Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 brat stalling

Yes I know that my carb needs a good cleaning/rebuild but today it stalled on me during accelleration. It just dies and shuts down when Im driving in full accelleration. Just here and there and not all the time. Is my fuel pump slacking or on its way out??

Edited by biffanyus

Have you checked the fuel filter at all? This would be the first place to start.

If that doesn't fix the issue, sounds like you either have a fuel pump having intermittent issues or the accellerator pump inside the carb is starting to die. If you already know you're having carb issues, have it rebuilt and see if it helps.

If its cutting out at full acceleration I wonder if the fuel pump is working properly?

Or perhaps the float level is incorect.

I would also eliminate any electrical issues. Maybe check if the HT leads are loose.

When it dies, does it imiediately start again?

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk

If it's stalling while accelerating, I doubt it's the accelerator pump. That only comes into play as you first hit the gas. Could be a failing fuel pump. If you could cut in a pressure gauge and tape it to the windshield while driving would sort that in short order. Another thought, based on the cold weather comment would be carb icing. Do you have the hot air tube to the air cleaner hooked up? If so, is the flapper working?

Mark

Edited by Datsunrides

If it's stalling while accelerating, I doubt it's the accelerator pump. That only comes into play as you first hit the gas. Could be a failing fuel pump. If you could cut in a pressure gauge and tape it to the windshield while driving would sort that in short order. Another though, based on the cold weather comment would be carb icing. Do you have the hot air tube to the air cleaner hooked up? If so, is the flapper working?

Mark

I dont have the hot air tube attached to the carb but as far of it icing, I live in south FL. Its been cold but not that cold.:lol: I was thinking the carb issues with the cold weather or the fuel pump on its way out. Not sure yet. Havent had any time to look at it some more due to working alot!!!!:-\ It does start right up after it stalls. So I beleive its getting the gas but theres a spot where it wants to die when driving every so often.:confused:

So Florida cold = what 70 degrees? :lol: Actually, while carb icing is more prevalent in closer to freezing temps, it can happen in somewhat warmer weather just due to the velocity of the air flow thru the carb venturi. Probably not your issue though. I would think if is was a fuel pump issue, it would take a few seconds to restart due to the pump having to refill the carb. May be as simple as plugged main jets, which a good carb overhaul would fix.

Mark