the check engine light come on.. Is the o2 sensor on the exhaust somewhere. I've never messed with one before.