Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 hatch wont stay running

Im posting this for a friend of mine.

He has an 81 FWD hatch with the EA71. All of the dash lights are on and the car constantly stalls.It will fire up immediately after it stalls then it will stall again in 1-5 minutes.

Im thinking the alternator or the regulator is bad, but I haven't heard of a bad alternator stalling a carbed engine.

Any idea what would cause the the stalling?Im thinking if either the alt or the reg went bad it would somehow take power away from the coil or ignition and somehow stop it from fireing?

Im thinking the alternator or the regulator is bad, but I haven't heard of a bad alternator stalling a carbed engine.

quote]

Has nothing to do with being carbed or not. A bad alternator on a carbed motor will still let the battery run dead if it has electronic ignition.

I'm pretty sure the ea71s are points though. I don't know for certain, so, you should check.

I'd check the coil from the get go. As well as all the other ignition parts.

I've seen alot of aged coils get hot, give up on making spark until they can rest, and then go again.

I swapped the regulator from one I had on a parts car.Got rid of all the lights in the dash being on, and also stopped it from stalling.However the battery still went flat just from running so the alternator is not charging.

Im thinking the alternator went and took the regulator with it.Then after a certain amount of time there wasn't a stable reference voltage for the ignition then the car would stall.I dunno just my guess.