Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad coil bad coil

Guest taprackready

I pulled a used chrome Accell off a VW rabbit which also has electronic ignition. I put it on my 82 Brat and have had no problems with Tach, ignition or otherwise.

Bill

my chrome accell went bad too :-\ chrome 8140 that is.. replaced with a new yellow 8140 and all is good.. been on there a month or so now :)

i remember pullin the coil wire of the ole truck and the coil puked its guts out right there in teh parking lot.. good thing i was in front of a parts store, lol..

if this yellow accell goes bad, i'ma go MSD all the way..

I just want to make sure that everybody here knows that you have to mount these oil filled coils vertically, otherwise you can expect them to burn up. That means that you can't put them in the stock location because the stock location mounts them horizontally. If you want to mount the coil horizontally then you need to get a high vibration coil. Those coils are epoxy filled so that they can be mounted in any direction.

Guest taprackready
I just want to make sure that everybody here knows that you have to mount these oil filled coils vertically, otherwise you can expect them to burn up. That means that you can't put them in the stock location because the stock location mounts them horizontally. If you want to mount the coil horizontally then you need to get a high vibration coil. Those coils are epoxy filled so that they can be mounted in any direction.

Whats your source on that info? So does that mean the factory coils in cars with coils mounted horixontally are epoxy filled?

Bill

I am using the MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil (PN 8222). I don't know about the suby coils, but the accel superstock and msd blaster coils are oil filled. I can't remember what my initial source was. I am not able to provide a direct link, but follow these instructions for one source:

1) go to http://store.summitracing.com/

2) click on "Ignitions & Electronics"

3) click on "Ignition Coils"

4) click on "

MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils"

5) click on "More Details >> " and a new window will pop open.

6) in the new window, click on "TECHNICAL"

Then read and you will see that it says "Do not mount these coils horizontally or upside down. The oil will not sufficiently cover the windings for cooling purposes and the coil may overheat."

I also called Summit Racing to verify and it is true that you cannot mount these coils horizontally. So I paid $10 more and got the high vibration (epoxy filled) coil. I am pretty sure that the same goes for the accel superstock too because it is very similar to the msd blaster. I think I also remember reading about this in the instructions for my coil. Check your instructions and it will tell you how to mount it.

Thats interesting. I have always ran my blaster (plain style) in a horazontal position. Never ran into a problem. Shouldn't the coils be full of oil and not have any air pockets? I was told if you buy a coil that makes noise when shook that it is not any good (not filled all the way).

I've had my Accel Super Stock coil in the stock horizontal position for two years and it appears to be fine. I wonder if it's more of a slow degradation in the coil's performance though.... It's probably time for a new one anyway as part of the tuneup regimen, so I shall soon find out, and this one's going on vertical.