Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trash BRAT build

Mugs

So my son and I got started on his BRAT this past weekend. First thing on the docket was take out the "new" EA82 turbo and turbo auto tranny and both wire harnesses. Then we took out the jerry rigged center tunnel.

I tell ya some people should never be allowed to touch a car.

First why the kid wanted to put in his "brand new" rebuilt EA82 turbo is beyond me. In order to do that he had to make custom motor mounts to raise the engine up beyond the frame rails. Well in order for the tranny to mate to the engine he cuts out the center tunnel to raise it up and sheet metal screws a different one in, and then uses plumbers putty to seal it. Well when he did that the heater core box is now in the way of the "new" center tunnel so he cuts the heater box in half and the main air tube was just taped to the heater box with about two rolls of duct tape. On top of that he takes out the 4psd D/R and puts in the auto tranny that came with the turbo loyale.

In the mean time he cuts the crap out of every else, the wire harness, parts of the dash (he was trying to put in the loyale gauge cluster) and the engine cross member.

So we had to yank all this crap out in order to get it to a base configuration so we can actually start building it. Oh well its a good learning project for him and he had two years to get it done before he starts driving.

Now we (I) have to make the decision of whether or not we EJ it or put it back to stock EA81....I know how I am and was, and he has too much "dad" in him. So do I really want a 16 year old with an EJ'd BRAT. But then again maybe if he is putting all the work, money, time and effort into it (which he is) maybe he will be more responsible with it, then I was at his age.

Chase starting in on the engine

PC110005.jpg

coming out

PC110008.jpg

custom welded motor mounts

PC110011.jpg

Yah That will hold real good and fine :eek: :eek: :eek:

PC110012.jpg

starting in on the wire harness

PC120019.jpg

PC120021.jpg

all gone except the EA81 harness, ya he hacked that up too.

PC120022.jpg

center tunnel removed

PC120026.jpg

Fred Flintsone style

PC120025.jpg

looking in from the engine bay

PC120024.jpg

Tranny, we had to pull the wire harness and ecu for it as well.

PC120018.jpg

Edited by Mugs

ej it, it won't break then, also, the gen 1 legacys had an unequal length manifold so if you keep the stock manifold, it will have that growl the old gens had, I know, my lego had the SAME pipe my car has on it now and sounds the same.

Yeah sure it'll sound like an Impreza. But you still can't beat the 1.8s and 1.6s.

I have an unequal header on my 2.2 but I like the sound of my EA82 more.

I would put an ej18 Impreza engine and transmission in it with the SJR carb adapter and a Weber carb. Durable, good mileage, and frankly the normal power of a normal car along with very reliable.

By all means sell the purple people eater engine!

I would also probably put an entire cut down 83 bare bones GL harness in instead of trying to repair that BS that the previous owner did. Essentially starting from scratch but pulling the dash isn't that hard. It would be rather easy to put A/C in while you are at it.

when I was 18 I was driving a 77 camaro with a 350 I dont see anything wrong with giving a kid a car with some kick to it so longs they can prove they respect what they are being given and I belive that if the kid is putting as much time money and energy into building their vehicle then they will more then likely respect it more then somone who just gets a vehicle given to them when they are old enuff to drive

Good Luck. I seen some pics in this thread that I really honestly dont understand. I would seriously after seeing those pics, consider it a TOTAL LOSS. sometimes a previous owner is so incompatabable of ANY maintenance but i think this takes the cake for worst structural integrity etc. Sure they put a new engine (purple) in it, but the tunnell mods, frame mods, wow that is a death trap mostly only good for parts. Carry a fire extenguisher with those wiring hacks what a total loss.

no more to say

Well to quench some of your fears. I have a cross member complete with hub assemblies, rotors, tie rods, and radius arms. Interior wire harness, and engine bay harness, another complete interior of the same color, and a tunnel section. So putting it back together is not going to be as daunting as one may think, Just some time and effort, and a welder for some parts.

As far as the much discussed EJ vs EA81, It will be less expensive (right now) to put back in another EA81. I have one lined up, its just a matter of getting it to my house. So I think we will go with that for now.

And I agree having him doing all the work is going to make him a lot more respectful and responsible then the kids that mommy and daddy just gave him a car...sometimes a very nice on at that.

But even I as his dad can't stay out of the gas. Its not that I am a crazy driver who street races and takes unnecessary risks or even speeds, its just that I get up to speed real quick and I maintain it. I can't stand slow movers in the fast lane. Even when I had my EJ wagon I was always in the throttle running it through the gears, heck I am like that with my daily driver.

But its was the shear thrill of acceleration and speed (especially with the EJ wagon) that gets me every time. I loved just romping on the wagon, especially if another suby of its gen or even new gen was next to me, or behind me. So I know he will more then likely be the same. We are just a family of racers, always have been. I just don't want him to be an idiot about it. Like I was when I was his age.

I think what I might do is EA81 for now, then at 18 when he finishes high school and is off to college the graduation present will be the EJ. But who knows, it will play out how it plays out. I am trying to make very far off plans and not looking at the here and now (I have a bad habit of doing that.) So I guess we will just have to see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies, more to come as work progresses.

well, this looks like a fantastic father/son project that will keep you BOTH occupied for a while! LOL

I think you are making the right choice going back in with an EA81 for now. plenty of time later on for an EJ swap.

ya know, i like purple too, but that particular shade is kinda disgusting and what is up with the blue "accents"??? ewww....the po's taste was all in his mouth...:confused:

welds?? yeah, ok....um, i can do better than that! (and i'm not a welder!) - that is just scary! VERY glad to hear you have the parts to replace all of that!

good luck on the build and definitely keep us posted!:banana:

Real sad part about it is, None of the hackage was nessecary!

The EA82 engine fits between the framerails of the EA81 body without the need of modification.

It's a tight fit, less than 3/8" on either side, but it fits. A PO stuffed one into the '82 BRAT I have.

Hey Mugs, glad to see your stayin' busy. How's the old GL wagon project goin'? Still working on mine when there's time. Cool project with your son, keep up the good work. S.

I drove it around for almost a year but then sold it this July to a forum member...But I am starting in on my own BRAT as well. Already have the EJ donor car for it :banana: 95 lego sedan.

Good Luck. I seen some pics in this thread that I really honestly dont understand. I would seriously after seeing those pics, consider it a TOTAL LOSS. sometimes a previous owner is so incompatabable of ANY maintenance but i think this takes the cake for worst structural integrity etc. Sure they put a new engine (purple) in it, but the tunnell mods, frame mods, wow that is a death trap mostly only good for parts. Carry a fire extenguisher with those wiring hacks what a total loss.

no more to say

So far everything I have gotten including the BRAT has been free. So I am not into it as much as one may think. And It looks more daunting then it really is.

Haven't we all seen the hot rod before and after pics of some of the cars we look at in the hot rod shows. Best one I remember is a bullet riddled shell of a 41 chev, that came out a trophy winner a few years later. I figure this is a cake walk compared to that.