Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird: pulls left when accelerating, pulls right when letting off accelerator

TPain

what are we working with here?

FWD? 4WD? PT4WD? FT4WD? EA81, EA82, turbo, non turbo?

all speeds?

what does it do while turning and accelerating - still pulls?

we can't see it, touch it, hear it, drive it, feel it.....i know we're really good but not telling us stuff requires classes at Hogwartz to figure this out! :lol:

• Like 2

BAHHH HHAAAAAA HA!!!!!

really, classic ball joint symptoms? they'd have to be really shot for that or what? i've never seen that before.

not that other steering components aren't potentially dangerous but i'd hate to see what happens when a ball joint fails at high speed, so i'd check those quick.

When I first got my Brat it was like that - I've seen it a time or two since then - always with EA's with their strange control-arm leading rod setup.... It's not real common because you don't often see *both* of them bad at the same time and if one is good then it typically won't do the gas pedal steering trick.

I'm not entirely sure what effect causes this from the ball joints - but nothing else really makes them do that from what I've seen. All kinds of play in the tie rods and ends won't do it - since the accelerator doesn't really have much effect on the rack and linkage, etc.... it's like some gyroscopic effect I think. :rolleyes:

GD

I would be much more suspicious of the strut rod bushings where they anchor to the body under the front floor pans. If those big rubber bushings are shot the control arm can move forward and back, which changes the toe and alignment based on acceleration, coasting, and braking. Way bigger alignment changes than a worn ball joint can create.

Those don't usually wear out though. Possible. I've never had to replace a single one. Climate?

I've replaced a LOT of ball joints though - some so bad I really don't know how they didn't fall apart.......

Also - the effect is on vs. off the gas pedal - not when braking. So the car is moving forward - you push on the gas and it drifts to the left. Coast and it drifts to the right. The leading rod is still being pushed the entire time and the control arm pivot/bushing pretty much holds it fairly steady. But a worn ball joint allows the knuckle to move independantly of all that. Either way it's pretty scary when you realize how worn that stuff had to get to make it operate like that. I've never replaced a leading rod or control arm bushing on a Subaru - EVER. And I have solved this same problem before so......

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I haven't ever had ball joints that caused this sort of issue, so I can't comment on that. However, I have experienced having a disconnected antiroll bar link (nut/bolt fell off due to poor recheck after maintenance). The AR bar being connected on one side and not the other induced asymmetrical response to engine torque squat/lift. The drift was very noticeable and rather unnerving.

I would be much more suspicious of the strut rod bushings where they anchor to the body under the front floor pans. If those big rubber bushings are shot the control arm can move forward and back, which changes the toe and alignment based on acceleration, coasting, and braking. Way bigger alignment changes than a worn ball joint can create.

+1

This is where I would look as well. I've had this happen on other fwd cars, Ford Fiesta to be exact. although slightly different in design, the symptoms were identical. Another place to look (although less likely) would be the 2 bolts that connect the control arm to the strut rod. This is actually where the problem was in the Fiesta. I've never seen the bolts come loose on a soob but it may be worth checking.

Another place to look (although less likely) would be the 2 bolts that connect the control arm to the strut rod. This is actually where the problem was in the Fiesta. I've never seen the bolts come loose on a soob but it may be worth checking.

I had those come loose on my lifted EA81 wagon once - made a nasty clunking noise when you were on/off the gas pedal. That's all it did though. It was only one side in my case and perhaps any steering effect was dampened by the big tires, etc.

GD

it shouldn't take long to diagnose if it's that bad. crawl under, look for torn boots/missing bushings, jack it up and start yanking on stuff and see what moves.

Yes - and to check the ball joints remember to put a pry bar on between the knuckle and control arm and try to pry them apart - otherwise it will seem like they are tight due to the sway bar holding the control arm tight against the ball joint/knuckle. A large flat-blade screwdriver or pry-bar will tell the real story though.

GD

Well, thats one good guess from Northwet. Another would be the steering rack mount rubber has slipped out and is letting the rack move up and down which changes the toe-in.

Ed

Just had this happen to my lifted 85 wagon. exact same symptoms. I was a 10 minute fix.

yep, another vote for ball-joints. experienced it on a few cars (my '88 XT6, Loyale twice, and mom's '01 Legacy).

Tie rod ends could also do it, but not quite as much.

these 2 are very easy to check. Jack up the car, ebrake on, and wiggle the front wheels around. First put your hands near the bottom of the wheel, and pull straight in/out, you're feeling for play in the ball-joint, there should be zero noticeable movement. then put your hands on "3" and "9", and try to turn the wheel just like it would while steering, this looks for play in tie rod end.

Whatever it is, the force of accelerating/decelerating is causing something to change in your suspension geometry. so look for play in any part of the suspension. But the ball-joint will have the biggest impact on making the car pull one way or the other. The leading rod bushings can only change caster, and while driving straight, it's going to take a big change there to make the car pull.

my ball joints did it too, also did some funny stuff the first time i forgot to put the clamp bolt in the strut, I put the bolt in the tab that keeps the strut in the knuckle, but forgot the clamp one. I had just smashed the dog crap outta my finger and was super pissed and destracted lol. boy i jacked it up and checked it out quick though! :lol::lol::lol: